R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-13-2002, 10:52 PM   #5266
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by DCR1TWO
Actually the Eagle/Integy upper deck was designed with the original mounting holes for the stock or aftermarket side belt tensioners.
I did not know this

I stand corrected
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #5267
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
random thought,

Kyosho should come out with a Kyosho Vone triple R, or something. With a carbon fiber upper deck, carbon fiber shock towers, lower cg engine mounts, super narrow chassis, layed down servo in front, and a super low fuel tank.

Yeah, you can get all the hop ups to do this, but that's alot of cash and what a hassle, just come out with the Vone RRR and make it easy on us Kyosho peeps.

I've been visitin the MTX-3 thread too much... sheeshh..
Yeah sure, the MTX-3 has some nice features . . laid down servo, funky little n' low battery pack etc. In fact just enough good stuff to make the nervous V-one-R owner squirm. Now wait till the new owners get them on the track - they will tell you the car is a "revolution" and that it is the best car available.
I dare say that the MTX-3 will be one of the top cars, but as usual, the real differences between top cars happens at the transmitter end, not the receiver end.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:37 PM   #5268
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Interesting........... Well I find that my suspension and tire choice makes far more difference, the biggest thing bodies do for me is downforce. As you said some of the more "pretty" rear wings actually dont do much at all and give minimal downforce.

All the race protoform bodies seem to me to be the same Perhaps if I was really picky I could say some were better than others in certain areas but I would really be splitting hairs. Certainly there is absolutely no difference on the timesheets.
Agreed. I would suggest that downforce is one of the biggest differences between bodies and it could certainly be argued that it therefore affects the amount of steering etc.
My driver (son) dislodged the wing from his Stratus last Sunday and it was practically undrivable. Six months ago, I replaced the small wing on his Accord body with a big one mounted rather illegally high - man, the tail never stepped out after that.

The only conclusion I can draw is that sufficient downforce is a must. There may be other subtle differences between the popular bodies, but I haven't fathomed it yet.
As I said, most of the differences are at the transmitter end, not the receiver end.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:16 AM   #5269
Tech Fanatic

Default Conrod change time...

Hmm....my RB 3 port turbo is still running fine, but when is the right time to have the conrod replaced....how many gallons?
I am not running it hard like PROs...

any input greatly appreciated...

Last edited by RClover; 11-14-2002 at 01:20 AM.
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 AM   #5270
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Conrod change time...

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
Hmm....my RB 3 port turbo is still running fine, but when is the right time to have the conrod replaced....how many gallons?
I am not running it hard like PROs...

any input greatly appreciated...
The best time to change the first rod is about 5litres or after the piston and liner is properly sized and the crankpin is nicely polished. The engine can then be tuned for optimum performance. Sooner rather than later pays.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:03 AM   #5271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to JordanC

Quote:
The only conclusion I can draw is that sufficient downforce is a must. There may be other subtle differences between the popular bodies, but I haven't fathomed it yet.
Agreed.
JordanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:14 AM   #5272
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY
I did not know this

I stand corrected
Stand corrected for what? The K factory and Integy (Eagle) are different brands. No need to appologise. You didn't when you T-bone me or use me as a brake at the track. j/k HAG
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:42 AM   #5273
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

not trying to be a dhead - but this has to be the first thread I've ever seen where experienced racers are saying body shells don't make a difference in the performance of RC cars.

I'm not quite sure I follow you guys logic though, because on the one hand you're admitting YOU have been able to discern differences in downforce between bodies (which is obviously a critical component of any setup), but then you're coming to a conclusion that bodies don't make a substantive difference in a car's performance or lap times.

I don't see how this is so, I can take a car that is dialed with a GTP and put a Gt2 911 on and it's undriveable off the corner. I can take a car that is pushing mid-corner with a stratus and put a vauxhall on and it rotates around.

Do I think tires and suspension settings play a more crucial role - you bet! Are all bodies the same and lead to the same lap times? Dunno - not for most serious racers.

Maybe if you're a driver that doesn't turn the majority of your laps within .5 of eachother then the body doesn't matter because there isn't enough consistency to be able to tell any difference.

However I put up 20 dollars right now if anyone can find or show me a factory driver saying the choice of body shell doesnt make a difference in their car's performance.

If it didn't make a difference someone explain why even though there are tons of crappy bodies legalized by ROAR you only see a handful at major racing events? (stratus, vauxhall mostly).

Excuse my attitude this time but I've just never, ever seen serious racers saying body shells don't matter in RC.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:14 AM   #5274
Tech Fanatic

Default Agree...but

Yo...patelladragger, you sounds very upset about it...cool down cool down my man...
well i agree with what you've said...different bodyshells aerodynamics do make a difference in many aspects...only Pro drivers are able to tell...but definitely not ME... as i am not a very good driver.
I think that for those drivers who achieve very consistent lap times would be able to tell the difference. However, average driver like me sometimes is finding it hard to follow the racing line as there are always lots of traffics on the track...so it is kinda' hard to get very consistent lap times. Perhaps i should avoid the traffic jam day and try and feel the difference.
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 AM   #5275
Tech Elite

Default The Great Body Debate

"Everything counts in small amounts"
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:46 AM   #5276
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default Re: Agree...but

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
Yo...patelladragger, you sounds very upset about it...cool down cool down my man...
well i agree with what you've said...different bodyshells aerodynamics do make a difference in many aspects...only Pro drivers are able to tell...but definitely not ME... as i am not a very good driver.
I think that for those drivers who achieve very consistent lap times would be able to tell the difference. However, average driver like me sometimes is finding it hard to follow the racing line as there are always lots of traffics on the track...so it is kinda' hard to get very consistent lap times. Perhaps i should avoid the traffic jam day and try and feel the difference.
upset? who me?

All my posts sound like that apparently - it's just the inherent problem with message boards and the way I write. I'm not upset at all just trying to get across my experience that bodies DO make a difference.

Have you ever tested you car with no body and then put one on for comparison? I do it all the time. If I know I will be running lola I try to get the car a tad loose with no body cause I know the lola will plant the rear-end.

I'm not a pro driver by any means but I know that I can even tell differences in my car's handling based on how the body is mounted (fore/aft, front-end nose height, etc.), so I know there are differences to be felt among totally different bodies.

Believe me I'm not upset - just sorta amazed cause I've read a lot of boards and have never come across experienced racers saying bodies don't matter.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:00 AM   #5277
Tech Elite

I don't think you sound angry!
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:50 PM   #5278
Tech Master

Default re bodies

My experiences.
Lola bodies offer the best stability all round, particularly at speed.
In relation to Tourer type bodies the shorter the overall length the better the car handles on tighter tracks
Whereas the longer the car the better on a straight.
The lower the better in both cases.
Oh well that was my turn to state the obvious.

gt

squizzytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:29 PM   #5279
rjl
Tech Fanatic

If you compare lola to 911 obviously there is a difference. Down here we tend to conform to IFMAR when choosing a body and it is difficult to tell the difference between the bodies. No one body seems to have a huge advantage or else only one body would ever be run. If you think a particular body is best, then it probably is for you. Personally I see little if any change to my lap times with different bodies but I do play with the wing angle and shape.
Others tell me they can tell huge differences but unless it's a real pig my actual lap times don't vary that much.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:51 PM   #5280
Tech Regular

The Japanese Kyosho website is avaliable in English now, though alot of it is still under construction, but that's good cause now I can stop using that sketchy translater thing and furthermore the American Kyosho distributor's site is a pile of useless crap, on the other hand the German Kyosho site looks nice, but again, gotta use the translator and I'm not sure how much useful info that one has either.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote