R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #6031
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
How long is your straightaway? I have never run out of gearing yet, but I think some of those huge tracks you guys have might test it out!
Well the summer layout had the straighaway at 200' not including the front and back sweepers. The current Winter layout is pretty much the same with the addition of two turns and the deletion of the back sweeper. Eitherway the straight is pretty hefty for a sedan. Now as for KZ, I hear that layout is HUGE. I dont really know how big since I have not been there yet.

Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:27 PM   #6032
Tech Elite

Yep thats huge. I run on a 180' straight track sometimes and the highest gearing is required. Another 20' and a sweeper is gonna be pretty brutal.

GPM has a derlin 43T 2nd gear available, that might help a little. I think the 24T conversion is the way to go tho.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:33 PM   #6033
Tech Regular

Talking Yep

I remember when I first ran at Revelation with the stock gearing on the RR and man let me tell you. I think I can really close to poping my Sirio. I was turning some mean rpms at the end of the straight. The 24T conversion has added a bit of engine temp and is making the motor work harder, even with the slight sacfice at the low end, the gains at the Midrange and Highend rpms are well worth it. Right now I have severly geared down to get back some low end in the infield. In my opinion, the 24T conversion is the ticket for the larger tracks.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #6034
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep thats huge. I run on a 180' straight track sometimes and the highest gearing is required. Another 20' and a sweeper is gonna be pretty brutal.

GPM has a derlin 43T 2nd gear available, that might help a little. I think the 24T conversion is the way to go tho.
Who sells the GPM 43T 2nd gear?

I will also add that my gearing setup is keeping up with MTX3 high gear setup as well. I think they run like a 21 or 22T 2nd with an insane 42T Spur.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #6035
Tech Elite

I dont want to tell you something you already know but another thing which helps engine temps on these big tracks is to add in some additional caster oil into the fuel. Mayby another 2-5% will lower temps.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #6036
Tech Regular

Default Head Temp

Actually my max race temp currently is like 235-240 and that is after the 24T conversion. I am pretty much at 100% on the high end needle. I physically can not lean any more as there wont be enough fuel in the crankcase to run correctly. Hea temp has not been a factor since I have been running my Sirio with 30% nitro. Plus I am so lean I am almost getting 7 min tanks. Its pretty insane.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:07 PM   #6037
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Yep

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
In my opinion, the 24T conversion is the ticket for the larger tracks.
If you notice, the 24T conversion on the V1RR will bring your internal ratio up to 2. That is what the stock Impulse is having. On big tracks, I aslo use the same pinion and spur combination as you i.e. 15T / 49T for the 1st gear and 19T / 45T for the 2nd gear. This is what I found to be good.

No intention to spike anybody but on the Impulse, it is the other way around. Gearing down as much as we can for small technical tracks. But unfortunately, the smallest pinion on the Centax is 15T
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:26 PM   #6038
Tech Elite

Try these links AMG. I'm not sure of footage, but KZ is especially long now that the kink before the straight has been removed.

http://www.kzspeedway.com/racepage.htm

http://www.revrace.com/THE_TRACK.cfm
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:29 PM   #6039
Tech Elite

Default Re: Head Temp

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Actually my max race temp currently is like 235-240 and that is after the 24T conversion. I am pretty much at 100% on the high end needle. I physically can not lean any more as there wont be enough fuel in the crankcase to run correctly. Hea temp has not been a factor since I have been running my Sirio with 30% nitro. Plus I am so lean I am almost getting 7 min tanks. Its pretty insane.
Hey Vince,
Let me drive your car next time I see you... ppppllleeaaazzzzeee!!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:58 PM   #6040
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by kevink2
Not when you're cookin' motors! Doh!
Well we wouldn't want to see that. I just hope you find the right gearing for Rev and KZ, I would like some info as far as that is concerned.
I don't want to embarass myself at the nats, if all things work out. I will be making an apperance

So can I pit with you PLEASE
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #6041
Tech Elite

Rev's not such a problem, it's more of an issue at KZ...

That'd be cool if you came down in August dude. I still might be up north later this year (the project keeps getting pushed back).
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM   #6042
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Rev's not such a problem, it's more of an issue at KZ...

That'd be cool if you came down in August dude. I still might be up north later this year (the project keeps getting pushed back).
The plan is to come down and try to participate

We don't have a large permanent track as of yet, but after reading the times some of those guys got at the worlds, I am way out of their league Just hope to meet some more people and actually drive that track
Old 02-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #6043
Tech Master

Kev: have you tried that Mugen mod ? works real well in fast sweepers, you hardly have to roll off the throttle
Old 02-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #6044
Tech Elite

Nah not yet. Rev's only got one big sweeper and the rest of the turns are mostly hairpins, so I'm not sure how much it'd help there. It's tempting though...

However, I've got the full Mugen mod now, (i.e., the whole car, and will be trying it out hopefully tomorrow night.) I've already driven my friend's, and liked what I felt. Can't wait.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 AM   #6045
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Head Temp

Quote:
Hey Vince,
Let me drive your car next time I see you... ppppllleeaaazzzzeee!!
Sure man! I trust you with my bodies, I may as well with my car! Hehe! Not a problem Kev. I read that you will be at Rev later on today. I will be there for the night session! See ya there!