R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Remove or not the batteries...

hi all,
just wana check whether is it necessary to remove the batteries (servos power) from yr car if u'll only be playing the car once a week...

i know it's harmless to remove than not but the problem is that in order to remove the batteries from my TG10Mk2, i'll need to remove 11 screws!

although it only takes afew minutes to remove them but i'm worried that the constant removal and fitment of the screws might damage the screw holes.

any one here got better ideas for the TG10Mk2?

cheers.
keavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

you do have a rechargeable receiver pack, right? if youre still using alkalines, i suggest you get an inexpensive rechargeable pack and charger so youre servos will stay powerful much longer during a run.

you dont have to remove them from your car, unless youre going to clean the entire car with denatured alcohol and wd40. but you do have to unplug the battery pack or turn the switch off during storage.

im not familiar with that car's layout, but i can suggest the ff:

A. extension cable for the receiver pack

- buy an extension cable (one end male, one end female) for your receiver pack. connect the male end on the battery channel of your receiver.
- make a small hole on the battery box of your kit, enough for the extension cable plug and wires and the receiver pack plug and wires to pass through.
- now that the female plug of the extension and the male plug of the receiver pack are now accessible externally, you can just plug and unplug your receiver pack without removing anything. just make sure that the wires and plugs are away from any rotating drivetrain parts. also, to be safe, get a locking clip for the plugs so that they wont accidentally get unplugged while running your car.

B. switch with charge lead

- buy a switch with a built in charge lead. this way, you can just turn the switch on and off without plugging or unplugging anything.
- the built in charge lead will let you recharge your receiver pack while still mounted on the car.
- the downside of this is that the switch may get easily fouled up by fuel or other dirt and may short or damage your battery. so youll have to regularly check and clean the switch, or buy a silicone switch cover.

hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Remove or not the batteries...-extension.jpg   Remove or not the batteries...-clips.jpg   Remove or not the batteries...-switch.jpg   Remove or not the batteries...-cover.jpg  
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

oopps, double post, sorry
Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Tech Addict

hi,
thanks alot for yr reply...

yup, i can just switch off or unplug the battery cable to the receiver.

you're right in getting a rechargable pack, going to get that soon.
however, to charge the battery pack might be abit tricky without removing them. anyway, i'll try to figure something out...

btw, how long (hours) can the batteries last? in the receiver and in the transmitter...
keavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Elite

you can charge the receiver pack without removing it from the car, as long as the plug and wires are externally accessible. if your charger has alligator plugs, get another servo extension, but with a female plug on one end and loose wires on another. cut and strip one wire shorter than the other (+ and -) so they wont accidentally touch. clip the + and - wires to your charger, plug in the receiver pack on the female end, and charge your batt

depending on the capacity of your battery packs, they could last for more than an hour without recharging. for transmitter packs, they could last for more than 3 to 4 hours, again depending on the capacity and on what type of radio you are using - standard or high end computer radios