Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent .21 Motor need Help >

Serpent .21 Motor need Help

Serpent .21 Motor need Help

Old 04-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Serpent .21 Motor need Help

I raced 1/8 gas back in the late 80's til the mid 90's have since gotten out of racing and now back in again racing electrics on carpet. I still have my gas car, with friends trying to talk me into racing again.

In looking at my "Stuff" I have a Serpent motor that I got before runing the Vegas Grand Prix back in 1993. The motor has Serpent markings and both the head and block is engraved by hand with GP#3, GP-Custom. The motor appears to be a 5 port motor with the normal Purple Head. If I remember correctly, the motor was too much for my 2wd car. (finished 4th with the slower motor)

Anyone have any idea who would have modified this motor and if it is worth trying to use??

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi. I dont know in de states, but in europe around 1992-1993 serpent engines changed from rossi manufactured engines under S-power trademark to picco based engines and the serpent engines instead of s-power were recalled MEGA until today.

IIf i remember well s_power (rossi) were with orange/yellow head like gold. And the first MEGA was purple head with horizontal plates (excuse my english) and the las top plates placed vertically.

I suppose your engine is that first mega by picco. Compared with actual engines is very poor performance, but it was a very strong engine difficult to blow up and long lasting. To start with i think it shoulkd work, the crankshaft is SG and it should fit a nowadays clutch (centax,syntech,synchro...) also the distance between the screws in the engine mounts were normalized at that time so i dont think you would have dificult to munt it in an actual chassis.

The exhaust we used to race with that engines picco owners at that time were:

picco efra 048 and picco efra 069. As depend on the engine because there were several version of EXR here in spain (turbo(non turbo/long stroke and short stroke)

hope this helps if thats your engine

best regards
Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I actually have 2 rossi c21 engines, one has gp#5 GP Custom hand engraved, another GP#28 with same hand engraved GP Custom. one is black head another natural finish. Not sure what era but I am thinking late 1980's maybe up to 1991? I could use a clue too!
SS