R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #4591
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by autotr8er
Driving skills? Whatever man. Willing to put your money where your mouth is??
Hey look! you need to open your eyes! I did not say Driving Skills, I said Driving Habbit!

Next time please open your eyes before you start bashing on other respectable ppl around this forum!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:26 PM   #4592
asd
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to asd

good choice on the rbx-12
(P.S., the STS RS12 is like a beast in mah v one rr, it has alot of low end punch and gobs of top end, but i wonder how long till i need a rebuild... )

Last edited by asd; 10-08-2002 at 05:59 PM.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:37 PM   #4593
Tech Elite

I run the negative diff on my car all the time, for around 12 months now. I alternate between a front one-way and a front gear diff depending on the track. I usually run 10K oil in the negative diff and run with foam tires on an asphalt track.

Is it better than a standard gear diff, yes.
Is it better than a TCD, dunno never run one.
Is it heavier, sure.
Do I notice it, well not really. My car has just as much if not more punch than all the other guys on the track and better top end. It is for sure more heavy but it does not seem to be holding me back yet.

It is a common misconception about the negative diff that it only locks up when the right wheel spins. This is in fact incorrect. The diff has a centrufugal clutch in it which has no spring attached so any time the diff is rotating forwards these shoes are touching the diff case. As the torque forces on the diff increase (ie. under hard acceleration) it forces the shoes outwards harder against the diff. The same happens when the diff is spinng very quickly. So under hard acceleration and at high speeds the shoes are forced against the diff case hard and prevent the right wheel from spinning as quickly as it would like and adds to the general stiffness of the diff in a similar fashion as adding stiffer oil will.

Can I feel this when driving? Sure can. The car goes into a corner off power very nicely because of the light 10K oil I use then when I gas it hard (and the shoes bite to the case) the diff gets a whole bunch more resistance into it and the car then gets a tendency for mild oversteer (depending on your setup) which makes your tail end corner more quickly and more stable. The basic effect is a more stable tail end under power.

Is the effect mild? Sure is you have to be a good driver and have a well set up car to feel it. The negative diff NEVER locks up the diff like a solid will.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:51 PM   #4594
Tech Addict

Default Diff Leaking

Hi guys,

How often do you guys rebuild your diffs? Is it common for the diffs to be leaking all over the place. I rebuild mine sometime back and found that the screws holding the diff together (in the rear) not to be screwing in as well as it should be....would there be any solution to that? I gasket seal it but i still found it to be leaking today....both front and back...and that is worrying me.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Regards
Jeff
Pirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:01 PM   #4595
Tech Champion

Default Re: Diff Leaking

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirvan
Hi guys,

How often do you guys rebuild your diffs? Is it common for the diffs to be leaking all over the place. I rebuild mine sometime back and found that the screws holding the diff together (in the rear) not to be screwing in as well as it should be....would there be any solution to that? I gasket seal it but i still found it to be leaking today....both front and back...and that is worrying me.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Regards
Jeff
ditch the stock 2.6mm self tapping screws and replace them with same length 3mm machine thread screws.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:02 PM   #4596
Tech Addict

Default Thanks Manticore

Okie dokes!!...Will try that and see how it goes. So how often should i rebuild it?

Regards,

Jeff
Pirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:06 PM   #4597
Tech Champion

Default Re: Thanks Manticore

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirvan
Okie dokes!!...Will try that and see how it goes. So how often should i rebuild it?

Regards,

Jeff
it is best to examine the diff once in a while to make sure internal gear mesh good enough to hold the gears up to each others as the metal bevel gears do wear after runs.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:09 PM   #4598
Tech Regular

anyone got any foam tire suggestions for the V1rr? Any suggestions as far as type of tires depending on surface or type of track would be great. I'm just planning to drive my V1rr outside my house on the pavement at first, so I guess the stock foams will be fine for that, but I'm not sure what to get for spares. I know the permanent tracks around my house are asphalt, pretty large, and sweeping, i.e. long straights and not so tight turns.

Last edited by calimassive; 10-08-2002 at 10:19 PM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 PM   #4599
Tech Elite

Just see what's available, and what other people are running at the track once you get there (especially the Kyosho or Reflex fast guys, if any). I think most of us prefer like 42 in the front and 40 in the rear, or 40/37's with 26mm width and 30mm width respectively. The stock tires are okay, but they're 35 all around, which can be a little hard to drive for some. For me, Fast tires, Ellegi, and UFRA (all made by GRP)are readily available and fit well. Currently I'm looking for dish type wheels, maybe TRC's (trinity, blah!), to see if the wheels won't warp as easily. 30mm Jaco Nitro Shoes fronts don't fit. Dang, looks like that wheel is beefier

Patella: here's some pics in the following posts of the Integy chassis (and some other stuff):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg integybottom2.jpg (89.7 KB, 85 views)
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:51 PM   #4600
Tech Elite

anudda:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg integymotormount2.jpg (90.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 10:52 PM   #4601
Tech Elite

won moah:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg integymtrmount.jpg (87.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 10:54 PM   #4602
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by kevink2
Just see what's available, and what other people are running at the track once you get there (especially the Kyosho or Reflex fast guys, if any). I think most of us prefer like 42 in the front and 40 in the rear, or 40/37's with 26mm width and 30mm width respectively. The stock tires are okay, but they're 35 all around, which can be a little hard to drive for some. For me, Fast tires, Ellegi, and UFRA (all made by GRP)are readily available and fit well. Currently I'm looking for dish type wheels, maybe TRC's (trinity, blah!), to see if the wheels won't warp as easily. 30mm Jaco Nitro Shoes fronts don't fit. Dang, looks like that wheel is beefier

Patella: here's some pics in the following posts of the Integy chassis (and some other stuff):
this is 3 racing chassis
Old 10-08-2002, 10:54 PM   #4603
Tech Elite

anudda won: da rear towa brah!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg integyreartower.jpg (92.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 10:55 PM   #4604
Tech Elite

da kine front plate, local style:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg integyfront2.jpg (89.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #4605
Tech Elite

Ahh thank you Manticore for enlightening us... that's what I was wondering. It's pretty nice, except the motor mount screws still hang down too much.