R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #6826
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: gear selection

Quote:
Originally posted by VoneRkid
I am runnig 16/22 pinion and 47/43 spur gears I find that is a good combination Brendale. The stock gears alright there as well you will need to get your self some pinions

Damo
Not to be a naysayer but this combo is actually probably not the best. The biggest problem is the 6 tooth gap between gears. Our little .12 engines really do not have the torque to handle this gap well. You should make this gap as short as possible, 3-4 teeth tops.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #6827
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by drfritz
There was apost some time back that help with the problem with running out of steam on very long straightaways, that had different pulleys, does any body have that part number?
Firstly how long is the straight and what motor are you using??

Any sort of novarossi should run a 200-210 foot straight at least with the maximum V1R gearing.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:57 PM   #6828
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: gear selection

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Not to be a naysayer but this combo is actually probably not the best. The biggest problem is the 6 tooth gap between gears. Our little .12 engines really do not have the torque to handle this gap well. You should make this gap as short as possible, 3-4 teeth tops.
you mean pinions?? what would you run then at brendale for pinions and with the 48/44 spurs.

jeremy.
rrgt_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:06 PM   #6829
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: gear selection

Quote:
Originally posted by rrgt_kid
you mean pinions?? what would you run then at brendale for pinions and with the 48/44 spurs.

jeremy.
Yep pinions. Same goes for spurs as well.

OK let me explain it like this. If you have a 1:1 car which redlines at 6000 rpm and has its maximum powerband between 4500-5500 rpm then how do you drive it? You rev it out in 1st then shift at the top of 1st gear. Now if the gearing of the car is correct it should drop you down into the 4500 rpm zone, right into the meat of the powerband. However if the gap between gears is too large it will drop you too far down, mayby to say 3700 rpm and your acceleration will stall off until you get back into the "powerband".

Same goes for RC cars. If the gearing gap is larger than 4 teeth in the main you will drop out of your powerband when it shifts to 2nd gear. At least for .12 sized high revving motors.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:07 AM   #6830
Tech Fanatic

thanks AMGracer that explains the gear selection in terms that is easy to understand. I will go out and buy some more pinions and spurs this week and have a play around with the combination.

Cheers Graeme
finchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:04 AM   #6831
Tech Regular

hi amg and finchy, in the rr set up supplement sheet it says you can change the gears is any combination and this will not cause any changes in the space of gearing, so there fore i can run my 16/22 to the 48/44 spurs with no drama! as finchy sore on the weekend how good my car goes, then fore there is no affect on revs droping as it goes into second, im not new to this game so i couldnt relise anything at all ,so then greame just go the 16/22 pinions so its still nice and quick down low.

jeremy
Old 04-28-2003, 04:18 AM   #6832
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

are you running the same engine?
are your shift points the same?

Back in the days before I saw the light and sold my V-one R....

AMG and I used to be neck and neck with our two cars.... infact our laptimes were almost identical. I tried out a new engine one day, and geared it to suit.... I had to gear up unbelieveably, and was running a huge split.... our laptimes were still the same...

Point is.... not everything is the same all the time.. there are many reasons why my and AMG's gearing didnt work on the new engine...

you realy need to try gearing, and setup yourself... asking others for a starting point is fine.... but untill you try it yourself, and experiment you dont know if your going your fastest.....
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #6833
Tech Regular

thanx sparksy thats a good point as well but if amg could answer for me just so i could get his veiw as well, but what you said sparksy i will take that into thought!

thanx
jeremy
Old 04-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #6834
Tech Elite

Quote:
hi amg and finchy, in the rr set up supplement sheet it says you can change the gears is any combination and this will not cause any changes in the space of gearing, so there fore i can run my 16/22 to the 48/44 spurs with no drama! as finchy sore on the weekend how good my car goes, then fore there is no affect on revs droping as it goes into second, im not new to this game so i couldnt relise anything at all ,so then greame just go the 16/22 pinions so its still nice and quick down low.

jeremy
Well you are entitled to your opinions on gearing as it is very much personal preference. Like sparksy said the motor and shift points can make a big difference as well.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 04-28-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:32 AM   #6835
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
are you running the same engine?
are your shift points the same?

Back in the days before I saw the light and sold my V-one R....

AMG and I used to be neck and neck with our two cars.... infact our laptimes were almost identical. I tried out a new engine one day, and geared it to suit.... I had to gear up unbelieveably, and was running a huge split.... our laptimes were still the same...

Point is.... not everything is the same all the time.. there are many reasons why my and AMG's gearing didnt work on the new engine...

you realy need to try gearing, and setup yourself... asking others for a starting point is fine.... but untill you try it yourself, and experiment you dont know if your going your fastest.....
Yep it very much depends on your engine. The engine Sparksy was talking about is a TR and these motors are torque oriented and can pull a taller split. My 3-4 teeth split is oriented at the more high rpm narrow powerband motors.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:36 AM   #6836
Tech Elite

For a graphic example of what I am talking about check out this dyno result of an average RS12 Novarossi.

Check out the power drop off at 30,000 rpm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno - novarossi [1].rs 12 turbo.jpg (20.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-28-2003, 04:37 AM   #6837
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep it very much depends on your engine. The engine Sparksy was talking about is a TR and these motors are torque oriented and can pull a taller split. My 3-4 teeth split is oriented at the more high rpm narrow powerband motors.
does the include the s3 and jp s3???
and what gear combo should i be running at brendale with my s3

jeremy.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:43 AM   #6838
Tech Elite

Quote:
does the include the s3 and jp s3???
and what gear combo should i be running at brendale with my s3

jeremy.
Check out the dyno results above. The s3 has probably a similar power delivery band. (I am guessing here)

Engines like the TRs are far more linear and have more torque in a fatter and flatter curve, but do not have the top end.

I was running my Rody 5 port with a 5 tooth split the other day at Brendale, 17-22. Changed it to a 17-20 and it hauled was more ass up the straight. At 17-22 I could feel the motor boging after the shift.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:47 AM   #6839
Tech Fanatic

thanks guys for the input, no I am a little more confused but that fine I will get some pinions and spur gears and after I run the new s3 in will do some experimenting with different splits. I will endevour to find a ratio that suits my driving the best and try not to sacrifice low and top end speed with the search. Sparksy thanks for the tip on the jungle jooze very much appreicated. Once again thanks guys

Graeme
Old 04-28-2003, 04:49 AM   #6840
Tech Fanatic

Amgracer I've had a rody 3port and it hauled ass until it died unexpectedly how do the 5 port version go.

Graeme