R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2002, 10:10 PM   #4066
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: concord Ca
Posts: 1,440
Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Default Re: Your Input Requested.

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
Hello V One R Owners!

I am in the process of trying to dial in the suspension/handling set-up on my V One R. The magic combo has not yet appeared.

Tracks to tune for are Crystal Park and Revalation in CA. I've got a fr 1way, a solid rear axle, blade fr bar @ flat, med rr bar w/ RR rear shock mounts. I'm using Kyosho springs silver/60w front, black/80w rear. It feels light and responsive but the fast guys just have more cornering power.

What have you fellow owners found to work best for you? Can this car compete with a well prepared TC3 (this seems to be the new benchmark drivetrain layout)?
You seem to be on the right track with set up, A few things I would change would be put the gold spring in front and the black in the rear, try 1.5 neg camber with 1 deg toe out on each wheel also try 2.5 deg neg rear camber with around 2 to 3 toe in on the rear tire.
What tire are you useing and are you useing a rear swaybar, if the track is slippery I would axe the bar and use nothing at all.
These are my 2 cents worth
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:17 PM   #4067
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
as long as it's 4 ports or under my understanding is it's ROAR legal. People switch the button on their 3 port turbo's and they're perfectly legal - that's what I'm planning to do. I'm not sure about ifmar rules though.
The current IFMAR rules are "provisional"
IFMAR were to have a meeting at the Worlds prior to practice to decide things like rear tyre width, minimum weight etc. These decisions were to become effectively immediately.

Nothing like having plenty of notice, eh.

http://www.myrcworld.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=6063
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:20 PM   #4068
RC
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CA, U.S.A.
Posts: 93
Default

rjl:

I'm running ZAC foams 42 front, 30mm 40 rear and have a Protoform Opel Astra DTM*. (Thanks again for the tips on the Rossi!)

HEYALIGNMENTGUY:

Roger that on the gold springs and settings. The track usually has good bite and I run a black rear sway bar. What oil do you find best matches the gold fronts and black rears? Do you find any benefits from messing with caster?



*Side note on the body:

I know everyone says the Stratus is the best handling body, but I refuse to run it. EVERYBODY RUNS THE STRATUS! When I do watch 1:1 full bodied car racing, I can't remember ever seeing a Dodge Stratus in the mix (there probably is one though somewhere). Why cannot the people who make bodies concentrate on the more exiting and current lineup of touring cars and make it handle as well or better than the Stratus? And the Crysler 300M, WHAT THE #[email protected]


I sincerely appologize if I have offended anyone who loves their Dodge Stratus or Crysler 300 body. I don't know where that came from.
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #4069
Tech Master
 
patelladragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,638
Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default

Believe me man, you are not alone. I despise the stratus and so do plenty others. If it weren't for the crap ROAR rules I'd never own another one. It's not that there aren't other good handling bodies out there, it's just that roar has only legalized a select few.

I've been running 42.5 trinity oil with kyosho gold fronts and silver rears with good results on the RR. I know that may be less dampening than conventional foam setup, but it's working pretty well for on-power steering.

I think caster is def. worth experimenting with for your situation especially since it will affect your camber in the corner. Use more negative caster for more steering and if you can still hook with more steering walla - you're carrying more corner speed.

Take it with a grain of salt though, asd is mistaken I DO NOT qualify as a v1r guru. lol. Not yet
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #4070
Tech Adept
 
DCR1TWO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: CALIFORNIA
Posts: 133
Default

What droop settings are you guys currently running, and how are you setting your droop (with the shocks attached or not)?
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:24 AM   #4071
rjl
Tech Fanatic
 
rjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: OZ
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
rjl:

I'm running ZAC foams 42 front, 30mm 40 rear and have a Protoform Opel Astra DTM*. (Thanks again for the tips on the Rossi!)

HEYALIGNMENTGUY:

Roger that on the gold springs and settings. The track usually has good bite and I run a black rear sway bar. What oil do you find best matches the gold fronts and black rears? Do you find any benefits from messing with caster?



*Side note on the body:

I know everyone says the Stratus is the best handling body, but I refuse to run it. EVERYBODY RUNS THE STRATUS! When I do watch 1:1 full bodied car racing, I can't remember ever seeing a Dodge Stratus in the mix (there probably is one though somewhere). Why cannot the people who make bodies concentrate on the more exiting and current lineup of touring cars and make it handle as well or better than the Stratus? And the Crysler 300M, WHAT THE #[email protected]


I sincerely appologize if I have offended anyone who loves their Dodge Stratus or Crysler 300 body. I don't know where that came from.
With Kawahara or Active tyres run the same shore front and rear. You will have cronic understeer with the tyres you run. Try 40 front and 40 rear, I will run as low as 35 all round on Jap rubber, I have even used 35 standard front with 37 multi ring rear. These tyres are different to GRP. Personally I'm liking the Ovlov s60.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:59 AM   #4072
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 326
Default

what is "jap" rubber? you mean Japanese tires? If so, refrain from using the term jap. I dont know where you're from but in the states that's a racist term. Just lettin you know.

btw, still debating between getting a Kyosho V1rr and waiting for the Mugen MTX-3 to come out. At this rate by the time i decide teh MTX-3 will already be out.

