R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 PM   #5656
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

was there any delta in your laptimes with / without the camber link mod?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 11:50 PM   #5657
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
was there any delta in your laptimes with / without the camber link mod?
Did not make a difference. However the main thing to note is my test setup is as high again as the difference between the largest Kyosho angle and the Mugen angle. Ie. I think mine is set far too high.

I think there is a "sweet spot" where roll is reduced, but not too much traction is lost. My test rig is not adjustable enough.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:19 AM   #5658
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I was the other driver with AMG today. I agree with everything he has said so far.... with one exception..... I think AMG is slightly better at keeping his cool on the track, and as such, doesnt outdrive his ability as much as me...
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:25 AM   #5659
Tech Regular

Default Re: shocks on the reflex

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
chippy;

The standard Reflex kit has Aluminum pistons with 2 holes that are supposed to equal to the V1R stock pistons (supposed).
I have found that the Stock V1R black springs work best on the Reflex for most parking lot sized tracks.
my reflex liked 60 in the rear and 70 in the front on rubber. i used 60 in the front and under braking it just seemed under dampned if this was a normal shock like the v1r i would use smaller hole pistons. but it worked like a charm. i could get hard on the brakes and not worry so much if it was going to stop or slow down lol
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:33 AM   #5660
Tech Master

On to the mod...

I believe with the large angle on the camberlink, it has gone past its "effective" range (like going slightly too lean)

But I think for the purpose of testing, thats exactly where to start. Go from one extream to the other, and work your way back to a happy medium.

That said, the MTX3 rear upright mod might, in the end, be the better way to go. It keeps the right front to rear placement of the arm, easier to adjust by adding or removing shims. And the 2 most important things, if it was my car. 1. easily replicatably after a bad accident... no need to re-manufacture, just wack a new upright in there. 2. it doesnt look as god damn ugly looking good is half the battle.

I do have to say though, AMG's mod job, although ugly was strong... I lost count of the high speed, end over ends his car did. Must have gone 15 metres along the track and into the fence... didnt brake a thing.

There is no doubt in my mind though, I handed him his ass on a slightly tarnished silver platter..... In the craching comp... I launched at least 5m high and then end over end... a huge hit and the demise of a dogbone and rim.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 AM   #5661
Tech Elite

Hehehehehe man we crashed some good ones today dude. Thats the price of driving on the edge I love the V1R tho, does not break! The MTX3 looks pretty tough, that was a HUGE smash!

I am sure the more angle on the Mugen arm is the go. My mod was so large it caused too much traction loss for my liking, but the back end was hell stable!!
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:04 AM   #5662
Tech Elite

Hey, it's good to see you back . . . I've been posting my sorry ass off here - practically supporting the whole Melbourne contingent, single handedly.

Quote:
Originally posted by OZDC
TOO POLITE, well i guess he does say sorry every time he hits you
There ya go then - he says "sorry" - he's polite.
Anyway, I did say i was trying to be objective . . . AND, I've been saying nice things about Lilydale.
So, who was that dude stopped in the middle of the track during a heat, adjusting his steering or some such . .

Quote:
There's his problem, worshipping the wrong guy
Geez, rjl's gonner get you for that one. Actually, since he's is temporarily sans computer, we can bag him without too much fear of reprisals.

Quote:
I could be so mean here, but i'll let it go.
He does get good starts though, must be his glowplugs (in joke)
Gawd, ya borrow one glow plug . .
Actually, I've just PM'd a colourfull Sydney racing identity with respect to "our" glow plugs. . . screen name starts with an "N"

Last edited by Taylor-Racing; 01-03-2003 at 06:19 AM.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:23 AM   #5663
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question about shock oils

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guy's;

Just so you know, I am currently racing a Reflex N/T which is the same basic design as the V1R so most everything that applies to the Kyosho will also apply to the Reflex.

