R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2001, 05:05 PM   #946
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by cornerspeed
With out going back a couple of pages through this post can someone tell me what is necessary for my GRP V 1 R to run wide rear tires. Also were to get the stuff and latest hop ups. What's up with SP belts.
Well it all depends on WHICH tires you are running. Yokomo 30mm rears fit the V1R with no modifications. Ellegi/BEST/FAST/GRP 30mm fit on the rear OK if you file a little away from the rear camber link. Apparently the ZAC 32mm do not fit unless you use the wider (by 1.5mm) rear axles.

There is basically two ways to get wider tires. Firstly you can use 0 offset tires which moves the inside rim inwards about 4mm. If you do this you may have clearance problems. Of alternatively you can use 3-4mm offset rims which moves the outside of the rim outwards 4mm (assuming you do not alter the track). The longer axles are to allow you to space the hex carrier further outwards to create a little more clearance on the rear camber linkage.

I have no idea where to get hopups in the US. www.radiomodels.com.au carries the full range of KFactory hopups.

The SP belts are basically reinforced rubber belts. The standard belts are a "urethane" or plastic toothed part with reinforcing sandwiched between another layer of urethane. The SP belts seem (I am not 100% sure) to have the top layer of urethane, the reinforcing, but the toothed part is made of rubber which is softer and therefore has less friction.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 08:15 PM   #947
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

OMG I AM SOOOOOO INSULTED!!! Tamiyadrifter is a 16 year old kid who recently bought my old RS4 2 kit with a 15FE engine!!! He does race at my track though, he ran 13 laps in the final I ran 38 in, and he DID finish the race
Ok I'm sorry. Don't cry. Well remember when I asked if you had posted a pic of yourself on RC Car Action's message board? You said yes. Well I coulda sworn the poster was Tamiyadrifter. So sorry my mistake. Tam....I mean AMG.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 08:19 PM   #948
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydewynder

Ok I'm sorry. Don't cry. Well remember when I asked if you had posted a pic of yourself on RC Car Action's message board? You said yes. Well I coulda sworn the poster was Tamiyadrifter. So sorry my mistake. Tam....I mean AMG.
So you shouldnt say OMG but AMG (AH My GOD) !!!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 10:33 PM   #949
Tech Elite

Quote:

No problems Sidewhynder If you knew TamiyaDrifter you would know why I am so insulted
Old 12-20-2001, 10:45 PM   #950
Tech Elite

Quote:

No problems Sidewhynder If you knew TamiyaDrifter you would know why I am so insulted
That's why I asked. I was reading posts and said hmmm Dr. Jeckl and Mr. Hyde.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:04 PM   #951
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Well it all depends on WHICH tires you are running. Yokomo 30mm rears fit the V1R with no modifications. Ellegi/BEST/FAST/GRP 30mm fit on the rear OK if you file a little away from the rear camber link. Apparently the ZAC 32mm do not fit unless you use the wider (by 1.5mm) rear axles.

There is basically two ways to get wider tires. Firstly you can use 0 offset tires which moves the inside rim inwards about 4mm. If you do this you may have clearance problems. Of alternatively you can use 3-4mm offset rims which moves the outside of the rim outwards 4mm (assuming you do not alter the track). The longer axles are to allow you to space the hex carrier further outwards to create a little more clearance on the rear camber linkage.

I didnt use any of those mods on mine to put the 32mm zac projects on the car I had some 1mm hex spacers that came with some HPI wheels I bought some time ago and everything fit with no problem the nut that does hold the wheel on is at the verry end of the axle thread but it hasn't moved yet so I have no worries
I do blame W Fok for this since I saw his car had them ,soo I needed a pair for mine
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 11:08 PM   #952
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

With all the OLD jokes going around, maybe we should chip in for some Gerital and Depends undergarments for the senior citizens of the groupe as in (Manticore and W FOK) but I swear will you don't loook older than 40
Old 12-20-2001, 11:19 PM   #953
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
With all the OLD jokes going around, maybe we should chip in for some Gerital and Depends undergarments for the senior citizens of the groupe as in (Manticore and W FOK) but I swear will you don't loook older than 40
Oh sure especially my heart !
Old 12-20-2001, 11:22 PM   #954
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ah yeah who's all gray on the side and a little thin on the top.

BTW I get carded for a rate 17 movie.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:25 PM   #955
Tech Master

Ah yeah who's all gray on the side and a little thin on the top.

Well uuuuuuuuu!!! He He
Old 12-20-2001, 11:35 PM   #956
Tech Elite

Quote:
I didnt use any of those mods on mine to put the 32mm zac projects on the car I had some 1mm hex spacers that came with some HPI wheels I bought some time ago and everything fit with no problem the nut that does hold the wheel on is at the verry end of the axle thread but it hasn't moved yet so I have no worries
I do blame W Fok for this since I saw his car had them ,soo I needed a pair for mine
Good plan I just tried this with my BEST tires and it worked nice, except that there is not much contact patch with the hex area on the rim with the GRP rims. Probably would work well with the Proline style rims (If they did not suck so bad).
Old 12-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #957
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Manticore- Have you seen the 'local' made VoneR chassis which comes with engine mount? It's supposed to be 7075 and only $2xx! I don't know if it is new but it certainly appears to be a good price! The mounts are 4mm screws which are a lot nicer!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 09:48 AM   #958
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Manticore- Have you seen the 'local' made VoneR chassis which comes with engine mount? It's supposed to be 7075 and only $2xx! I don't know if it is new but it certainly appears to be a good price! The mounts are 4mm screws which are a lot nicer!
I have no idea about it !! dont believe to those disclaimer made by Local made options ! they are mostly 6061 instead !
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 AM   #959
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

I have no idea about it !! dont believe to those disclaimer made by Local made options ! they are mostly 6061 instead !
I don't know, but I liked the idea of the 4mm mounting screws and the engine mount looks quite good too, it has been dropped by 1mm. So I bought it!!! After seeing what happened to my Kawa chassis for the MTX-2 (it was it first run last weekend!) I'm not too concerned about it!!! The Kawa was seriously scratched after one run!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 10:08 AM   #960
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hey Guys!

Anyone interested in a GRP? Come and take a look in the for sale threads! I love my V one R. But I just need to raise some funds for the winter carpet season stuff.
Shawn
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote