R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #5536
Tech Adept

Does anyone know of any good Hobby Shops in Japan(for Kyosho of course). I have a friend over there right now, and I wanted him to pick me up a few things.

Thanks
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:01 PM   #5537
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
I'm not one to say the mtx3 is "revolutionary", I will say it's easily the best handling nitro touring car I have driven. That doesn't have to mean anything to anyone just like your statement that the mtx3 isn't any better than other cars doesn't either.
I dont think there is any doubt as to whether it handles better. But what people are saying is does it affect the results on track. I am not seeing anybody who has a new MTX3 doing any better as a result yet. Their times have improved, but so have mine as I push the Kyosho harder to chase them.

Quote:
I would however put more stock in someone's opinion who has actually experimented with these cars and who has the capacity for objectivity.
I take it you have the required objectivity? Kingwillie does not?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:14 PM   #5538
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I dont think there is any doubt as to whether it handles better. But what people are saying is does it affect the results on track. I am not seeing anybody who has a new MTX3 doing any better as a result yet. Their times have improved, but so have mine as I push the Kyosho harder to chase them.

I take it you have the required objectivity? Kingwillie does not?
I can be objective sometimes, sometimes not.

The key to that statement you're referring to preceded the objectivity part, and that is having experimented with both cars in the first place. Anybody can look at the results from a factory race or compare what other drivers in their club are doing, that doesn't mean much to me if you haven't tested the thing yourself.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:46 PM   #5539
Tech Elite

Hey Patella thanks for the help. I should be back in biz in the next few weeks...
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:59 PM   #5540
Tech Elite

Quote:
I can be objective sometimes, sometimes not.

The key to that statement you're referring to preceded the objectivity part, and that is having experimented with both cars in the first place. Anybody can look at the results from a factory race or compare what other drivers in their club are doing, that doesn't mean much to me if you haven't tested the thing yourself.
Yep I agree with you for that much! Factory races mean nothing. Testing is the ultimate scorecard.

I was very interested that you dropped your laptimes so much! That is happening over here as well.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:51 PM   #5541
Tech Apprentice

Default drifting right under accelleration

Hey guys, hoping some of you can help me out...

With my V1RR, it seems to drift to the right under accelleration, and i don't know what more to do to get rid of this annoying habit of the car.

I've checked all the camber to about 2mm, and the right height about 4.5mm all round. The chassis also seems to be dead flat all round. And no, it isn't the rear wheels spinning out.

One thing i've had to do at a recent meet though, was to replace the right rear suspension arm with a friends spare V1R one. Note it wasn't a spare v1RR one, just a single R one. I don't think theres any difference though, is there???

Any hints one where to go from here would be great...
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:42 AM   #5542
Tech Elite

Glenn:

This can be caused by may things. A checklist is below:

1. Binding on suspension hingepins
2. Tweaked suspension from shock lengths being different
3. Unequal droop all around
4. Unequal arm length

This is a starting point anyways...............
Old 12-31-2002, 12:57 AM   #5543
Tech Elite

I tried an interesting experiment today. I raised the attachment points of the rear hubs around 3-5mm so the camber linkages are very angled.

Well the car handled high speed turns VERY well. Much better than I have been able to get so far out of the car. This mod was inspired by the MTX3 design.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:29 AM   #5544
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Hi AMG,

How you do that? Could you post some pictures so that we can try? Thanks.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:50 AM   #5545
Tech Master

anxiously listening AMG!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:25 AM   #5546
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
I tried an interesting experiment today. I raised the attachment points of the rear hubs around 3-5mm so the camber linkages are very angled.

Well the car handled high speed turns VERY well. Much better than I have been able to get so far out of the car. This mod was inspired by the MTX3 design.
Amasing

One of my experiments before the start of the new season is to do essentially the same thing for the same reasons.

However, I am going to "fabricate" a lower inner mounting point for the rear camber link. I figured this would be easier than drilling new holes for the arms. This should permit running with less static camber and have it cranked on more quickly in a corner.
Is your train of thought the same as mine?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:01 AM   #5547
Tech Regular

hell i have run with the rear camber link in the upper hole on the hub and the lower hole on the bulk head and at the time it just seemed to loose forward traction. It made the car very hard to get on the gas early say from the apex to exit(where races are won and lost) but it had lateral grip like a F1 car. i dont think that i had it loose in the sweeper once at all so now i just like it in the lower hole on the hub and the upper hole on the bulk head. on our tight track layouts it works but on a bigger track with a lot of high speed turns i think angleg arms will work
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:18 AM   #5548
Tech Master

I'm running my camber links on the upper on the hub and lower on the inner link on all my R's and that setup works well on a variety of tracks. I hadn't thought to try and make the angle even steeper but knowing what the mtx3 does I would bet this is a worthy experiment. I just need some insight on the best way to do it as Taylor has alluded I don't think drilling the hub is going to be a good idea cause there isn't room to....wait, unless you could tap it from the top....hmmmmmm
Old 12-31-2002, 11:58 AM   #5549
Tech Elite

Default Re: drifting right under accelleration

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn
Hey guys, hoping some of you can help me out...

With my V1RR, it seems to drift to the right under accelleration, and i don't know what more to do to get rid of this annoying habit of the car.

I've checked all the camber to about 2mm, and the right height about 4.5mm all round. The chassis also seems to be dead flat all round. And no, it isn't the rear wheels spinning out.

One thing i've had to do at a recent meet though, was to replace the right rear suspension arm with a friends spare V1R one. Note it wasn't a spare v1RR one, just a single R one. I don't think theres any difference though, is there???

Any hints one where to go from here would be great...
Make sure your dogbones are staying in place when you get on the gas. I didn't have the rear pillow ball gap set right and the dogbones were jumping out of the cups a bit on hard acceleration, causing my car to swerve to the right. Not sure if that's what's ailing you, but you might check.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:15 PM   #5550
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm running my camber links on the upper on the hub and lower on the inner link on all my R's and that setup works well on a variety of tracks. I hadn't thought to try and make the angle even steeper but knowing what the mtx3 does I would bet this is a worthy experiment. I just need some insight on the best way to do it as Taylor has alluded I don't think drilling the hub is going to be a good idea cause there isn't room to....wait, unless you could tap it from the top....hmmmmmm
I think that the best way would be to make a bracket that fits on the bulk heat becayst you dont want to add any unsprung weight to the hubs
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote