R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
The gear stripping "problem" of the Mugens is significantly over-hyped. I see no more stripped Mugen gears at my local track then stripped gears in TM, Kyosho or Serpent.

If you decide not to go with the TM G4S RTR (I hear its a great car so you can't go wrong with that purchase) hit you local track/club, see what is easiest to get parts for and start there.
I agree on the hitting the local track/club. But for me, that meant to get what no one else had!
Krafcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafcik View Post
I agree on the hitting the local track/club. But for me, that meant to get what no one else had!
And that is not a bad thing Krafcik. I have already decided my next touring car will be a TM G4S, so I will be in the minority here in DC Metro, aka Mugen Country. LOL.

RCFreak541, the best advice is to be sure whatever you decide on, have fun with it. Build it. Tune it. Break it. Rebuild it. Race it. And then start all over again...LOL. Keep up posted on what you decide to get.

Last edited by va_connoisseur; 06-29-2007 at 08:40 AM.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Well...don't leave the Xray out of the picture. Its becoming alot more popular, and the parts/cars seem to be poppin up everywhere on the .net.

And with the Xray having a drivetrain thats 40 grams lighter then all the others.....the other brands have some work to do in the R&D dept.
kaotickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotickc View Post
Well...don't leave the Xray out of the picture. Its becoming alot more popular, and the parts/cars seem to be poppin up everywhere on the .net.

And with the Xray having a drivetrain thats 40 grams lighter then all the others.....the other brands have some work to do in the R&D dept.
I would ignore everything Kaotickc said.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

In all honesty....pick the car that has the best local shop support. Trust me, its gonna be a pain when you are at the track and break something, then having to leave for the day and order the part. Its much better and easier to go in, buy the part, and get back out there and have a good day.

When each Co. was making their car, I can guarantee you they each had the competitors car(s) on the table as well. They are so close in design that a skilled driver will win with all of them in his hands.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotickc View Post
In all honesty....pick the car that has the best local shop support. Trust me, its gonna be a pain when you are at the track and break something, then having to leave for the day and order the part. Its much better and easier to go in, buy the part, and get back out there and have a good day.

When each Co. was making their car, I can guarantee you they each had the competitors car(s) on the table as well. They are so close in design that a skilled driver will win with all of them in his hands.
I agree. although the g4s rtr motor will not be winning anything anytime soon!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

thanks guys you have helped alot, i think im gunnna go with a mugen mtx4 or mtx4-r. Im gunna try to pick one up for cheap and the end of the racing season and because i need to get some money saved up first.Do you know any good setups for a begginer?
thanks
rcfreak541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak541 View Post
thanks guys you have helped alot, i think im gunnna go with a mugen mtx4 or mtx4-r. Im gunna try to pick one up for cheap and the end of the racing season and because i need to get some money saved up first.Do you know any good setups for a begginer?
thanks

If you are a beginner...I say, worry more about getting around the track without hitting the wall. Learn the car a little first, learn your track first. Setups with help you aid in speed later on...but the box setup or anything thats not Crazy off the wall, will be driveable. Then once yo uknow how the car is reacting, then make changes on what you need to accomodate your driving style. Some setups work perfect for some people, but someone else on the same track may hate it.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

what do you mean by box setup its a chassis kit?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
what do you mean by box setup its a chassis kit?
The kit comes with a setup sheet in the box. Like a basic setting to start with.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

ooooo ok thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
ooooo ok thanks
I'd go with what Mr. kaotickc said. He's a great racer and very knows the hobby well. Don't forget nitrokb.com referenced above. Also, poke your head in the appropriate Mugen thread to chat with Mugen owners.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Welcome to the Mugen Family. There is a thread for the MTX-4 and MTX-4R, do a search and get to reading.

kaotickc is correct. Go with the base setup and learn to get around the track. As your skills grow, you can do the little tweaks to make your lap times go down. But all the tweaks in the world won't help if you spend more time in the boards and on your roof then racing. I feel like Obi-Wan...Use the Force!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

whats a good cheaper engine,pipe, and radio to use for a mtx4?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
whats a good cheaper engine,pipe, and radio to use for a mtx4?
Check the engine thread but for the most part:
Engine - JLR Red Dot is the best sub $250 engine you will find, if you can find one - selling like hot cakes.

Pipe - Mega 2607 or Skyline VR12

Radio - Go crystal-light (i.e. Spektrum DX 2.0 is inexpensive)