Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Wooohoooo !

Originally posted by V-One S Racer
I can only hope !

But it wasn't very challenging or much fun racing two Stock cars and the occasional (I mean OCCASIONAL ) Pro-Stock car!

So I decided to jump into the deep end !
Agreed. Your driving is fine, I reckon. You'll love Pro.

You should come to a Dandenong meet, some time - plenty of guys running Stock, there. We usually get about 40 odd entry's (total of all classes) most days.
So, we'll see you at the VORTEC meet at the end of August?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooohoooo !

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Agreed. Your driving is fine, I reckon. You'll love Pro.

You should come to a Dandenong meet, some time - plenty of guys running Stock, there. We usually get about 40 odd entry's (total of all classes) most days.
So, we'll see you at the VORTEC meet at the end of August?

I'd like to race at other tracks... but such is life without a driver's license !

VORTEC.... yep.... I'll be there !

Got your Evo all ready to kick some Mugen rear-end ?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I built the front end of the Evo last night - geez, I'm slack - I reckon AMG's six hour record is pretty safe.

A couple of observations/questions:
Has anyone with a new set of scales weighed the major steel components? i.e. the 2 speed and the middle shafts, the screws, the pillow balls. Just a total weight would be good. Ti is about 47% the weight of steel, yeah?

Those steering post bushes - who thought that up? I just reckon they'll wear out the ally post and sleeve very quickly. I installed bearings.

The front doggies seem a bit long, but I haven't measured them. I presume it will work out OK when I get it on the set-up system. Notice the lack of plunge in the doggies - they hardly move with suspension travel.

Any bright ideas on getting the AAA pack mounted low? - the Shimo chassis has a dirty great hole where I want to attach it.

Anyone tried the Square red brake pads?

Any alternative to the FiveStar left side brace - I think AMG said the belt sometimes hits the header.

Hoping to give it a run on Sunday.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wooohoooo !

Originally posted by V-One S Racer

I'd like to race at other tracks... but such is life without a driver's license !

VORTEC.... yep.... I'll be there !

Got your Evo all ready to kick some Mugen rear-end ?
We don't plan on kicking too much rear-end this weekend.
We'll be happy enough to run in the bearings/belts and get a half reasonable set-up happening for the VORTEC event. I hear there's some fast guys coming down from Lilydale.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Well 2.5mm sounds like it's worth having. Can we then move the engine back far enough to get proper gear mesh? . . . I guess Mr Dremel would fix that?

How much does the Kawahara flywheel and engine mounts give us?
The Kawa mounts are 14.5mm rather than 17mm and the flywheel is suitably smaller as well (did not measure).

The only problem you will have is the clutchbell itself will likely rub or be very close to rubbing on the chassis and you will need to relieve it a little.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by AMGRacer
The Kawa mounts are 14.5mm rather than 17mm and the flywheel is suitably smaller as well (did not measure).

The only problem you will have is the clutchbell itself will likely rub or be very close to rubbing on the chassis and you will need to relieve it a little.
mtx3 engine mount is 14mm !
Old 08-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Diva is using kawahara engine mount and flywheel and he doesnt need to do the surgery to the main chassis.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I built the front end of the Evo last night - geez, I'm slack - I reckon AMG's six hour record is pretty safe.

A couple of observations/questions:
Has anyone with a new set of scales weighed the major steel components? i.e. the 2 speed and the middle shafts, the screws, the pillow balls. Just a total weight would be good. Ti is about 47% the weight of steel, yeah?

Those steering post bushes - who thought that up? I just reckon they'll wear out the ally post and sleeve very quickly. I installed bearings.

The front doggies seem a bit long, but I haven't measured them. I presume it will work out OK when I get it on the set-up system. Notice the lack of plunge in the doggies - they hardly move with suspension travel.

Any bright ideas on getting the AAA pack mounted low? - the Shimo chassis has a dirty great hole where I want to attach it.

Anyone tried the Square red brake pads?

Any alternative to the FiveStar left side brace - I think AMG said the belt sometimes hits the header.

Hoping to give it a run on Sunday.
Did not weigh all the metal parts. I was actually planning to but did not get around to it.