Now my question, I have a couple of friends that run V1R's and they are using 100wt/80wt oils in the F/R shocks. What are your opinions on doing this? I am currently using 45/40 in my car and it seems to handle very well, but if there is somethingto be gained by going to the stiffer oils then........
Pop's, this is one of those impossible questions, I reckon - I'm sure you know that, but here's my take.
We started, some time ago, running F/R 80/60 oils. We are now at 50/45 and it's a lot better. As mentioned previously, we'll try the Fantom yellow's which will increase the contrast between damping and springs another level again.
My current train of thought says we will get a more responsive car and likely, it will be more twitchy also. Looking at Mugen rear hubs, and toying with the idea of using a solid rear, you can probably see where I'm headed.
At the end of the day, it's all a "suck it and see" thing. Only experimentation will tell you what will work and of equal importance, what won't.
As you might observe, with my current thinking I could not imagine where I might obtain stiff enough springs to go with a 100wt/80wt oils scenario - and you run your Reflex on rubbers, don't you?
Equally, your friends may find that the 100/80 combo is good for them, their set-up, their track, their tyres etc.
To illustrate the point, a few weeks back, my driver, and a good friend swapped cars at a practice session - both VoneR's. My driver said the friends car was undrivable 'cos it had a boat load of steering. The friend said he couldn't drive ours 'cos it wouldn't point.
Ever since that session, my driver has been wanting more and more steering. So, lately, we have been running softer fronts than rears, and he likes it - Go figure, eh.
Now, I know all this isn't very helpfull, but it's not hard to change oils. I suggest you take a big step up and see what the difference feels like. Only then will you be able to make a judgement.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:42 AM   #5664
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Don't thank God for me
I was just observing these people trying to make there car perform on a dusty track and pretty much threw in the towel after a couple of hours.
I do believe this car will and pronbably is a screamer...BUT I do need to get my but kicked a few times to believe before I shell out $350 for a new kit.

I also got a set of Nitro Shoes, will give them a go this weekend at the race
Agreed, it would have been easy to get caught up in the TC-3 hype and buy yet another car. I'm not saying the TC-3 is a dud, by the way, just that the surrounding frenzy makes the view foggy.

Here's my plan . . . take time out on the MTX-3 for three months, at least - what you might call a "TC-3 cooling off period".
Re-visit and see if, in the clear light of day, it looks like we really can't live without it.
Anyway, knowing Mugen, in three months time, they will have released the MTX-3 TEAM Edition with twin overhead watchermacallits - all for the same money.

So, where did you see one for $350? I guess you mean US$350
. . . and, are you going to tell us what's so good about these Nitro Shoes?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:49 AM   #5665
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Well did a few more hours testing today up against somebody who is as good a driver as me who also owns a MTX3. I tested my mod on the track and this is what I found.
<Snip>
FYI it was timed with transponders etc. My laptimes were almost identical to the MTX3 laptimes, we were using the exact same motor JP RS12, and I think I piped him on best lap on short and long track layouts by like 0.2 seconds if I recall correctly.
AMG and sparksy,

Interesting stuff.
Did you guys swap cars during your testing, sparksy being an ex VoneR owner an' all?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #5666
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
yeah, that's the style but you just have to trust it's not going to come around. Actually for me I find I have more leeway in controlling the throttle with the solid than I have when running the stiff yellows setup. With yellow/yellow my car WILL spin out if i'm not right smooth, with the solid it just looks like it's loose but it won't come around unless you try hard to make it.

Also with the solid you don't have to kick the rear out unless you want to, for sweepers and corners where you want to carry the speed you can partial throttle through it and the rear stays planted with the proper setup. The BIG advantage I see for solid is the amount of juice you can give her on exit though.

You don't need big traction for it to work. Now if manti is running solid WITH yellow/yellow he's one helluva driver or his track has hella grip.
Thanks patella & AMG,

Hmmm . . . . subjectively, I would have thought that the solid rear would be more of a handfull than the Fantom yellows.
Well, I gues I should take my own advice and just try it - next month.

And those MPEG's of Maniti . . . . they were at least 35FPS wearn't they?
Old 01-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #5667
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
And those MPEG's of Maniti . . . . they were at least 35FPS wearn't they?
you bet !!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:59 AM   #5668
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
you bet !!
Does anybody have the part numbers for the Yellow springs? I'm assuming they would be different for front and rear.
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:44 PM   #5669
Tech Elite

Default Taylor-Racing;

My friends and I race at the same tracks (mostly parking lot) all the time, so that is comparable. I've got an extra unbuilt set of shocks. I may just build them equally but with the thicker oils and try them out at my next race. If I don't like it I can easily swap them back at the track.

Thanks for the reply.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #5670
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
AMG and sparksy,

Interesting stuff.
Did you guys swap cars during your testing, sparksy being an ex VoneR owner an' all?

We set out to do just that... we had the timing software on and timing laps... the initial idea was to run back to back AMG mod and unmod with me running the mtx3... and then swap... but the traction was changing through out the afternoon, and by the time it was up close to race day traction, we had run out of time, and like the responsible husband I am, I had to get home so I would only be 2 hours late.

What we do know, from our collective v-one r days, is we like our cars to be set up much the same.... hard springs close to even front to rear. I drive a little more agressively than AMG, sometimes to my downfall.

I think AMG is going to adjust the mod a little to find the middle sweetspot, and we will be back out to test.