R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-07-2002, 07:54 AM   #5071
Tech Regular

I'm really mulling over getting the Hudy Ultimate Set Up station or the Integy Alignment station. Anyone have either? There's about a $75.00 difference, so I want to make sure I'm not wasting money by getting the Hudy.

oh, btw, I have a question about servos on the previous page. Thanks for everyones help.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:04 AM   #5072
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

set-up board, I can't see any reason to buy the HUDY over the integy. The integy is easier to read, comes with wheel nuts, has a caster guage, and you can get a lovely foam-lined case for it for 9 dollars more.

On servos IMO without doubt the best servos are ko digitals, and yes you can tell the difference. Some say steering is more important but if you run diffs the throttle/brake servo is equally as important.

JR 8000 series are also good and the high-end futaba's are good too. I would stay away from hi-tec digitals, yeah they have good support but who wants to be losing races when their servo craps out. I had one airtronics that fried itself and though I know people who use them with no problems they'll never get my money.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:50 AM   #5073
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
set-up board, I can't see any reason to buy the HUDY over the integy. The integy is easier to read, comes with wheel nuts, has a caster guage, and you can get a lovely foam-lined case for it for 9 dollars more.

On servos IMO without doubt the best servos are ko digitals, and yes you can tell the difference. Some say steering is more important but if you run diffs the throttle/brake servo is equally as important.

JR 8000 series are also good and the high-end futaba's are good too. I would stay away from hi-tec digitals, yeah they have good support but who wants to be losing races when their servo craps out. I had one airtronics that fried itself and though I know people who use them with no problems they'll never get my money.
I would have to agree. I've had both the Hudy and Integy, and I decided to stick with the integy. The wheel nuts are nice, and you don't have to worry about getting it all scratched up like plexiglass.

I also run KO Propo, and have never had any problems with them. They are the best servos I've ever owned. I tried Hitec for awhile, but you definitely get what you pay for. I had 3 Hitecs, purchased from 2 different shops all at different times and they all took a crap on me.
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:18 PM   #5074
Tech Master

a set-up is a set-up, I ve got the Integy (eagle in oz) and its great but at the end of the day if it tells you camber, caster and toe .....your on a winner.

gt

squizzytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:03 PM   #5075
Tech Master

Default calimassive

re the bumper....the cars set-up for a lola body ,I just threw the staraus body on for the photo

gt

Old 11-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #5076
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to blandv

I'm thinking of changing the spur gears and the side (27T) pulley to a 25T. Any suggestions or comments on how this will either increase or decrease my speed? I have the front oneway and the LSD. I also have a MT-12 with tuned pipe and of course a speed. All the pulleys are stock size but changed to aluminium. Thanks for the input.
blandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:10 PM   #5077
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by blandv
I'm thinking of changing the spur gears and the side (27T) pulley to a 25T. Any suggestions or comments on how this will either increase or decrease my speed? I have the front oneway and the LSD. I also have a MT-12 with tuned pipe and of course a speed. All the pulleys are stock size but changed to aluminium. Thanks for the input.
This really wont affect a great deal of stuff in terms of speed etc. Basically what it does is overdrive the front wheels. Overdrive will make the car pull a bit more stable out of the corners and possibly give you a shade more top speed.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:11 PM   #5078
Tech Master

Default servos

Ive tried different servos at different times on different cars and I keep coming back to the Futaba s3003's.......... Yes the standard ones that come with handsets. Ive paid big money for hitecs, jr's and been dissapointed with the performance or reliability. I am not serious enough to spend major bucks on ko digitals. The only thing I do is go with metal gears and a ballrace conversion for them. Each to thier own and they work for me, and cheaply!

gt

Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 PM   #5079
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
This really wont affect a great deal of stuff in terms of speed etc. Basically what it does is overdrive the front wheels. Overdrive will make the car pull a bit more stable out of the corners and possibly give you a shade more top speed.
Yes, it will overdrive the front with a smaller side pulley.

But the thing is when only the front is pulling the car, wouldn't it be dragging the rear wheels then? Can this be faster than when the overdrive is 1:1?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:51 PM   #5080
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
glad to see you're still alive AMG1 I was beginning to think except for HAG the old-heads had abandoned this thread.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:53 PM   #5081
Tech Prophet

Default Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by squizzytaylor
Ive tried different servos at different times on different cars and I keep coming back to the Futaba s3003's.......... Yes the standard ones that come with handsets. Ive paid big money for hitecs, jr's and been dissapointed with the performance or reliability. I am not serious enough to spend major bucks on ko digitals. The only thing I do is go with metal gears and a ballrace conversion for them. Each to thier own and they work for me, and cheaply!

gt

Ummm, I'm impressed... You're are using one of the lowest bottom line Futaba servos... How do you go about with a slow servo?

For me, I'm very particular about servos. I get the best I can buy but for my Tx/Rx gear, I get a moderate one. Saving I get for my moderate Tx/Rx I put on my servos.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:00 PM   #5082
Tech Master

Default Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by squizzytaylor

gt

Let's see, you're trying to control a 350+ dollar car with a 175+ dollar engine with fuel that costs 30 dollars a gallon and the only thing between your radio and your car's livelihood is a 10 dollar servo? To each his own. Conventional wisdom is if you want to skimp, find something else to skimp on besides servos. Maybe if you're bashing around or goofing off on low-speed tracks.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:01 PM   #5083
asd
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to asd

haha, lol, good analagy,
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #5084
Tech Master

Default re/re/servos

The point about this is that Iv'e tried several "premium" servos and have been let down by them. I had never bought anything futaba until a jr with dodgy wiring decided to stop steering one day and nothing else was available at the track. Money is not the issue when buying anything for my cars but I refuse to pay premium prices for Malasian/Taiwanese crap that has let me down previously. Ive driven many cars with KO's etc and allthough there is a difference in torque and speed I think the amount of relevant driver feedback is different from driver to driver. When and if I find servos that "truly" make a difference to me, I will gladly buy them......for all my cars

gt

Old 11-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #5085
Tech Regular

Well, I'm doing fine with the servos i got for now, but I feel like the steering is a bit unresponsive. That could probably be a number of things, but servo could be one reason. We'll see. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I just posted to some guy to ask his questions about the VoneR/RR in this thread. It really bugs when peeps start multiple threads about the same topic.

OH and Squizzy, JR and Futaba are Japanese companies, not Malaysian or Taiwanese, Hitec is Taiwanese though, and personally i stear clear of anything made in Taiwan, sketchy ussually. I'm sure all the high end servos are Japanese make; maybe Futaba, JR, KO, Sanwa assembles some of there less expensive servos in Taiwan or something though.

Last edited by calimassive; 11-07-2002 at 10:09 PM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote