R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #9286
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 585
Default Gearing at Lilydale?

Guys,
What should I be doing to the stock gearing to get down the back straight at Lilydale ?

Should I go 22/27 on the pinion? I'm running the 12TR but before I know it i'll be wanting more grunt ... I'm already thinking about it !

Shoulda known better !

BTW - I run the tyres as big as they come until they're almost down to the rims basically . I know it's naughty but i'm too lousy to get myself a truer at this stage and hey... I'm only 17 on Saturday, the folding stuff doesn't grow on trees ya know .
V-One S Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 PM   #9287
Tech Master
 
tl2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Love 1/8th
Posts: 1,561
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Usually 17/22 but 17/21 OK depending on tyre size. The split is a bit more than ideal but seems a fair compromise if the engine is flexible enough - the Rody really shines on this track.

Take notes, please - The Vic's are on in January.

The reason I asked is that both Brendale and Moorebank always look really big in photo's - never run at either track, drat.

Tommy, can't you just narrow your eyes for that last 10 metres at Moorebank.
Gav, I have an narrow eyes already so you suggest that I should close my eyes right!!
__________________
*Tourer**Futaba***SpeedPassion
*F1**4PX***TORO
*12th**4PX***TORO
*8th**4PX***OS Speed XZ-R
*10th**4PX***OS Speed XZ
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:19 PM   #9288
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tl2111
so you suggest that I should close my eyes right!!
It works for me!!!

On a side note another thing which I have done in the past, but many people has criticised me for is to shim the head a little. If you add a .1mm shim you will find that the motor finds a little more RPM at the expense of some torque.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:25 PM   #9289
Tech Master
 
tl2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Love 1/8th
Posts: 1,561
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
It works for me!!!

On a side note another thing which I have done in the past, but many people has criticised me for is to shim the head a little. If you add a .1mm shim you will find that the motor finds a little more RPM at the expense of some torque.
will not 2nd about your statement.
__________________
*Tourer**Futaba***SpeedPassion
*F1**4PX***TORO
*12th**4PX***TORO
*8th**4PX***OS Speed XZ-R
*10th**4PX***OS Speed XZ
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:43 PM   #9290
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tl2111
will not 2nd about your statement.
Pardon? Not agree? Dont worry almost everybody tells me the same
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:57 PM   #9291
Tech Master
 
tl2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Love 1/8th
Posts: 1,561
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Pardon? Not agree? Dont worry almost everybody tells me the same
No... I mean I totally agree with your statement
__________________
*Tourer**Futaba***SpeedPassion
*F1**4PX***TORO
*12th**4PX***TORO
*8th**4PX***OS Speed XZ-R
*10th**4PX***OS Speed XZ
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:09 AM   #9292
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tl2111
No... I mean I totally agree with your statement
Hahahahaha ok ok. I have told this to a few people before and they refuse to believe me! Also find this is a good way to reduce engine temp a little. I found my Rody .12 came with a shim from factory......................
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 AM   #9293
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Hahahahaha ok ok. I have told this to a few people before and they refuse to believe me! Also find this is a good way to reduce engine temp a little. I found my Rody .12 came with a shim from factory......................
Not that no one would believe you. I do it myself to reduce running temp especially with our hot and humid conditions. There is some truth when experience racers say that for long high speed tracks, colder plugs and shimming is needed.

Ummm, your Rody with the extra shim should be a special edition from the factory from what I gather...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:31 AM   #9294
Tech Master
 
tl2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Love 1/8th
Posts: 1,561
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Not that no one would believe you. I do it myself to reduce running temp especially with our hot and humid conditions. There is some truth when experience racers say that for long high speed tracks, colder plugs and shimming is needed.

Ummm, your Rody with the extra shim should be a special edition from the factory from what I gather...
All Rody comes with 1 silver and 2 copper shims. and my rody have total of .6mm in it
__________________
*Tourer**Futaba***SpeedPassion
*F1**4PX***TORO
*12th**4PX***TORO
*8th**4PX***OS Speed XZ-R
*10th**4PX***OS Speed XZ
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:47 AM   #9295
Tech Master
 
alana07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: There
Posts: 1,814
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Not really



AMGRacer,
is the track in the pictures Helles raceway which hosted the 2001 1/8th onroad world championships? looks familiar to me...
__________________
没有最好,只有更好!!!
alana07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:28 AM   #9296
Tech Master
 
T-shirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,035
Default

WOW
Josh cyrul is coming to australia for 2003 australian championship
T-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 03:39 AM   #9297
Tech Regular
 
rrgt_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by alana07
AMGRacer,
is the track in the pictures Helles raceway which hosted the 2001 1/8th onroad world championships? looks familiar to me...
no alana those photos were the ones that i took at the 2003 qld titles with my didgital camera!

jeremy.
rrgt_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:29 AM   #9298
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default Re: Gearing at Lilydale?

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S Racer
Guys,
What should I be doing to the stock gearing to get down the back straight at Lilydale ?

Should I go 22/27 on the pinion? I'm running the 12TR but before I know it i'll be wanting more grunt ... I'm already thinking about it !

Shoulda known better !

BTW - I run the tyres as big as they come until they're almost down to the rims basically . I know it's naughty but i'm too lousy to get myself a truer at this stage and hey... I'm only 17 on Saturday, the folding stuff doesn't grow on trees ya know .

Thats a tough one - we haven't run there since we got the 0.8 gears.
However we'll run 21/60 27/55. Exactly how that's going to go with a 12TR, I don't know, but it might just be OK. You'll really need to experiment a bit.

Hey, Happy birthday for Saturday.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 AM   #9299
Tech Master
 
Sp Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,624
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

You'll find that you will have to gear it a little higher
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 04:41 AM   #9300
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tl2111
Gav, I have an narrow eyes already so you suggest that I should close my eyes right!!
Excuse me while I quickly remove my foot from my mouth.

Actually, it looks like we've discovered your speed secret.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho VoneR Roller $120 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-06-2003 07:22 PM
kyosho VoneR w/ nova, pipe $200 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-25-2003 03:09 AM
Kyosho VoneR Macky R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-31-2002 09:04 AM
Brand new Kyosho VoneR kit $230 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-22-2001 02:12 PM
NIB Kyosho VoneR $250 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-21-2001 06:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:26 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net