Those bushings are VERY dodgy. My bones are fine when the car is running but yes they are long. At least they should stay in during a crash

I just strapped my AAA pack in to the holder so it is sitting probably 5-9mm higher than it could. I have not put much thought into a better solution yet. The weight reduction is worth it even without the low CG position.

Never tried the Square red pads. My advice is to run the precision ground kyosho vented disc and the kyosho red pads. This combo is AWESOME with a oneway diff. It is virtually impossible to make the car spin out from excessive braking, i run the brake rate at 100% and the car slows damn well for a oneway equipped car.

The header issue I mentioned occurs when using the Kawahara height engine mounts. There is basically no way to stop the side belt rubbing the bottom of the header when you use these mounts, tightening up the belt tensioner makes the belt too tight. The only way around this problem that I have found is to use the 25T pulley with the 27T pulley side belt and cranking down on the tensioner all the way (fivestar tensioner). The belt is still a little loose but not too bad.

The fivestar tension is a nice unit but killer expensive around $30+ USD. The 3 racing one is just as nice.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Manticore
Diva is using kawahara engine mount and flywheel and he doesnt need to do the surgery to the main chassis.
Oh yes that actually is possible. I forgot I always run the MTX3 clutch. With the Kyosho clutch mayby there is clearance!!

BTW the Kyosho 3D that comes with the EVO is excellent. I have found is every bit as good as the Mugen clutch.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Did not weigh all the metal parts. I was actually planning to but did not get around to it.

Those bushings are VERY dodgy. My bones are fine when the car is running but yes they are long. At least they should stay in during a crash

I just strapped my AAA pack in to the holder so it is sitting probably 5-9mm higher than it could. I have not put much thought into a better solution yet. The weight reduction is worth it even without the low CG position.

Never tried the Square red pads. My advice is to run the precision ground kyosho vented disc and the kyosho red pads. This combo is AWESOME with a oneway diff. It is virtually impossible to make the car spin out from excessive braking, i run the brake rate at 100% and the car slows damn well for a oneway equipped car.

The header issue I mentioned occurs when using the Kawahara height engine mounts. There is basically no way to stop the side belt rubbing the bottom of the header when you use these mounts, tightening up the belt tensioner makes the belt too tight. The only way around this problem that I have found is to use the 25T pulley with the 27T pulley side belt and cranking down on the tensioner all the way (fivestar tensioner). The belt is still a little loose but not too bad.

The fivestar tension is a nice unit but killer expensive around $30+ USD. The 3 racing one is just as nice.
AMG, can i have the part no for the kyosho brake pad and disc?
Really excited to put that in since you said it work wonders on a 1 way car.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

It is nothing "magic" just very similar to the teflon pads for the Mugen.

Remember that these pad remove a lot of braking force and are specifically designed to stop your oneway equiped car from spinning.

VZW015

This disc is very thick and has been precision ground so that it is ultra flat. It removes the chaces of your brakes "pulsing" due to a slightly warped disc. Bad pulsing may make the car spin.

I cannot find the item number for the brake pads right now sorry .
Old 08-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default BRAKE PAD

another choice is using MP7.5 pad make by some italian. can't remember their name and is glued as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default More Weight

I'm at school right now so i don't have access to all my paper work but i recall a couple of weights:
2 speed shat 21g
Counter shat 14g (i think) anyone know what it's made out of in the evo kit cause it looks diff to me.
Pivot balls i weighed 4 and it was 17g so they are about 4g each.

I also think that the dogbones are too long especially with the o-rings in place. I took one out and put a 1mm peice of fuel tubing and it seemed to counteract it.
But winding out the front lower arms 4.7mm or something stupid like that! come on that's too far.
Pretty much done all the car except the top deck.

Post when i got more Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

tl2111

Have you looked at the new rear arms yet?? I am puzzled as to why Kyosho have relieved materials from the arm. Took the shocks and camber link off yesterday and there is NO WAY that the middle inner brace of the arm will go anywhere near the diff outdrive during normal operation.

My thinking is that mayby Kyosho is planning to come up with new rear bulkheads and rear bulkhead caps to enable rear roll centre changes?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

No EVO specific hopups from the usual suspects yet. Anybody seen any?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.