R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-08-2002, 12:04 AM   #5101
Tech Prophet

Default Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by squizzytaylor
The other thing that goes on is that some parts are made with identical part numbers in overseas factories and supplied to countries like Australia whereas the US would get the Japanese manufactured products.
Contrary to what many people think, a lot of stuff in the States are made elsewhere like Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea etc.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 AM   #5102
Tech Elite

Quote:
The other thing that goes on is that some parts are made with identical part numbers in overseas factories and supplied to countries like Australia whereas the US would get the Japanese manufactured products.

By the way if anyone wishes to recomend a really good servo please do so!

Also calimassive..what servos are you running and what do you mean by unresponsive?

I suppose one of the factors that effects me is that I primarily run rubber tyres on a med/low-traction track so torque is not a great factor however the-rr is going to be run on a high-traction track with foams so it could be interesting!

gt

I am sorry but there is NO WAY that a 3003 is adequate for serious open class gas racing. They will point the wheels and open the throttle but you lose a lot of corner speed due to wheel wobble and you braking power is seriously down. Notice I said "serious" racing.

I have put some Futaba 9450 servos into my V1RR for both servos and the car was instantly a different beast. It has incredible steering and super powerful braking. You really do notice the difference.

Also the digital servos make the feel of the car more sensitive. Analog servos are less "granular" then digital servos so the ditial servos respond more accuratley to small control movements.

The best part of the futaba is the unbreakable geartrain, very tough case and the motors are awesome quality. If you have ever opened a JR or Hitec servo motor you will see the brushes and commutators are very poor quality. The JR in fact uses 3 small brass colored "tabs" as comms, hardly long lasting.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:09 AM   #5103
Tech Elite

Quote:
By the way if anyone wishes to recomend a really good servo please do so!

I suppose one of the factors that effects me is that I primarily run rubber tyres on a med/low-traction track so torque is not a great factor however the-rr is going to be run on a high-traction track with foams so it could be interesting!

gt

Get a Futaba 9450 you will not be sorry.

Also you are correct about the rubber/foam thing. Once you run on an asphalt track with a 1.5hp motor and foam tires those 3003 will get a big workout.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:14 AM   #5104
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Contrary to what many people think, a lot of stuff in the States are made elsewhere like Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea etc.
You you got that right. I don't care really where things are made, you can tell quality items by asking around on sites like these.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:23 AM   #5105
Tech Regular

Well.... "made" is different than "designed", Futaba, JR, Sanwa/Airtronics, KO propo, are all Japanese companies, and their products are "designed" in Japan, but im sure some are "made" in taiwan or malaysia or wherever, because of labor costs.

Moreover, who in the US, or anyone else for that matter, dosent know that alot of things are not made in the US???? you must be talking about some pretty stupid people. I think what Squizzy was talking about was, that in Aussi land they might get some of the Taiwanese or Malaysian manufactured parts as opposed to the higher quality original Japanese manufactured parts, as we do in the US. Who knows if that is true, but the point is, Japanese manufactured stuff is higher quality for the most part, than Taiwanese or Malaysian. I think some of you missed that point.

Last edited by calimassive; 11-08-2002 at 12:40 AM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:07 AM   #5106
Tech Regular

BTW, bad news. I just got an email back from RCimports, the importers for Kawahara in the US, saying they cant import the Zac tuned OS engines to the US right now and that they are in the process of trying to do so. I think it might be in conflict with the current importer of OS engines, who also doesnt import the Zac tuned engines.

Oh, Squizzy, what i meant by "unresponsive" was that, with the stock servos (94102Z) the steering response time seemed a bit slow. But what do I know???

Last edited by calimassive; 11-08-2002 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:47 AM   #5107
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
I think what Squizzy was talking about was, that in Aussi land they might get some of the Taiwanese or Malaysian manufactured parts as opposed to the higher quality original Japanese manufactured parts, as we do in the US.
Yep, what you have stated above is the reason for my earlier reply. I get the impression that Squizzy thought in Aussie land, they get sub standard parts as opposed to the States... Which is not correct as you know it...
Old 11-08-2002, 01:53 AM   #5108
Tech Regular

Oh ok, I see what u meant. Got it.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:06 AM   #5109
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to blandv

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
More speed comes from:

1. Better driver skill (race speed)
2. Better engine (straight line speed)
3. Higher pinion gears (straight line speed)
I am a good driver and I have a new MT-12. SHould I go with 17/20 and leave the stock 48-44?
blandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:29 AM   #5110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to JordanC

You need to true you front tyres to suit you overdrive. The big advantage is you can run a small tyre on the front of the car, so the steering will be a lot more direct.
JordanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:43 AM   #5111
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by blandv
I am a good driver and I have a new MT-12. SHould I go with 17/20 and leave the stock 48-44?
Therotically, if you want the fastest straight line speed, get the largest pinion that you can find for the car together with the smallest spur you can find. This is for the 2nd gear...

Vice versa if you want a high puching car...

All this sounds interesting but in order to match the highest engine torque when you hit 2nd gear, you need to play around with the clutch. Some combos work with some engines, some don't.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:46 AM   #5112
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by jordanc
You need to true you front tyres to suit you overdrive. The big advantage is you can run a small tyre on the front of the car, so the steering will be a lot more direct.
Yes, you are correct. Lower ride height too.

Also, the reason why people use overdive is to compensate the different front and rear wheel wear rates.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:46 AM   #5113
Tech Master

Default AMG racer

Thanks for the info, the point you mention on wheel-wobble may have answered a long running problem ive had for a while
Ill try the 9450's definately,probably on the steerside first and see how they go!

once again thanks

gt

squizzytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:41 AM   #5114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by blandv

Go for it man.... but before you do, you should look at where you are racing.... if your racing. how long is the straight... is it tight in field.... having a high top end is useless if you dont have the room to rev it out
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:38 AM   #5115
Tech Regular

The newer Futaba S9451 digital high speed/high torque servo's look very nice too. I think just like the S9450's they are made specifically for car use. The S9451's are described on the Towerhobbies site as being especially suited for Touring Cars. The release date is late November and there about 20 bux cheaper than the S9450's. The S9451's also have the same speed 0.10 as the older S9450's but have a higher torque rating at 6 volts: S9450 = 111 S9451 = 120. That's what it says on the Tower site anyways. Sounds like you're getting a comparable servo for slightly less, if you wait about a month.