R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #10531
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by shogun
Hey guys,

a friend gave me his negative diff. thinking that i can make use of it. Haven't tried it with my rr yet cuz i want anyones opinion on the actual use of the diff. and what it does.

where is it best used rear or front. if there's anyone who actually experienced using it can help me. thanks in advance
the negative diff is designed for rear end. It gives you off power steering but high speed stability.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #10532
Tech Addict

Default pinion n spur gears

what gear ratio will i use for
fastest accelaration?
fastest top end speed?
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #10533
Tech Regular

There is no ratio for that, when setting up gearing it is a comparmise between the 2. It's best to ask ur local racwers what they are using. On the longest straight at your track you want ur engine to hit maximum revs just before the end of that straight. Preferably no more than a 5 tooth split with pinions, or the engine will bog down when changing.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:32 AM   #10534
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Dexter
There is no ratio for that, when setting up gearing it is a comparmise between the 2. It's best to ask ur local racwers what they are using. On the longest straight at your track you want ur engine to hit maximum revs just before the end of that straight. Preferably no more than a 5 tooth split with pinions, or the engine will bog down when changing.

Which one first? Set the high end gear ratio (2nd Speed) and than get 4-5 split for the first gear. Or any other thing that we should consider?
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #10535
Tech Elite

Default More Speed (continued......)

Guys;

Ok, I have the 24T pulley conversion in my hands now (still un-opened), but after reading everyone's comments, feel it may indeed be too high of an overall ratio than what I am looking for.

Ideally, a 23T, 2nd gear pinion would probably be the better route to go, but after searching the major kit manufacturers web sites, have not been able to find anything larger than a 22T (from ANY brand) that would possibly fit.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:34 AM   #10536
Tech Adept

I have the conversion with the .8 module gears. Before this I was realizing that the car seemed to hit a brick wall about 2/3 down the track, cuz you could here the engine winding out. Where I race has about a 270ft+ straigt-away. My final drive-ratio dropped from 5.15 to 4.04, and with my modded MT-12Turbo I have revved the engine and clocked it (using the venom gauge) to about 71 mph. I generally like to run my Evo (w/ Lola) with 1/8 scales, and I must say by the end of the straight I'm with in 1-1/2 to 2 car lengths of the big boys. The key to using this is the Correct-Set-up. Meaning the right pipe, clutch-setting (both) and engine tuning to accomodate the reduction in low-end and shift-point punch. I will say the conversion is not for small touring car technical tracks.
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #10537
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Which one first? Set the high end gear ratio (2nd Speed) and than get 4-5 split for the first gear. Or any other thing that we should consider?
My advice would be to start off with your second gear, try and get that roughly right (i would ask fellow racers so u get a starting point to reduce time). Then try and get the nice compramise of strong acceleration and good top speed. If your running a Rody you will be fine with a 5 tooth pinion split and at the end of the day whateva u put on thoes beasts they will chew through the revvs REAL quick, there are amaizing motors.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 AM   #10538
Tech Elite

Thanks for your opinion Dexter. For me here we used to set our combo to 16/20 and 49/44. parking lot tight track. What is really the theory logic on this setting anyway, the low torque / low acceleration/low gear ratio is good in big track ... most people say that but..Why? I still want my car to accelerate fast to the corner even the track is big.. than why i need to change to low gear ratio?
Old 02-17-2004, 03:59 AM   #10539
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion Dexter. For me here we used to set our combo to 16/20 and 49/44. parking lot tight track. What is really the theory logic on this setting anyway, the low torque / low acceleration/low gear ratio is good in big track ... most people say that but..Why? I still want my car to accelerate fast to the corner even the track is big.. than why i need to change to low gear ratio?
esham,
Gearing is always a compromise.
If you take your "parking lot tight track" gearing to a large track, your engine will peak, say, half way down the straight. Quite apart from the fact you might break the engine, the other guys will arrive at the end of that straight maybe 4-5 metres ahead of you. All things being equal, you're unlikely to make up that distance in the infield sections.

So, as Dexter says, set your second gear so as to have the engine peak at the end of the longest straight. Next, choose a first gear that will work decently in the infield/slower sections and that isn't too far below the 2nd. gear. This will depend on the individual track - no one can quote you an ideal gearing for a particular track unless they know other parameters as well - including engine/clutch setting/ tyre size etc. etc.

Don't be frightened to experiment with it.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #10540
Tech Elite

" Don't be frightened to experiment with it. " .. yea.. I need that. once come to racing event all the different in setup and setting will make alot different. Type of engine (std. and modified ), engine tuning, driving skill and chasis tweak.

If I have a powerfull engine crazy speed modified means i have advantage in straight line but i might have problem in field short section which i will tend to overshoot the corner ( Because the engine is too powerfull just light throttle the car accelerate faster and tackle the corner so early difficult to control the racing line...) But if i don't have good engine i'm handichap compare than other that unfair.. And when it is fairly same engine power it will then depend on the engine tuning, pinion and gear ratio setting, car tweak and driving skill. Setting the gear ratio and 2nd speed clutch setting always confuse me. Which is best practise?
1. Set the 2nd speed clutch to engage 2 second later after the 1st gear speed peak or
2. Set the 2nd speed clutch to engage immediately after the 1st gear speed reaching the peak.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:59 AM   #10541
Tech Elite

Quote:

<SNIP>

Which is best practise?
1. Set the 2nd speed clutch to engage 2 second later after the 1st gear speed peak or
2. Set the 2nd speed clutch to engage immediately after the 1st gear speed reaching the peak.
Actually, if the engine has peaked and the 2-speed hasn't changed gears, it isn't going to. Therefore Number "1" isn't really possible, but I think I know what you mean.

Anyway, generally speaking, Number "2".
Again, it's all a compromise - it needs to shift at a point where maximum forward speed is maintained using both gears.
This might mean setting it to change before peak revs.
It may also mean that you set it later than may be ideal to ensure it doesn't change and upset the car in, for instance, a fast sweeper.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 AM   #10542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111

My EVO will be in the shelve from now, the G4 is ruling
*8th**4PX***OS Speed XZ-R
*10th**4PX***OS Speed XZ
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 AM   #10543
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by tl2111
My EVO will be in the shelve from now, the G4 is ruling
Hey Tommy,

Where is the G4 better, do you think? - I know it's a fair bit lighter.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:52 AM   #10544
Tech Elite

Default Evo vs V1

Guys;

For those of you that have owned and raced both the V1R(R) and the EVO.

Do you find the EVO to be vastly superior in handling, especially on large fast tracks?

Thanks,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:23 AM   #10545
Tech Elite

Default Re: Evo vs V1

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

For those of you that have owned and raced both the V1R(R) and the EVO.

Do you find the EVO to be vastly superior in handling, especially on large fast tracks?

Thanks,
Well, "vastly" is a big word, but certainly it is noticeably better - particularly on big tracks, but also on small tracks, methinks.