R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #7351
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by finchy
Are you running the rody with the restrictor in or out of the carb. What sort of refuel window are you acheiving.

Graeme
Yeah, I forgot about that, didn't I. The restrictor is in.

We ran five minute heats and it might have made it to five and a half or so.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 AM   #7352
Tech Fanatic
 
finchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 823
Default

I can't comment on the difference between our two tracks but Brendale has the same surface that was used for the 2001 Worlds in Sydney, Let's say it's fairly smooth.

About bodies I've just recently changed to the new Stratus 2.1 from the 300m, and I've found the new stratus is great it's may have a little more steering than the 300m. But I think ( not quite sure ) it could be due to the new position I'm now mounting the rear wing. Also I've noticed that a lot of the guys running these bodies don't run their side veins for the wing either. Can anybody clarify why?



Graeme
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:02 AM   #7353
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by rrgt_kid
if its flaming out to easy at race temp when you come into the pits for a fuel stop its either the bottom end to rich or you may want to bring up the idle by adjusting the throttle stop screw!
because with the 12 size motors when they get at temp their idle gets a bit low, but by doing a bit of adjustment it should be good as gold!..

hope this helps

jeremy!
Yeah, I realise this. I'll need to attend to it.
Remember, it's first firing up was on Sunday morning. At that time the idle was very high and considering it was only 8C and it might have been 30 C when it was last run, I made some quick adjustments to get the idle within reason. Now, of course, it flames out as I described.
I'll get it right this Sunday . . . I'd better, 'cos we run six minute heats, there.

So, what happens with the restrictor out? . . . another half a horsepower?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:09 AM   #7354
Tech Regular
 
rrgt_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Yeah, I realise this. I'll need to attend to it.
Remember, it's first firing up was on Sunday morning. At that time the idle was very high and considering it was only 8C and it might have been 30 C when it was last run, I made some quick adjustments to get the idle within reason. Now, of course, it flames out as I described.
I'll get it right this Sunday . . . I'd better, 'cos we run six minute heats, there.

So, what happens with the restrictor out? . . . another half a horsepower?
well first of all your motor will suck alot more air throught the carby! and you may gain a little more power not ovally alot!

jeremy.
rrgt_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:22 AM   #7355
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing

So, what happens with the restrictor out? . . . another half a horsepower?
I doubt it...

If your still legal with the restrictor out, you may notice a slight drop in performance.... the restrictor is a nice venturi shape, with it out, the carbies bell is too sharp and may cause excessive cavitation above the spraybar.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:24 AM   #7356
Tech Fanatic
 
finchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 823
Default

Unfortunatly Sparksy it is illegal with the restictor out the venturi dia. is to large for the IFMAR Rules. The motors got plenty of poke with the restictor in the carby.

Graeme
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:25 AM   #7357
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by finchy
I can't comment on the difference between our two tracks but Brendale has the same surface that was used for the 2001 Worlds in Sydney, Let's say it's fairly smooth.

About bodies I've just recently changed to the new Stratus 2.1 from the 300m, and I've found the new stratus is great it's may have a little more steering than the 300m. But I think ( not quite sure ) it could be due to the new position I'm now mounting the rear wing. Also I've noticed that a lot of the guys running these bodies don't run their side veins for the wing either. Can anybody clarify why?



Graeme
On the bodies:
I know we had too much wing angle on the old Stratus 1, and I dare say that accounts for some of the differences I mentioned.

By "side veins" I presume you mean the verticle ends that are on the standard wing? Some people go one step further and put full end plates on the standard wing - that is, end plates that extend below the horizontal section.
Theoretically, the end plates will stop air spilling off the sides of the wing and increase it's effectiveness. The full end plates will increase it again.

It's quite feasible to alter the characteristics of the downforce by adding or subtracting these items, depending on what you want.
It's my thinking that wing differences likely make up a large proportion of the differences between bodies. . . . that'll get 'em goin' again.

So, our new S60 has a smaller wing than the old Stratus 1, but with full end plates. I "think" we have less downforce, a little more steering and better balance. Overall, I "believe" it's rather better with no reduction in stability. On a practical note, there seems to be more room under the front guards than with the Stratus, too. The Stratus 2.1 seems to have addressed the front guards issue though.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:21 AM   #7358
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
I doubt it...

If your still legal with the restrictor out, you may notice a slight drop in performance.... the restrictor is a nice venturi shape, with it out, the carbies bell is too sharp and may cause excessive cavitation above the spraybar.
I haven't taken the restrictor out to have a look . . . Is it the same as the JP?
If so, I have always thought that sort of bowl shape couldn't be good for air flow, but, hey, JP should know a lot more than me.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:24 AM   #7359
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by finchy
Unfortunatly Sparksy it is illegal with the restictor out the venturi dia. is to large for the IFMAR Rules. The motors got plenty of poke with the restictor in the carby.

Graeme
Hmmm . . . interesting.
Loose inserts in the tank are illegal, but a screwed in venturi is OK.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:33 AM   #7360
Tech Fanatic
 
finchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 823
Default

The shape of the bowl is similar to the JP but it the actual hole at the bottom of the carby that comes under scrutiny. Anyway I'll be doing some track testing with the restrictor when it get closer to the date. Don't want to wear the motor out before I have to.



Graeme
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:40 AM   #7361
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

The bowl shape is ok.... but the rody carb I saw the other week, the bottom of the bowl isnt a nice smooth curve. It has a sharpish corner that seals on the insert. So with the insert out, the air isnt nicley funeled. But that said, the larger venturi opening would allow more flow.... maybe not nice smooth flow without the restrictor, but more flow.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:53 AM   #7362
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
The bowl shape is ok.... but the rody carb I saw the other week, the bottom of the bowl isnt a nice smooth curve. It has a sharpish corner that seals on the insert. So with the insert out, the air isnt nicley funeled. But that said, the larger venturi opening would allow more flow.... maybe not nice smooth flow without the restrictor, but more flow.
Yep. I always figured that the correct venturi profile should be shaped like a trumpet, not a bowl.

In full size car terms, I understand that the "sharpish corner" is usually considered to be only a small issue as the flow establishes it's own "air ramp" over small indentations without much negative impact. Someone will know more than me on this.

So, I guess the answer is to take it out and see what happens.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #7363
Que
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: South Korea
Posts: 153
Default Reflex Springs Work?

Do the Reflex springs work for the V ONE RR? If so where do you get a complete set from online?
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #7364
Que
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: South Korea
Posts: 153
Default My Pixy

Has a nice venturi effect built into the carb
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:16 PM   #7365
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: My Pixy

Quote:
Originally posted by Que
Has a nice venturi effect built into the carb
Any pics?
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho VoneR Roller $120 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-06-2003 07:22 PM
kyosho VoneR w/ nova, pipe $200 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-25-2003 03:09 AM
Kyosho VoneR Macky R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-31-2002 09:04 AM
Brand new Kyosho VoneR kit $230 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-22-2001 02:12 PM
NIB Kyosho VoneR $250 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-21-2001 06:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net