R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2003, 06:28 AM   #9061
Tech Elite

I guess you mean a stiffer rear bar, not springs, eh.
As far as I can see, it shortens the sway bar and therefore makes it stiffer.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #9062
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
I guess you mean a stiffer rear bar, not springs, eh.
As far as I can see, it shortens the sway bar and therefore makes it stiffer.
I actually meant why not just use stiffer rear springs rather than going to the trouble of modding the rear bar? Is there some benefit of stiffening the rear with the bar vs using the stock bar and stiffer rear spings?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:13 AM   #9063
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I actually meant why not just use stiffer rear springs rather than going to the trouble of modding the rear bar? Is there some benefit of stiffening the rear with the bar vs using the stock bar and stiffer rear spings?
Good point . . and I expect the effects would be similar.
In my mind I was thinking that I might have to use a considerably larger diameter bar to get the same effect as a shorter bar of the same diameter and drilling out the ball stops could be avoided - not much meat for those 3mm grub screws.

The only other coniderations were trying to keep the springs the same 'cos I reckon the balance F/R is pretty good, otherwise.
In fact, there are quite a few options to try - we're still running 2mm front droop which "appears" too much in relation to the rear. That together with a diff oil change, decrease front toe out etc. might all work well without too much interaction.

BTW, are you going to the Nat's AMG?
Where's finchy lately - is he going?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #9064
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
The only other coniderations were trying to keep the springs the same 'cos I reckon the balance F/R is pretty good, otherwise.
In fact, there are quite a few options to try - we're still running 2mm front droop which "appears" too much in relation to the rear. That together with a diff oil change, decrease front toe out etc. might all work well without too much interaction.

BTW, are you going to the Nat's AMG?
Where's finchy lately - is he going?
Yeah I agree with this statement. I have found the front end changes have made the front rear balance very good. This is why I am quizzing Kyle to try and get an understanding why Moorebank is different to the tracks I run on. Of course each track has different characteristics so I am tyring to get an understanding of how the V1RR works on a VHT track

I have a project "go-live" right on the Nats weekend so I will not be going to that one either!! Dunno about finchy, he is awful quiet lately
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #9065
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Generally speaking stiffer in roll with softer springs is a better option than softer roll bars and stiffer springs.

Stiff in roll helps the car react quickly and the soft spings help the car put the power down better. Obviously there is more to it than that but in summary thats the logic.

You can still mod the rear arms to run both pickup points for the rear swaw bar, just leave the ball ends in the original place and add 2 more in the other location. Just dont shorten the sway bar.

All within reason of course.

Kyle
Kyle Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #9066
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Hazell
Generally speaking stiffer in roll with softer springs is a better option than softer roll bars and stiffer springs.

Stiff in roll helps the car react quickly and the soft spings help the car put the power down better. Obviously there is more to it than that but in summary thats the logic.

You can still mod the rear arms to run both pickup points for the rear swaw bar, just leave the ball ends in the original place and add 2 more in the other location. Just dont shorten the sway bar.

All within reason of course.

Kyle
OK that makes sense. So what I am assuming is that Moorebank has so much bulk traction that you can hurl the car into a corner and it will just stick and keep on rolling the chassis over until you get to a point where you traction roll. This is mayby why the rear is overrolling due the the tires just being glued to the track?

I assume you have limited the rear droop to almost nothing? Have you tried the MTX3 rear uprights on the rear of the V1RR? You will need to dremel the rear arms shorter by around 2mm on each side to get under the 200mm limit with 30mm tires.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #9067
Tech Initiate

Smile PLEASE HELP

I believe i tried before...asking for help and you guys didn't help me...but...i have a Kyosho V1R on the way...and i have a mugen mt12 right here as well....with slide carb,SG shaft,rear exhaust,and so on... HOW DO YOU INSTALL A SG SHAFT ENGINE INTO A V1R....i'm curious...so i will know before i recieve my V1R.....and also....WHAT TYPE OF DIFF GREASE DO I NEED....PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOOK PICS A FEW MINUTES AGO....HERES 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mugen mt12 4.jpg (22.9 KB, 98 views)
mr.fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:17 PM   #9068
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.fury
I believe i tried before...asking for help and you guys didn't help me...but...i have a Kyosho V1R on the way...and i have a mugen mt12 right here as well....with slide carb,SG shaft,rear exhaust,and so on... HOW DO YOU INSTALL A SG SHAFT ENGINE INTO A V1R....i'm curious...so i will know before i recieve my V1R.....and also....WHAT TYPE OF DIFF GREASE DO I NEED....PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOOK PICS A FEW MINUTES AGO....HERES 1
you dont have a manual for this kit?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:18 PM   #9069
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Here is the V1R manual
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:21 PM   #9070
Tech Regular

Default rear bar mod

Kyle, AMG, or Taylor Racing,

The rear stab bar modification...I cant' really picture it going by the posts. Can you guys post a picture of it or how it is supposed to look like?
Thanks
StepPins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 PM   #9071
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Setup

Try this setup just use the silver springs all round on a slippery track, maybe try the Fantom light blue springs later in the day if the traction comes up.

This is probably how i will put the car on the track to start with at the nationals and then go from there. Its not far from the base setup actually.

500 wt oil all rnd
8 deg caster
1.5 deg neg camber - Front
Front shocks in the upper hole on bottom arm
+1 droop - ie virtually no doop
.5 deg toe out
Full stiff swarbar - run it at 45 deg until the traction comes up

No 10 servo saver

Rear shocks out up the top and lower hole in the arm
Upper arm in lower out upper
2 deg toe in
+5 droop
Shorten the rear sway bar - Gold
30,000 wt diff oil
27t side pully

Run a 1 mm split - 4mm ride height

Have a good one

Kyle
Kyle Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #9072
Tech Adept

Default v1r vs. v1rr

Guys,
I really enjoy the tech talk. I just bought what I thought was a V1RR to convert to a EVO, however looking at the manual for the V1R that was posted I think this is what I have. Can you guys define the differences between the two models. While I know I can convert both models I will be a little upset if I do have a V1R since I supposedly bought a V1rr.

Thanks
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:22 AM   #9073
Tech Regular

Default Re: v1r vs. v1rr

Quote:
Originally posted by coldeye
Guys,
I really enjoy the tech talk. I just bought what I thought was a V1RR to convert to a EVO, however looking at the manual for the V1R that was posted I think this is what I have. Can you guys define the differences between the two models. While I know I can convert both models I will be a little upset if I do have a V1R since I supposedly bought a V1rr.

Thanks
The v-one-r does not have the floating rear body mount and front one-way. The v-one-rr has these features. The EVO conversions was one of the best investments I've made, aside from getting the V-one-RR
StepPins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:55 AM   #9074
Tech Adept

Default Re: v1r vs. v1rr

Quote:
Originally posted by coldeye
Guys,

Thanks
U can still convert it to an EVO...
apmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:01 AM   #9075
Tech Elite

Default Re: rear bar mod

Quote:
Originally posted by StepPins
Kyle, AMG, or Taylor Racing,

The rear stab bar modification...I cant' really picture it going by the posts. Can you guys post a picture of it or how it is supposed to look like?
Thanks
Haven't got a picture, sorry, but I'll try to explain:

Remove the ballstud for the sway bar which is on the lower rear arm.
Drill the ballstud hole all the way through the arm.
Mount the ballstud in the other end of the hole you just drilled.

This will move the mounting point for the bar about 15mm rearwards.

Clear as mud?