R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-25-2003, 04:17 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default AFTER MARKET RODS FOR 12s anybody???

with 12s getting more developed i have also noticed a trend of greater engine failures.
My first 12 engine was an M12 which i ran fortnightly for 9 months with the same plug and the same rod.
These days im running hotted up collaris which go like the clappers but go through rods like there going out of style.
Does any one out there know of any after market rod suppliers for picco and novarossi based 12 engines.??????????
kickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:08 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Conrods are subject to a high stress (compression and extension forces), so wearing at conrods is quite normal.

If someone blew a conrod could be for many reasons, but the most poisoning you can do to your conrod (and engine, of course) is to freerev at high rpms during large periods or when you go 'airborne' stick at full trottle.

During all my years at RC (and nitro racing) almost all conrod failures were caused by freereving without the wheels touching ground.

Some time ago Piccos had the bad idea of blowing conrods with no apparent cause, this has been fixed (have been fixed their nasty flameouts?) some time ago. Haven't seen a Nova based blowed conrod ultimately, so you shouldn't fear about this.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Default blown

i have been running extensively modified collaries which have won quite a few races in the last 12 months.
I have also blown more than a hand full of rods and on each occasion its it occurs on the straight at full RPM, and generally after someone has just said (listen to that engine I bet you that is gowing to blow).
The last rod i blew was last weekend at the NSW State titles AUS, venue of the 2001 1/8 world titles. this blew on the last lap of the last qualifier, i had a new rod to go in that night, damn.
I have heard of titanium rods and also RPM manufactured rods over there in the states , if any one has info , greatly appreciated.

Also , im heading over to Vagas in 4 weeks for 10 daysplaying the VNEA pool championships, id love to see some racing while im there, is there a club/ track, hobby shop????????
Old 04-25-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Default 69 er

69, good number, i might turn into a club champ some day, whoops i already am!!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Breaking Con rods?!?!

Guys;

If you are having Con rod failures on a "Regular" basis, I'd say you need to Gear up to get those RPM's down a bit. ANY Engine that is being OVER-Revved will FAIL the Rod eventually.

The Picco Rod problem was simply the lack/misplacemnt of an Oil feed hole to the bottom bushing. This was corrected a long time ago.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:13 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by DanielSon; 04-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Titanium conrods: Big no-no and Bucks sent to trash.

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielSon
If there is interest for titanium rods I can them available shortly for both picco, and nova based motors. Price would be higher compared to a stock rod, but performance benefits, along with durability would out weigh this. Let me know guys.
Not for beign such a pr*ck, but.....

Anyone has noticed that the Titanium is HEAVIER (Titanium, no matter what you use Grade5 - 8 or other is roughly a 30% heavier than Aluminium), BRITTLER (breaks easier) and EXPENSIVE than Aluminium? or I'm the only who has noticed?

Anyway if people wants to send their bucks to the trash on Titanium conrods rather on cheaper and lighter aluminium (and original) conrods is their choose, but after the people will whine because he lost a lot of acceleration on their engine and probably he fried the piston of their engine.

Thermal conductivity of Titanium is real crappy compared with Aluminium so very probably your piston will melt, crack or worse due to the lack of refrigeration provided by the conrod.

Don't be hyped because on full size competition engines use Titanium conrods, those engines are quite different animals and their pistons are refrigerated via continuous shots of oil directly to the internals of the piston (that's what refrigerates them). Seeing a casted and forged 4130 Cr-Mo conrod or a solid billet conrod of the same and compared with an equivalent on titanium the difference is on the thickness of materials (and of course, their price).

Not an F1 engine engineer, but this winter I've constructed a 540cid V8 for my boat and used 'readily available' components (engine pulls >735Hp @ 6900 rpm and about 770Lbs/Ft @ 4900 rpm on a 830cfm Quad barrel) - Only Aluminium, Steel and Iron. Only 'exotic materials' are the exhaust valvles, made on Special alloy to withstand the high temps of exhaust.

My advice, don't be fooled for titanium on your conrods. Waste your bucks on other parts.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 04-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by DanielSon; 04-09-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
If there is interest for titanium rods I can them available shortly for both picco, and nova based motors. Price would be higher compared to a stock rod, but performance benefits, along with durability would out weigh this. Let me know guys.
so the whole rod will be made out of titanium ? how much higher the cost will be ?
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by DanielSon; 04-09-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:09 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Hey DanielSon

What titanium alloy are you going to use???

Hey Corse-R

If your talking about straight titanium(not alloyed, what descriped as Pure, but not really)then yes your right... But alloyed titanium(mixed base)can be quite different, depending on the mixed base...

Have fun!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:11 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I love jesus

Old 04-25-2003, 01:17 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
How many would you be interested in? We are just trying to see if there is a demand for them. It will have bushings of course.
probably just a couple, but then again it depends on the cost.

one more question, what material you will be using as the bushings ?
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Are you fimilar with the properties of flight hardware grade titanium (stuff launched in space?) Do you have a background in materials and thier applications?
FYI I have almost 2 BS degrees (one on Computing - complete - and other on Industrial Engineering - left at 4th year), so much probably I have a grasp about materials. Please shine US about what kind of Titanium alloy you plan to use for those aftermarket conrods, please shine us (if you insist on a titanium alloy, may I suggest you a Ti-6Al-4V alloy, one of the best for their mechanical performance and strenght).

I bet that you WON'T find anything best than a solid billet of 7075 or 7078 Aluminium alloys (well probably you may find any slightly better but at Skyrocket price). If ALL engine manufacturers put an aluminium conrod on their engines and those engines win world championships, there's no need for such Titanium conrods.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice