R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #31
Tech Master

That looks cool. I love multiple engine stuff.

The engines are connected together in series. In other words 1 is connected to 2 and 2 is connected to 3 and 3 is connected to the transmission. All 3 are driving the car.

I took a different aproach. I have 3 engines connected in parallel. Engine 1, 2 and 3 are all independently connected to the rear axle via independant gears. This gives more flexibility in gearing. as if engine 2 stops 1 and 3 are still driving the car where on yours all 3 have to be working 100%. Thats why I can use different engines with differernt gear in each. The JP revs more than the Sirio so I put in lower gears. The sirio has max power at around 32K where the JP is around 36K. I adjusted the gearing so that they both rev at max power.

But mines built for top speed and yours looks like torque.

Wicked looking car!!

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Im by no means an expert on this. But, wild tiger, it seems to me that your second and third engines and wasting power. The power wont pass from one engine to the other, you have to have all engine connected to the transmission, and on your project, they are not. Again, Im not an expert, and I provably missed something, but...
Umm, I think you have missed something, maybe take a closer look, there is a spur between the engines, so they are all linked to the transmission. The thing is estimated to weigh about 13kg, so the extra engines are to get the thing moving nicely, not to set a speed record ! With only 1 engine it would certainly struggle pulling 13kg !!
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I see the spurs. What Im sayin is that, I dont think the power travels from engine to engine to engine to the transmision. IMO you need to have each engine indivudually conected to the tranny.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
Umm, I think you have missed something, maybe take a closer look, there is a spur between the engines, so they are all linked to the transmission. The thing is estimated to weigh about 13kg, so the extra engines are to get the thing moving nicely, not to set a speed record ! With only 1 engine it would certainly struggle pulling 13kg !!
I would use the Axial 5cc engines!! They rev to 38k rpm. That should get it moving OK

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
I took a different aproach. I have 3 engines connected in parallel. Engine 1, 2 and 3 are all independently connected to the rear axle via independant gears. This gives more flexibility in gearing. as if engine 2 stops 1 and 3 are still driving the car where on yours all 3 have to be working 100%. Thats why I can use different engines with differernt gear in each. The JP revs more than the Sirio so I put in lower gears. The sirio has max power at around 32K where the JP is around 36K. I adjusted the gearing so that they both rev at max power.

But mines built for top speed and yours looks like torque.

Wicked looking car!!
A lot more difficult way of going about it, but I understand how you've gone about it and what you've done!

Yes, mine is for torque
This sucker's heavy.

Thanks dude
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #36
Tech Adept

Quote:
I see the spurs. What Im sayin is that, I dont think the power travels from engine to engine to engine to the transmision. IMO you need to have each engine indivudually conected to the tranny.
It's pretty much the same thing as having all 3 hooked around the tranny!
The power does travel from eng to eng! Eg. if the vehicle has to go up a hill, on a single eng(which ever eng is running, whether it be 1,2,3) it would probably burn out the clutch in that eng, but because the engines are linked, eng 1 helps 2, and engine 1 and 2 help 3! It's the best way I can explain it--trust me, it works!!! Because the engine's are all linked, providing they are all running, they've got no choice -- they have to work together and provide the power !!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
I would use the Axial 5cc engines!! They rev to 38k rpm. That should get it moving OK
Well, I've gone with the OS.30's, Mainly due to price and ease of tuning, they are 5cc aswell and rev to 36k -- close enough
Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

you guys are crazy i would prefer to have 3 cars with what ever engines you are using the have 1 car that goes faster
driftkingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #39
Tech Master

I just updated my blog.

http://ziggy12345-myspeedattemptcar.blogspot.com/

Testing didnt go too well as I had radio problems. Turns out its d=critical where you put the reeiver in the car if you want decent range.

I have installed a 9db antenna on the TX and have 0.6miles range now so it shold be no problem running the car, seeing it is another matter.

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I wonder if you could run the car with no clutches?

It would be a a nightmare to start each of the motors, but they just don't make clutches that are meant for this kind of punishment?

I dunno man, I'm following this with great interest...
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #41
Tech Master

Close call today. I went to Donnington Park raceway and we were going to test the car on thier very large carpark. I started the car and got some interference and the signal went dead. I stopped the engines and we heard some hissing and realised the batteries were shorting out. They are situated right under the fuel tank!!

They stareted to melt and so I very quickly removed the top deck. I ripped the cells out and threw them on the ground and they burst into flames!!

Jeez 3 seconds longer and the car would have been toast! I had another pack that o thought were bad and sure enough we couldnt get any range from the radio gear so it was off home after not a single run.

I have made another 6 cell pack and realise that the + on the top cells is rubbing tha casing of the side cell and when the outer cover wears the cells will short. I have covered each cell in heat shrink tubing to protect them.

More testing tomorrow

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 AM   #42
Tech Master

Updated pics

http://ziggy12345-myspeedattemptcar.blogspot.com/

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Wild Tiger: do you have a video of your car?
steve671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #44
Tech Master

Look on my blog. Its a link to Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcZGFReC0ek

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 AM   #45
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve671 View Post
Wild Tiger: do you have a video of your car?
Of my truck ? No, not yet, it's still not finished !

But can't wait till it is

I've been building it for about 5 months now
(prob about 2/3 to go!)