Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3 >

Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Old 04-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

ok... im going to end up getting one of these cars but i dont know which one... everytime i lean to one side, i say"hmm... the other one looks good too... mabye i should get that one... but then..." and also, at my hobby store in canada (canadian hobby stores HIGHLY over price) the mtx and serpent 705 are the exact same price..... so price does not matter to me... unless its on ebay cuz i seen some 705's go for pretty cheap..... thanks for ur help
Old 04-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

its like comparing heaven and earth.
ha! no offense.

personally i think both cars are good. The snake has problems of understeering and her centax clutch dun work well in small tight techincal track. to worsen the problem the car is already understeering. if you are running big wide open tracks the snake is your car. this car requires good set-up in order to strike fear in people.

the mugen mtx-3 is a baby Mrx-3. locally we have seen how well it has done. we have tested this baby in big tracks, small tracks, technical tracks you name it. the car performs well with minimium setup. bascially you can race the car out of the box.
one true example is the recent Winter Nats. Kenji Osaka TQ'ed with stock settings. the results speaks for itself. sadly Kenji came in 2nd behind Barry Baker with a very fast NTC-3 which then again is another story.

well hope it helps. the main thing is to have fun in RC.!
cheers

note this not flaming material.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

well im on a fairly technical track but im still leaning toward the serpent.... can the serpent be setup for a tight track?? cuz i dont really care how much time i have to spend seting it up.... thanks for the reply
Old 04-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

as an owner of the mugen, can can tell you that if you buy the mtx-3, you are getting everything you pay for and more.....parts are cheaper, as durable if not more andbetter quality.......and not to mention it flies outta the box!!! this car is faster than any car i have ever run......ever
Old 04-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

well im going to wait for a little more ppl to reply before i make my decision because i find that ppl with mugens always have mugens and they always say they're better. And same with ppl with serpents... so could mabye someone who has both or has had both give some input?? and could the 705 be set up for a technical track???
Old 04-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

well, ive driven the impulse, the impulse street spec and a mugen mtx-2......while there was nothing wrong with the impulse, they just didnt feel......"hooked" yes they can be set up for a technical track, but in my opinion never as easily as the mugen and the mugen when hooked just feels like its connected to you......they can both drive the same track, but you'll find that the mugen drives the track smoother, with less effort which equals faster......its really your opinion though. and in my opinion and many others, the 705 is just cosmetic changes to the original impulse, yes it has some added performance features, but it really isnt that much better than the original impulse. And if you want to get the 705 GO FOR IT!!! you dont need to wait on thise bored for somebody to agree with you! honestly a serpent driver is gonna say 705 and a mugen driver mtx-3, ive driven both, and i chose mugen the last 3 years!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

ok... thanks a lot...... im prob goin to end up havin both this summer..... ill need to spend my money on somethin.. ill get bored just working all summer... ill have to get something... so again, thanks!!
Old 04-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was driving RR last year, and i was just like you landed in this dilemma...705 or MTX-3...
At last i have no regret getting the MTX-3. Infact, i love this MTX-3 more than my old RR which i sold. I dont own a 705, but this car is really meant for big sweeping track (1/8th).
If there are lots of 705 in your club then you'll be fine as they might assist you in setting up the car....frankly speaking, this car doesnt like small technical track...
Believe me, you cant go wrong with a MTX-3.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Nytrochaos
as an owner of the mugen, can can tell you that if you buy the mtx-3, you are getting everything you pay for and more.....parts are cheaper, as durable if not more andbetter quality.......and not to mention it flies outta the box!!! this car is faster than any car i have ever run......ever
I dont know about the quality thing. I have built both cars recently (mtx-3 and 705) and to me the 705 was a better all round car as far as parts go. The rear suspension on the MTX3 had so much slop it could have moved sideways let alone forward (any wonder they are so hard to pass ). The 705 had no slop whatsoever and actually required a good run to get it freed up completely.

I know people are gonna attack me for this and say I am biased towards the 705 as I now run one personally but you would be wrong. I left the Serpent camp 14yrs ago because the quality was bad then and the cars to have where the BMT's. I havent touched a Serpent car until a week ago since then and I have worked on several Mugen cars over the last couple of years for a couple of team mates. To me the quality of Serpent is at present the best with the new 705 and according to the Serpent drivers here it is a vast improvement on the Impulse in all aspects.

To me the Serpent is the better car.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

thank u very much for your input....
Old 04-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by modellor
The rear suspension on the MTX3 had so much slop it could have moved sideways let alone forward (any wonder they are so hard to pass ).
what you could do is to place some electric motor washers behind the rear lower arm (for shorter wheelbase) and in front of the rear lower arm (for longer wheelbase) to get rid of the slop... No big issue
Old 04-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RClover
what you could do is to place some electric motor washers behind the rear lower arm (for shorter wheelbase) and in front of the rear lower arm (for longer wheelbase) to get rid of the slop... No big issue
Yeah, but I was refering to the slop in the pivot balls on the bottom rear wishbones/hub carrier. I should have mentioned that in the post. When I tightened them up to stop the slop the suspension became so tight that it wouldnt drop on it own weight. To me that definately doesnt work for a good set up on the car in race conditions.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was thinking about getting a 705 in fact i had pre-ordered it months ago

but once i saw the mtx3 i was hooked to be honest it wasnt too hard since i had a very good experience with my mtx2

the 705 is definetly the second choice for me because i am sure it is very high quality but it looks like it may be heavier and the cg is not as low as mtx3

i liked the ball diff idea for the rear but at the same time i wondered if it would be somewhat of a problem like my ntc3 which it required very regular maintenance and it was in a sealed gearbox

the 705 looks to me to be totally hopped up out the box

but the mtx3 has every really important hopup already included however i have to admit i have added a few things to it but more because money burns a hole in my pocket than anything else

now when it comes to setup i have heard the 705 can be a challenge to setup but i am positive it can be adjusted to be as good as any other car on any given day

my mtx3 though is as far as i am concerned almost perfect in box stock setup i immediately felt a difference in how fast and easy it was to drive and in effect i felt much faster

being as how the prices are the same where you are it is really just a matter of what looks best to you but here and most places serpent is far more expensive for parts etc than mugen and if you could mailorder or use the internet i am sure you could also save money on the mugen

as far as durability i may have to give the nod to the serpent i would say it would possibly be the only car to be more durable than mtx3 but i have no experience with the v1r series which i also hear are quite durable and gt4 but i my experience with mtx2 mtx3 and ntc3 mugen cars have shown exceptional durabilty

it has also seemed to me that the serpent are better on bigger tracks and mtx3 seems to like small to medium size tracks but the mtx3 seems to be faster than mtx2 which was bad on the big tracks i have run my mtx3 on medium to large size tracks and it hangs right next to ntc3s and sometimes even passes them on the straight whereas the mtx2 couldnt the ntc3 is super fast on those long straights and so is serpent as evident by the ROAR nationals last year and the mtx3 is so much closer than mtx2 i havent even adjusted my gear ratios from stock
Old 04-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

for me the mtx3 is the better car

i couldnt be happier with it than i am
Old 04-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

hey jason, when are u gonna do ur online webcam of workin on ur car again
?h

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.