R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 AM   #9046
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
The other theory that I have been kicking around is what difference the smaller front tires have on the front geometry. Since my tires are much smaller on the front than the rear my front/rear roll centres will be different than somebody running the 1:1 ratio. Perhaps this is why our cars are handling different........... Somebody more knowledgable about this stuff can mayby comment.
Yes, running smaller front tires while maintaning the ride height will make your front end roll center higher.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 AM   #9047
Tech Elite

Oh yeah lastly if you are after a stiffer rear bar then I might have an answer for you.

I have a CHARGE brand bar which mounts up similar to the MTX3/Serpent adjustable bars. It is only 50mm long from pivot point to connection point where the normal bar is 65mm long. This gives around 20% more stiffness. You can move the connectors inwards another 5mm to get another 15% stiffness. This is much stiffer than even the gold bar run with the connection points moved as far inwards as possible.

If you want to give this bar a test you can buy it off me. I have never actually run the bar due to lack of need basically
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:11 AM   #9048
Tech Elite

Taylor-Racing..... Nice result man I bet you were pleased!! Good to heard your Rody held together as well

You are running a pretty high ride height. Why did you decide to go that high??
Old 09-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #9049
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

AMG,

Thanks for the offer on the sway bar, have seen it in the photos on this thread. I will see how desperate i get.

I run the gold bar with the pickup points relocated to the inside of the arms, have you tried this?

With a split of 1mm i run the 27t side pully, so maybe there are some things to try with the splits etc.

Main thing is to sort some of these minor problems out before the Nationals which are not to far away.

Thanks for the chat

Kyle
Kyle Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 AM   #9050
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Hazell
AMG,

Thanks for the offer on the sway bar, have seen it in the photos on this thread. I will see how desperate i get.

I run the gold bar with the pickup points relocated to the inside of the arms, have you tried this?

With a split of 1mm i run the 27t side pully, so maybe there are some things to try with the splits etc.

Main thing is to sort some of these minor problems out before the Nationals which are not to far away.

Thanks for the chat

Kyle
I never tried the shorter swaybar trick as I solved the on power steering issue with the overdrive and tire choice on my track. But a few guys have recommended this mod on the old RR on the Brendale track. I might have to try it out if the rear starts rolling around too much.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:32 AM   #9051
Tech Elite

Quote:
Taylor-Racing..... Nice result man I bet you were pleased!! Good to heard your Rody held together as well
Thanks, yeah we were happy. I think we must have the only Rody still in one piece - gotta keep feeding them conrods.

Quote:

You are running a pretty high ride height. Why did you decide to go that high??
A bit of a long story . . . . one of the guys was experimenting with ride heights on his MTX-3 (higher than ours, too ) and getting good results. He broke the track record a couple of times a few weeks ago, so that was good enough for me.
We used to run the R at 4mm or 4.5mm and experimented with raising it recently. When I changed to big tyres last Saturday, I decided to leave the ride height to see how the Evo handled it. It was really good. As soon as I get rid of that little on power understeer, I'll be able to use words like "on rails". Our track is medium traction, I'd say and these sort of heights probably wouldn't work at Moorebank, though.

When you look at it, it's not too far from the kit ride height and it saves some scratches on that pretty chassis.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:18 AM   #9052
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
A bit of a long story . . . . one of the guys was experimenting with ride heights on his MTX-3 (higher than ours, too ) and getting good results. He broke the track record a couple of times a few weeks ago, so that was good enough for me.
We used to run the R at 4mm or 4.5mm and experimented with raising it recently. When I changed to big tyres last Saturday, I decided to leave the ride height to see how the Evo handled it. It was really good. As soon as I get rid of that little on power understeer, I'll be able to use words like "on rails". Our track is medium traction, I'd say and these sort of heights probably wouldn't work at Moorebank, though.

When you look at it, it's not too far from the kit ride height and it saves some scratches on that pretty chassis.
Yeah I was interested because I went with 6 and 6.5 as per the kit recommendation and lo and behold the car handles awesome!! It definately handles better than 4mm on the more "parking lot" style bumpy and lower grip tracks. Go figure.

You having on power push as well? Try a stiffer rear diff, the LSD or slightly stiffer rear springs. But you probably already knew that
Old 09-09-2003, 04:58 AM   #9053
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yeah I was interested because I went with 6 and 6.5 as per the kit recommendation and lo and behold the car handles awesome!! It definately handles better than 4mm on the more "parking lot" style bumpy and lower grip tracks. Go figure.

You having on power push as well? Try a stiffer rear diff, the LSD or slightly stiffer rear springs. But you probably already knew that
Yes, JordanC was running - wait for it - 9mm or something like that.
. . . . . . and his car WAS on rails.

On the push . . we have only a little, but the boy likes plenty of steering.
More to the point, it seems to me this car could really take advantage of agressive steering - it dives into corners so well. I'm thinking that this aspect should be exploited - it's what the MTX-3 boys seem to have done, and I have watched their progress from bugger all steering out of the box to plenty, now.

Now that you mention it, a diff change might be the go, also. I guess this is the problem using the kit oils. During the build, I agonised over this a bit but wanted to see what the Kyosho baseline was like. Consequently, I really have no idea of what weight is in the diff or the shocks.
Maybe a change to 10K for a start.

About that relocating of pickup points for the rear bar - it looks like the ball stud will be a pretty tight fit, but might make changing spurs a bit easier.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:15 AM   #9054
Tech Elite

Default Re: Centax for Reflex

Quote:
Originally posted by tinman
Will this work for the V-one R? just need to confirm..

thanks,
tinman,
I have no idea. The Reflex gears are different to the Kyosho.
Try the G4 thread - I'm sure they will have the answer.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #9055
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Oh yeah lastly if you are after a stiffer rear bar then I might have an answer for you.

I have a CHARGE brand bar which mounts up similar to the MTX3/Serpent adjustable bars. It is only 50mm long from pivot point to connection point where the normal bar is 65mm long. This gives around 20% more stiffness. You can move the connectors inwards another 5mm to get another 15% stiffness. This is much stiffer than even the gold bar run with the connection points moved as far inwards as possible.

If you want to give this bar a test you can buy it off me. I have never actually run the bar due to lack of need basically
AMGRacer you have PM
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:28 AM   #9056
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Ride Heights

There pretty wild ride hieghts, are you guys racing at the local ice skateing rink or something!!!!!

Anything above 4 mm in reasonable traction at Mbank will see you having an epic battle with the wall. Not to mention having to use resonably small tyres 60 and 61 at the max. Even thats a bit on the big side.

With relocating the ball ends for the rear sway bar yes its a bit tight. Drill through from the outside of the arm and then screw the ball in carefully from the inside. The just shorten the sway bar to suit evenly from both sides. Once you have run the car this way you probably wont change it back. It makes no difference to changing the spur gears etc.

Kyle
Kyle Hazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:28 AM   #9057
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Diff Oil

Quote:
Interesting, have you tried 50000wt?

This goes against my findings at both Meakin park and Brendale, but of course Moorebank may well have its own individual characteristics.

I have posted previously how my requirement for camber has reduced around 1 degree from the old RR on the EVO. I only need 3 degrees on Brendale to keep the wear nice and even.
Yes AMG, you findings are similar to our own, but I think Moorebank is a different kettle of fish - man, I hear they spray VHT between heats.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:37 AM   #9058
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ride Heights

Quote:
There pretty wild ride hieghts, are you guys racing at the local ice skateing rink or something!!!!!

Anything above 4 mm in reasonable traction at Mbank will see you having an epic battle with the wall. Not to mention having to use resonably small tyres 60 and 61 at the max. Even thats a bit on the big side.

With relocating the ball ends for the rear sway bar yes its a bit tight. Drill through from the outside of the arm and then screw the ball in carefully from the inside. The just shorten the sway bar to suit evenly from both sides. Once you have run the car this way you probably wont change it back. It makes no difference to changing the spur gears etc.

Kyle
Yeah, your right about the ride heights etc., but hey, it's Melbourne, it's winter - we were using 35 shore tyres and getting zilch wear on them. As I say, I wouldn't expect to get away with this at Mooremank in sultry Sydney town.
Thanks, I'm going to try that sway bar change.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:47 AM   #9059
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Diff Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Yes AMG, you findings are similar to our own, but I think Moorebank is a different kettle of fish - man, I hear they spray VHT between heats.
Yeah I have had one experience on VHT and I must say it sucked badly. At Brendale they do not use VHT, but the track surface changes quite a lot depending on weather and what class has most recently run. Damn 5th scales
Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 AM   #9060
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ride Heights

Quote:

Kyle
The TKA guys that used to post here did this mod and I have seen it at Brendale. I am unsure why this method is better than say just using stiffer rear springs? Can you clarify why you think the mod to the rear bar is worthwhile? Just want to be convinced before I go chopping yup my rear arms