R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-25-2003, 03:31 AM   #8686
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by finchy
it just won't handle. To loose out of corners, it's just too unstable on the small straight just after the sweeper. Even on 37 tires all round it just not feel as good as the RR. What is the stock setup as the conversion kit setup has not worked for me yet. I think the car needs to transfer more weight to the rear tires, tried more front droop and that didn't work, have tried a lot of tricks but to no happiness. Don't get me wrong I think the car will be excellent I just think I need time to sort it out and at the moment my patients is very thin due to some outside problems.
Sorry for budding in but if I understand it right, you have oversteer on power out of the corner? If that's the case, more front droop (i.e. from say 0 to -2 on the droop gauge) will make matters worse. You get more on power steering (which you are having problems right now) with more front droop. That probably explained why you were still having problems. I don't know how true it is but I hear that the EVO has ample steering.

Try limiting the front droop (say from 0 to +2 on the droop gauge).
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:36 AM   #8687
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S Racer
Did you get any laps done at Lilydale on Sunday (assuming you went) Gavin? If you did, how was the car?
Yes, as I said, we only got one heat before the rain - drat.
We used the set-up posted previously, but with reduced droop and 37/37 tryes. Sam said it handled nice and flat and it looked good to me. We'll be going back to the RB pipe for VORTEC, though. It really is a very good pipe.

And while I'm here, I should say that I've changed my mind on those front doggies. I thought they were too long, but having the car back on the set-up station, I had the front too narrow. It's now set "evenly" to 198mm and those doggies are just right, I reckon.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:40 AM   #8688
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks AMGRacer. I tried red springs all round on Saturday arvo with 42 all corners. I was at the track for 1/2 hr as apposed to my normal 4-6 hrs. I think the reds are too hard with 42. But I'll try to do some more testing in 2 weekends time. We got the 1/5 scale titles on this weekend. So the track will be destroyed ( joking ). Running 0 droop in the front is a bit odd as this doesn't transfer any weight to the rear tires, therefore not really helping with the looseness of the car. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thought about it some more. I would re-blueprint your car back to the box stock setting which come with the conversion kit. I mean right down to shock oil and diff oil the works. Perhaps with your old settings and the new front end there is just something now working right.

I think droop is a minor setting and will not radically alter the setup.

I have found running the front tires one shore step above the rear works great. The EVO now has plenty of steering.

I will attempt to get some footage of my car at Meakin this weekend with the Rody 3 port. Cause man this think is on fire with the box setup.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 AM   #8689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111

Quote:
AMGRacer I'm glad you can get the Evo to hook up, cause at the moment I feel the car is shit. I can't get it to hook up as well as the RR and to me it's a step backwards. So I feel it's time for a break for about a month, while I can get some motivation back. Any type of set up would be really appreicated.
Finchy

I have to say the EVO did feel alot more stable then RR especially at the fast esse(is quick and can pull away from MTX3). I didn't follow the setup from instruction. I just use the setup that I have with the RR from last race meeting. however I did use softer tyres at the front and I run solid axle as well. it just run like on rail until I start traction roll.

for your refence try these setting

front
ride height = 4mm
camber = L2.5, R2
caster= 2mm in front
toe in = L0.5, R0.5
downstop =-1
tyres = GRP 42, 57mm
shocks oil =30
spring = fantom light blue

rear
ride height = 4.5mm
camber = L4.5, R4
toe in = L2.5, R2.5
downstop =+6
tyres = GRP 42, 59mm
shocks oil =30
spring = fantom light blue
solid diff or TCD
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:09 AM   #8690
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Sorry for budding in but if I understand it right, you have oversteer on power out of the corner? If that's the case, more front droop (i.e. from say 0 to -2 on the droop gauge) will make matters worse. You get more on power steering (which you are having problems right now) with more front droop. That probably explained why you were still having problems. I don't know how true it is but I hear that the EVO has ample steering.

Try limiting the front droop (say from 0 to +2 on the droop gauge).
Are we using common terminology here?
Surely, under power, increasing the front droop permits more weight to be transferred to the rear, yeah?

i.e. more rear grip at the expense of front grip.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:19 AM   #8691
Tech Elite

Quote:
it just won't handle. To loose out of corners, it's just too unstable on the small straight just after the sweeper. Even on 37 tires all round it just not feel as good as the RR. What is the stock setup as the conversion kit setup has not worked for me yet. I think the car needs to transfer more weight to the rear tires, tried more front droop and that didn't work, have tried a lot of tricks but to no happiness. Don't get me wrong I think the car will be excellent I just think I need time to sort it out and at the moment my patients is very thin due to some outside problems.
Hi finchy,

I agree with AMG. I reckon there is something fundamentilly wrong - probably something silly like a front shock on the rear or the like.

. . . . and errr . . . take some time out to smell the roses, eh.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:23 AM   #8692
Tech Elite

tl2111,

Interesting set-up.
How does that 30wt oil go with the Fantom light blue springs?
They're pretty stiff springs, aren't they?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:49 AM   #8693
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Surely, under power, increasing the front droop permits more weight to be transferred to the rear, yeah?

i.e. more rear grip at the expense of front grip.
Weight transfer to the rear will occur anyways regardless if you limit the front droop. On power, the front lifts up and less front tire contacts the surface because of the limited droop. Less steering.

If you let for more front droop, when the weight transfers to the rear, the front tires will not lift up so much and will still be in contact with the surface. You still get front traction when that happens and that is why you get more steering under power.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:59 AM   #8694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ID
I just picked up a Reflex Team Only.
Gonna shelf the NTC3's for a bit.
I have a whole mess of Trinity dual-rate springs. Can you post, or email me a set-up for a "high bite" ultra smooth prepared track?
We normally run Nitro Shoes 40/40.
Thanks
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:35 AM   #8695
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by coastaltony
ID
I just picked up a Reflex Team Only.
Gonna shelf the NTC3's for a bit.
I have a whole mess of Trinity dual-rate springs. Can you post, or email me a set-up for a "high bite" ultra smooth prepared track?
We normally run Nitro Shoes 40/40.
Thanks
Me? Sorry... I don't own a Reflex or ever driven one. Why not try Trinity's website and get Joel Johnson's or Josh Cyrul's Reflex setups. Doesn't the kit come with suggested setups?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #8696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My server (webtv) is a meager system and can't access the Trinity site.
Sorry to bother you.
coastaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 PM   #8697
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to tl2111

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
tl2111,

Interesting set-up.
How does that 30wt oil go with the Fantom light blue springs?
They're pretty stiff springs, aren't they?
Taylor-racing

I have being using light blue spring for the last 8 months without any trouble, and it is softer then standard black spring.
tl2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:09 PM   #8698
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default V-one RR floating rear pod

Hi guys,

Does any one who owns a V-one S and V-one RR and knows plenty of these cars, could they pelase tell me is it advisable to convert the floating rear pod of V-one RR by putting the v-one S 'CARBON REAR SHOCK MOUNT'on the V-One RR

Does it make a whole lot difference to rear traction?

Thanks and regards,

Zech
zech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #8699
Tech Regular

Default longer front end

The EVO conversion makes the v-one-rr front arms longer -- what makes up for the difference in the length of the front drivetain?
Are the dogbones longer, or are the output yokes from the diff assy longer?
StepPins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:20 PM   #8700
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: longer front end

Quote:
Originally posted by StepPins
The EVO conversion makes the v-one-rr front arms longer -- what makes up for the difference in the length of the front drivetain?
Are the dogbones longer, or are the output yokes from the diff assy longer?
the upper front arms have become shorter on EVO and this will increase camber when compress. this will improve front traction.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote