R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 PM   #5041
Tech Regular

Squizzy thanks for the guidance on the Zac OS 12 TR. I'll shoot Kawahara US an email and see what they say. Thanks again.

p.s. I have a feeling in Aussi land that you guys probably have better access to stuff from Japan in general. U guys are closer to Asia.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:34 PM   #5042
Tech Adept

Has anyone tried the Kfactory/Trinity 3mm Light Weight Chassis? I'm currently running the 4mm, but it weighs a ton. I'd like to try the 3mm one, but I'm not sure if it's durable enough to withstand my driving.
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:25 PM   #5043
Tech Regular

Yo Squizzy, you think the ZAC OS 12 TR's can hang consistently with Novarossi's and RB's? I'm assuming they can, since you've seen them do well in you're area, and since you urself own one. Let me know how it holds up in races if u race anytime soon. I'm most likely gonna purchase one and try it out. I love my RB, but I quite like the idea of trying out new engines from time to time.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 PM   #5044
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
Yo Squizzy, you think the ZAC OS 12 TR's can hang consistently with Novarossi's and RB's? I'm assuming they can, since you've seen them do well in you're area, and since you urself own one. Let me know how it holds up in races if u race anytime soon. I'm most likely gonna purchase one and try it out. I love my RB, but I quite like the idea of trying out new engines from time to time.
Let me know if you find one for a decent price. I wouldn't mind trying one out either.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:57 PM   #5045
Tech Regular

DCR1Two, will let you know once i get one. I'll see if speedtech can do it.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:19 AM   #5046
Tech Regular

Noobie question: When peeps say that an engine has 1.3 hp or 1.35 or whatever, is it assumed that they mean at 36,000 rpm?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:29 AM   #5047
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

There is no industry standard for measuring horsepower. Every manufacturer has its own way of measuring. So there is no way to tell. Sometimes I wonder, maybe different manufacturer have different kind and size of horses so their horsepower rating are different.

It is similar to audio amplifier, sometimes brand A lower power rating amplifier will outperform (speaker driving power) brand B with a much higher power rating.

Last edited by Wolf; 11-06-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:33 AM   #5048
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf
There is no industry standard for measuring horsepower. Every manufacturer has its own way of measuring. So there is no way to tell. Sometimes I wonder, maybe different manufacturer have different kind and size of horses so their horsepower rating are different.
A good example of that would be the Rossi Pixy Black. Rossi rates this engine at 1.48HP @ 38,000 RPM. Trinity on the other hand rates it at 1.8 I believe. I guess it must get quite a workout on the boat ride over here to pick up the extra .3HP..
Old 11-06-2002, 12:35 AM   #5049
Tech Master

Mules are part horse!

I think

Some of the company claims are ridiculous, you can only tell what is good by watching it or hearing about it. Claims count for little in the world of nitro.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:33 AM   #5050
Tech Regular

I'll just try different engines out then and see what happens. I think as a newbie I'm most inerested in reliablity and ease of tuning. Once i get my driving skills up I'll be more concerned with raw power.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:42 AM   #5051
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by DCR1TWO
A good example of that would be the Rossi Pixy Black. Rossi rates this engine at 1.48HP @ 38,000 RPM. Trinity on the other hand rates it at 1.8 I believe. I guess it must get quite a workout on the boat ride over here to pick up the extra .3HP..

Yeah, but I like to look at a company's history too. Mugen rated their mt12 at 1.15 horse. I think I remember some mag did a real dyno test on nitro engines a while back and found that to be very close. Now from my exp. a well-tuned MT12 would flat out kick the arse of MOST other unmodified engines - even ones claiming more hp. So with mugen claiming 1.35 for the MR12, I would bet it's a powerhouse.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #5052
Tech Regular

how many engines do you own Patella????? ehhee, which engine had the easiest break in process?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:40 PM   #5053
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

enough to qualify me as officially in need of commitment to RC detox facility

actually i'm just in-between stages right now, I started out with outlaw everything but I want to start going to the next level so I wanted ROAR engines. Even though my club allows outlaw, now that I'm doing better I'm hearing the bitchin so I just want to go ROAR engines to keep the haters quiet. I will get it settled down eventually to a normal level.

Break-in...STS mod was easy as pie - wasn't much for me to do at all. All of them are really about the same to break-in, OS motors being a little easier seeing as how you can damn near take the carb completely off and that thing will still start, picco based and sirio a little tougher, nova-based right in the middle. But really, who cares how it breaks-in? The question is what will it do when you lean that baby OUT!!!!!!!!!!
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:48 PM   #5054
Tech Regular

Well I was just asking from the perspective of a newbie, cause I had a hard time breaking in my RB, I didnt realize it could be such a painstaking process to break in an engine. I thought u just put in gas and drive around slow for like 5 tanks or something. It turned out to be a bit more involved than that.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #5055
Nitro Tech

Thumbs up Round enough

That is the key point.If the piston and sleeve are VERY VERY round.The distance of friction between piston and sleeve can be limited to shortest and still have compression.It will make the temperature very cold and max rpm very high.Also will let you very easy to run-in.Most of people don't have lot patience.So ........
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote