Tech Regular

ne one?
NitroNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #6257
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut
WHat kind of tires u guys recommend for paved and aspahlt treated tracks? assuming on foamies
you need foam tire range from 37 to 45 shores depending on traction condition of the track.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 PM   #6258
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
Dont say bad words such as "your car looks like a pig" when you see an unsteer car !
Good teaching!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:36 AM   #6259
Tech Apprentice

Default Overdrive

hi... i am new here. i have a question concerning the overdrive front-side pulley 25T.
I notice that when the front tyres had worn out to about 59mm or so with 64mm rear tyres, the rear of my car tend to fishtail when powering out of an exit. I also notice that the front of the car becoming lazy (not responsive) to corners. Isnt that this 25T overdrive pulley will help correct the situation? or vice versa?
thanks
Advanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #6260
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Overdrive

Quote:
Originally posted by Advanti
hi... i am new here. i have a question concerning the overdrive front-side pulley 25T.
I notice that when the front tyres had worn out to about 59mm or so with 64mm rear tyres, the rear of my car tend to fishtail when powering out of an exit. I also notice that the front of the car becoming lazy (not responsive) to corners. Isnt that this 25T overdrive pulley will help correct the situation? or vice versa?
thanks
the OD 25T on V1RR is especially for Lola body so that you may use smaller front tire diameter for quicker steering respond. normally you need a 3 to 4 mm split on tire size to maintain f/r equal drive ratio.

the best way is to test your setup on track rather then get your result on calculator. it is meaningless because there are many factors to hinder the performance of your nitro. say for example, if you have a high power engine, you should have better steering out of corner. this doesnt relate to the set up of your car nor the gearing. you have more power, it is possible that you have more steering. this is only one of the elements that affects your nitro performance. so, it is best to test it on track rather then talking theory. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:49 AM   #6261
Tech Apprentice

Default thank you

thank you for such a fast reply. u guys are great.
Advanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 10:59 AM   #6262
Tech Regular

Default Tires Tires Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut
WHat kind of tires u guys recommend for paved and aspahlt treated tracks? assuming on foamies
Well out here in Sunny CA, there are several tires that we use:
UFRA - The UFRAs are a good tire. Have a lot of meat on them and they have a tendency to chunk if you like to hit a lot of things at the track

Ellegi - My favorite, They dont have as much meat so therefore they dont chunk as easily. The drawback with them is the rim is quite fragile and does not like impacts very much.

Mugen Fast Tires - Really being used a lot by the MTX-3 due to the 2mm offset. Actually the identical tire to the Ellegi's.

Jaco Nitro Shoes - I hear really good things about these tires. I have not used them.

Yokomo - These are my second choice. Not because of performance, but because of price. These tend to be a bit pricy along with the Nitro Shoes, but perform every bit as good as the Ellegi's.

So theres the breakdown of the most popular tires we use. I have found one interesting thing about the Ellegi/Mugen Fast Tires. I have been checking the derometer of the tires before I use them and found that they end up being 5 Deg harder than what the packaging says they are. I dont know if this is a packaging or manufacturing mistake or what. Just something I have been noticing. Of course at the track I have been able to get my 40 Shores to work great, so no real complaint, just anobservation.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:03 AM   #6263
Tech Regular

Default Re: thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by Advanti
thank you for such a fast reply. u guys are great.
We all have to do our part to keep this thread at the top of the list ya know!
Old 02-20-2003, 12:07 PM   #6264
Tech Elite

Default I have been checking the derometer of the tires

Bounty Hunter;

My racing buddy Gus just bought a Tire Durometer from Dana at Rev, and we are finding the same thing. Most are reading about 5 marks higher than what is stated on the package. I wonder what the manufacturing tolerances on the Shore rating for the Foam is?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #6265
Tech Elite

The old overdrive pulley debate again huh

Weighing in on a few topics from my testing:

1. If you are on a slippery or medium traction track with sweeping corners then the 27T side pulley is the way to go. In these conditions the smaller front tires have minimal effect and you may as well run 1:1. I almost always run the front 1mm smaller than the rear in these conditions, not for handling but to even the tire wear in the longer mains.

2. On higher grip tracks or when you are having trouble getting the car to turn in the 25T pulley and a 3-4mm front rear spilt can make a big difference.

3. Having 30K oil in the rear diff of the V1R is fairly brutal. But it is the way to go on a very high grip track if you cannot get on power steering. The thing I did not like with 30K was that off power steering suffered and there was a tendency to spin off power in sweepers. I use 10K with standard diff on lower grip tracks, and 10K and the LSD when I want more on power steering.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #6266
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

1. If you are on a slippery or medium traction track with sweeping corners then the 27T side pulley is the way to go. In these conditions the smaller front tires have minimal effect and you may as well run 1:1. I almost always run the front 1mm smaller than the rear in these conditions, not for handling but to even the tire wear in the longer mains.

2. On higher grip tracks or when you are having trouble getting the car to turn in the 25T pulley and a 3-4mm front rear spilt can make a big difference.

3. Having 30K oil in the rear diff of the V1R is fairly brutal. But it is the way to go on a very high grip track if you cannot get on power steering. The thing I did not like with 30K was that off power steering suffered and there was a tendency to spin off power in sweepers. I use 10K with standard diff on lower grip tracks, and 10K and the LSD when I want more on power steering.
have you tried the lsd in the front? does it work?
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #6267
Tech Regular

Default Re: I have been checking the derometer of the tires

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Bounty Hunter;

My racing buddy Gus just bought a Tire Durometer from Dana at Rev, and we are finding the same thing. Most are reading about 5 marks higher than what is stated on the package. I wonder what the manufacturing tolerances on the Shore rating for the Foam is?
Well I do know that when the foam is in donut form the tire is usually softer. Once you mount and true the tire, the durometer now hardens to what is really is. I am not sure if these readings are the shore of the compund before they mount and true or what? That could explain why there is a difference. Of course I am thinking that if I can get them to hook then I should be getting better tire wear since they are actually harder than the package states.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #6268
Tech Regular

Default LSD or Standard Diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

AMG,
Just curious the Diff that was issued in the V One RR GT kit is a Standard or LSD Diff? I thought there was only the Stanard Gear Diff or the SRA.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #6269
Tech Elite

Vince the RR comes with the standard diff. Kyosho offers also an LSD diff (Limited slip, similar in theory to the Kawahara Negative) and the Active Diff (which is adjustable). Not too many places around here carry those, but I've gotten my hands on them through Tower. BTW the UFRA's, Ellegi, Fast, and New Arrows, are all GRP. I've been mixing all of them, with no weird effects.

AMG, regarding diff oil, you're absolutely spot on. On a looser track, the 10, 000 works great (felt good for me at KZ). Where I usually race (Revelation), you don't get enough on-power steering with it, and the 30,000 feels much better in both my RR and MTX-3. The turn-in steering doesn't seem to be as critical with the current layout.

Last edited by kevink2; 02-20-2003 at 05:41 PM.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #6270
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Tires Tires Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Of course at the track I have been able to get my 40 Shores to work great, so no real complaint, just anobservation.
So you're saying that "40 shore" (which is in actual fact 45 shore) works great on your track then...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote