R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2003, 03:10 PM   #6226
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 67
Send a message via ICQ to rbgti
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 24T Conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Actually the 24T conversion and Overdrive are two seperate options. If you want to do the 24T conversion you replace your two 19T drive pulleys in the rear. If you want Overdrive you go from the 27T front pulley to the 25T front pulley that comes with the RR. You would have to do all three gears to get the additional rollout and overdrive at the same time.
Aha! I see. Well I replaced my 3 pulleys but I cant remember how many teeth I got in the front-side pulley. I guess I'll go home and count them, I haven't driven my car since last August.

By the way our shop owner is now talking about some sort of 26T pulley hes got coming in now. That plus the 24T conversion, plus 15/19 pinion.......Too much math, I don't understand the tranmission side of r/c'ing at all, he says that would be a fast set up though...
rbgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #6227
Tech Regular
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 296
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 24T Conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by rbgti
Aha! I see. Well I replaced my 3 pulleys but I cant remember how many teeth I got in the front-side pulley. I guess I'll go home and count them, I haven't driven my car since last August.

By the way our shop owner is now talking about some sort of 26T pulley hes got coming in now. That plus the 24T conversion, plus 15/19 pinion.......Too much math, I don't understand the tranmission side of r/c'ing at all, he says that would be a fast set up though...
From what I understand the 26T fron pulley will basically tone down the overdrive to 2.5% in an attempt to further tune the tire wear between the front and back tires. I have been running the 25T just fine for several months now. As long as you run the correct tire diameters, the setup works awesome. As far as the 26T being faster, well I think that will depend on your car setup and your driving style.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #6228
Tech Regular
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
Isn't it the other way around?

The smaller the rear tires get, the more front overdrive?
Yes that is correct if you were running overdrive (25T). What I was getting at when you run no overdrive at all (27T) ... as your rear tires get smaller your driveline will in effect drive the fronts slower in respect to the rears and you start to push since the rears are smaller now. If you picture this, if you have no overdirve, then your fronts will spin at the same rate as the rears at any given rpm from your motor. If the diameters now differ between front to rear, where the rears are smaller, then you are getting a difference in revolutions where the rears will spin faster/more and will start make the car push, slightly.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #6229
Tech Elite
 
popsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: "Hot, Sunny Southern California"
Posts: 3,120
Default Bounty Hunter;

Yes, this is why it is important to re-true your Front tires to match the backs. Otherwise you loose steering as the backs become smaller than the Fronts. A partial solution is to have a set-up that works with the same compound tires F & R. Though not perfect, it does help even out the wear Front to Rear.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #6230
Tech Regular
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 296
Default Re: Bounty Hunter;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Yes, this is why it is important to re-true your Front tires to match the backs. Otherwise you loose steering as the backs become smaller than the Fronts. A partial solution is to have a set-up that works with the same compound tires F & R. Though not perfect, it does help even out the wear Front to Rear.
Exactamundo....at least for those of us that have the luxury of a tire truer.

Oops...sorry did not read thorough the entire post. My mistake!

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 02-19-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:48 PM   #6231
Tech Regular
 
NitroNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 303
Default

<---------new avator likey?
NitroNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #6232
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Bounty Hunter;

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
A partial solution is to have a set-up that works with the same compound tires F & R. Though not perfect, it does help even out the wear Front to Rear.
What does this do? Swapping front to rear and vice versa to even out tire wear? I read somewhere that foams that are meant and designated for the front and rear have different compounds even though with the same shore number.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:02 PM   #6233
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Yes that is correct if you were running overdrive (25T). What I was getting at when you run no overdrive at all (27T) ... as your rear tires get smaller your driveline will in effect drive the fronts slower in respect to the rears and you start to push since the rears are smaller now. If you picture this, if you have no overdirve, then your fronts will spin at the same rate as the rears at any given rpm from your motor. If the diameters now differ between front to rear, where the rears are smaller, then you are getting a difference in revolutions where the rears will spin faster/more and will start make the car push, slightly.
Ummm, with no overdrive pulleys installed, I believe when the rear tires get smaller than the front, the front end will be pulling the car and you'll be in overdrive mode because of the tire diameter difference. In that instance, the car will not push at the corners.

The reason being is that the tire rollout for the front end will be more than the rear end as the tire rollout depends on the tire diameter i.e. larger diameter, bigger tire rollout.

The front and rear wheels will have the same rotational speed (physics and engineering background people will denote this withthe greek word omega). Just that the rollout of the tires will be different.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:17 PM   #6234
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 24T Conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by rbgti
By the way our shop owner is now talking about some sort of 26T pulley hes got coming in now. That plus the 24T conversion, plus 15/19 pinion.......Too much math, I don't understand the tranmission side of r/c'ing at all, he says that would be a fast set up though...
Just to give you an idea, to achieve an overdrive ratio of 1 with the new 26T side pulley and the 24T pulley conversion, you need to use front and rear tire diameters as follows;

Front / Rear / Speed
63.5 / 66 / 94.5 km/hr
62.6 / 65 / 93.1 km/hr
61.6 / 64 / 91.7 km/hr
60.7 / 63 / 90.2 km/hr
59.7 / 62 / 88.8 km/hr
58.7 / 61 / 87.4 km/hr
57.8 / 60 / 85.9 km/hr

Speed calculated is assuming that your engine can reach the top end and rev at 36,000 rpm. So likelihood, take the speed calculations with a pinch of salt as it is very difficult to peak an engine at 36,000 rpm at the end or 3/4 way of a straight.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #6235
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11
Cool

WHAT RECIEVER WILL FIT ON THE V ONE R?
HYPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #6236
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11
Cool

WHAT RECIEVER WILL FIT ON THE V ONE R?
HYPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:32 PM   #6237
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11
Cool

WHAT RECIEVER WILL FIT ON THE V ONE R?
HYPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:37 PM   #6238
Tag
Tech Master
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 1,589
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Bounty Hunter, I am impressed! thank you for your very informative article , I will give it a try to see how it runs. I have been following this thread for quite a long time now, i always learned something when I read it, AMGRacer,InitialD, Bounty Hunter just to name few are all very very knowledgable i enjoy reading your articles very much !

I have another question regarding to spring/shock oil combination, how can i find a happy balance between them and how does it affect handling when different rate of springs are used. thanks again,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voner.jpg (74.8 KB, 128 views)
__________________
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:10 AM   #6239
Tech Regular
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 296
Default Please...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
Bounty Hunter, I am impressed! thank you for your very informative article , I will give it a try to see how it runs. I have been following this thread for quite a long time now, i always learned something when I read it, AMGRacer,InitialD, Bounty Hunter just to name few are all very very knowledgable i enjoy reading your articles very much !

I have another question regarding to spring/shock oil combination, how can i find a happy balance between them and how does it affect handling when different rate of springs are used. thanks again,
Please do not be impressed as I am only an amateur at this. I am merely trying to state what my understanding is of these concepts. From time to time I am wrong. But then again I welcome all criticism as I too am here to learn. Please remember that some of my statements may be centered around my own opinions. Other than that...LISTEN TO EVERYTHING I HAVE TO SAY! j/k
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:13 AM   #6240
Tech Regular
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
I have another question regarding to spring/shock oil combination, how can i find a happy balance between them and how does it affect handling when different rate of springs are used. thanks again,
Well as far as that goes.... it really depends on the track conditions and layout. At Revelation I go 60wt all the way around. As far as springs, well I am going between the Gold/Black for Front/Rear and Gold/Gold setups. I am also running a 30,000 in the rear diff. So far this seems to be the setup there. As far as a happy medium you are talking about, you are going to have to define what you want to accomplish with the setup first.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho VoneR Roller $120 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-06-2003 07:22 PM
kyosho VoneR w/ nova, pipe $200 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-25-2003 03:09 AM
Kyosho VoneR Macky R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-31-2002 09:04 AM
Brand new Kyosho VoneR kit $230 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-22-2001 02:12 PM
NIB Kyosho VoneR $250 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-21-2001 06:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:05 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net