2.4 ghz

Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2.4 ghz

any comments between spektrum dsm and sanwa 2.4 ghz?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2.4GHz comparison

Any comments on the difference between Futaba's 2.4GHz HRS and Spektrum's 2.4GHz HRS for Futaba.

The Spektrum HRS is nice but I wonder if the Futaba has any advantages.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by going4#1
Any comments on the difference between Futaba's 2.4GHz HRS and Spektrum's 2.4GHz HRS for Futaba.

The Spektrum HRS is nice but I wonder if the Futaba has any advantages.
Try here:

Futaba FASST VS Spektrum DSM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153413
Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Try here:

Futaba FASST VS Spektrum DSM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153413
Some very good info there. Thanks.

It looks like the whole latency thing isn't a very accurate way to measure actual performance and should not be used as a sole indicator of system superiority. The way the receiver interacts with the servos, interference, etc. are all playing a significant role.

One article noted that Nomadio was able to send signals to 2 servos simultaneously, the implication being Spektrum couldn't, or that's the way I read it. Does anyone know if Spektrum can or can't do this? It pretty clear to me that a system capable of simultaneous communication between the RX and both servos would be more efficient. Let's say Futaba had a 5ms latency and Spektrum HRS a 2ms latency. If a one-at-a-time servo communication system added a 4ms latency between swapping between servos, the total latency would increase to 6ms, thus being slower.

It's not hard to imagine that while radio-wise the systems could be very similar, system-wise Futaba could have an edge when used with Futaba servos. Receiving a signal in itself is useless. The signal needs to get to a servo to be any good to a racer. Here Futaba's insider knowledge of their servos could produce a better system.

The one significant note I picked out was that some did have glitching with Spektrum. I've seen this but have never experienced it. A racing buddy has the same car I do, a 960 controlled with an M11+Spektrum Pro and has had severe glitching while I've had no problems with either the 3PK+Spektrum or 3PK+Spektrum HRS.

If you're on Futaba and using Spektrum HRS (like me), try using your original HRS crystal system (if you have one) and see if there is a difference. If you find one in favor of crystal, go Futaba FASST. Or, if Spektrum glitches, go FASST.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Havnt had any issue with spektrum since i switched to spektrum pro and KO Helios combo year ago.
Past Sunday, during practice i lost control over my car, it just went file save mode and didnt switch back. (both RX and TX batts were well charged).
I turned tx on and off few times, took my car to pit area, checked antena etc,
went to track and again, i was able to drive few minutes, till problem appeared once again so i took of receiver, checked everything (antena, batteries, connectors).
I was worried about this issue, there is only one 30min final for nitro, but, well, final went very smooth.

For me, it seems either receiver lost signal from transmitter or transmitter somehow did not sent it.
Strangest thing is that two weeks ago i used the same car with the same electronics setup and had no problem at all
Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In a nut shell , spektrum is slower and more prone to glitching. After it broke two of my cars (small accident , but certainly a broken foam bumper and a savage that took off). I dumped it.

Now I have 100% complete confidence in FASST over spektrum 90% , which to me makes a big difference. It was sorta in the back of my head when running spektrum , with FASST. I focus on the driving only.

As well its just faster and with that emergency driving and last minute adjustments will count more. Plus just a more direct feel.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i would run the futaba fast system if anything. i have heard of alot of people glitching with the regular spektrum stuff but i have not once heard of any one have glitching problems with their Futaba FASST systems. I will say this and IT IS NO B.S.* my futaba system is way fast hands down than my airtronics system was. the futaba crystal/crystaless systems however are a little faster than the FASST system but the futaba stuff all together is faster than anything out. i thought it was all bogus until i recently switched from my M11 to my 3
PK
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JanisK
Havnt had any issue with spektrum since i switched to spektrum pro and KO Helios combo year ago.
Past Sunday, during practice i lost control over my car, it just went file save mode and didnt switch back. (both RX and TX batts were well charged).
I turned tx on and off few times, took my car to pit area, checked antena etc,
went to track and again, i was able to drive few minutes, till problem appeared once again so i took of receiver, checked everything (antena, batteries, connectors).
I was worried about this issue, there is only one 30min final for nitro, but, well, final went very smooth.

For me, it seems either receiver lost signal from transmitter or transmitter somehow did not sent it.
Strangest thing is that two weeks ago i used the same car with the same electronics setup and had no problem at all

Hi

That sounds like the problems I was having, it turned out that the solder on the pins that go into the module had snapped causing a poor connection. I've put this down to the fact that I was constantly putting the module in and out because it wouldn't go in its case otherwise.

Anyway to repair it I had to take the helios apart, unplug the board from the main cpu board and re-solder the pins. These are quite close together but fortunately I had some fine solder and I'd say that my repair has made it stronger than before, I also checked the resistance as a final check.

To cut a long story short I've not had any problems since doing this.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Neil777
Hi

That sounds like the problems I was having, it turned out that the solder on the pins that go into the module had snapped causing a poor connection. I've put this down to the fact that I was constantly putting the module in and out because it wouldn't go in its case otherwise.

Anyway to repair it I had to take the helios apart, unplug the board from the main cpu board and re-solder the pins. These are quite close together but fortunately I had some fine solder and I'd say that my repair has made it stronger than before, I also checked the resistance as a final check.

To cut a long story short I've not had any problems since doing this.
I really appreciate your help.
Looks my gear has the same problem as your, coz i also take out spektrum module after each race day for the same reason - it dosnt fit in box