Last edited by calimassive; 09-19-2002 at 04:02 AM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:10 AM   #4073
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
what is "jap" rubber? you mean Japanese tires? If so, refrain from using the term jap. I dont know where you're from but in the states that's a racist term. Just lettin you know.
Thats pretty funny Near where I live we have two businesses whose names are verbatim:

Jap Wreckers (a wrecked japanese car specialists)
Jap Importers (who import japanese cars)

But I guess we should cater to the lowest common denominator

Last edited by AMGRacer; 09-19-2002 at 04:25 AM.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:25 AM   #4074
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 326
Default

i dont know if its less uptight, maybe its just culturally different in Australia. Maybe in Australia its not meant to be offensive. In the US it is. The term goes back to WW2, kind of like Kraut or Hun for Germans. Anyways, lot of Asians in Australia im sure, probably in Sydney etc.. moreover, Kyosho is a japanese car, as is Mugen and Yokomo, so i found it strange that one would use that term and drive a japanese car. Let alone use the phrase at all. But like i said, maybe the word does not have the same implication in Australia. But anyways, peace.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:29 AM   #4075
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
i dont know if its less uptight, maybe its just culturally different in Australia. Maybe in Australia its not meant to be offensive. In the US it is. The term goes back to WW2, kind of like Kraut or Hun for Germans. Anyways, lot of Asians in Australia im sure, probably in Sydney etc.. moreover, Kyosho is a japanese car, as is Mugen and Yokomo, so i found it strange that one would use that term and drive a japanese car. Let alone use the phrase at all. But like i said, maybe the word does not have the same implication in Australia. But anyways, peace.
Yeah just pointing out over here it is part of the local lingo and has no racist implications. But I take your point and respect your culture. Peace.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:58 AM   #4076
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 326
Default

yeah, no problem AMG. I respect you're culture as well.

I'm still debating on getting a V1rr. What do you think AMG, or anyone else? Will it remain competitive after Mugen and Yok come out with their new TC's???
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:17 AM   #4077
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by calimassive
I'm still debating on getting a V1rr. What do you think AMG, or anyone else? Will it remain competitive after Mugen and Yok come out with their new TC's???
Well I think the new MTX3 looks great. And the new Serpent 705 looks awesome. I dont know much about the Yokomo but it will likely be awesome as well.

But frankly they are just "tidied up" versions of the older cars. A bit lower CG than the V1RR for example. I dont think there will be a huge difference between them.

At a recent Oz race there were 2 V1RRs in the top 3. This was up against NTC3, old model serpent, MTX2 etc. So my opinion for what it is worth is that it is and will remain competitive for some time yet.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:17 AM   #4078
Tech Master
 
patelladragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,638
Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer


Well I think the new MTX3 looks great. And the new Serpent 705 looks awesome. I dont know much about the Yokomo but it will likely be awesome as well.

But frankly they are just "tidied up" versions of the older cars. A bit lower CG than the V1RR for example. I dont think there will be a huge difference between them.

At a recent Oz race there were 2 V1RRs in the top 3. This was up against NTC3, old model serpent, MTX2 etc. So my opinion for what it is worth is that it is and will remain competitive for some time yet.
Especially the serpent I can't see where it's any real improvement over the pro. The mugen looks like it's got some significant changes though. These cars are all so close in performance, it's about maintenance costs,support, durability, and driving/setup. Any differential in the capability of the cars themselves is . big
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:35 AM   #4079
Tech Elite
 
kevink2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Glendale, Calif.
Posts: 2,154
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
rjl:

I'm running ZAC foams 42 front, 30mm 40 rear and have a Protoform Opel Astra DTM*. (Thanks again for the tips on the Rossi!)

HEYALIGNMENTGUY:

Roger that on the gold springs and settings. The track usually has good bite and I run a black rear sway bar. What oil do you find best matches the gold fronts and black rears? Do you find any benefits from messing with caster?



*Side note on the body:

I know everyone says the Stratus is the best handling body, but I refuse to run it. EVERYBODY RUNS THE STRATUS! When I do watch 1:1 full bodied car racing, I can't remember ever seeing a Dodge Stratus in the mix (there probably is one though somewhere). Why cannot the people who make bodies concentrate on the more exiting and current lineup of touring cars and make it handle as well or better than the Stratus? And the Crysler 300M, WHAT THE #[email protected]


I sincerely appologize if I have offended anyone who loves their Dodge Stratus or Crysler 300 body. I don't know where that came from.
I've run at both tracks you're asking about (and will be at Revelation this weekend, but racing 1/8th), but I think the solid axle may be a little too unforgiving at Crystal Park. Although it's large, I found the bumps made the live axle in the car a little hard to drive. Although I got great punch in the infield, it made it hard to get on the gas hard in the sweepers. It works better at Revelation. Right now I'm using 600 wt. all around with black springs. I'd like to get a harder rear sway bar for the RR as my GRP version swaybars don't fit right. I'd go pretty hard on the sway bar settings all around for C.P. and keep the suspension soft/reactive enough for the bumps (which also require more arm droop than Revelation). I think if you run 42-40 with golds in the front you may be a bit pushy. Gold springs all around may be okay. Regarding your body choice, that's personal, but there's a reason why all us guys are using Stratus', and it's not for looks, or scale realism. There are a few other bodies that work okay, but the Stratus design, so far, is the most neutral handling body out there. I love ZAC foams as well, but the 32 mm rears aren't ROAR legal I've recently discovered, and the rims are soft (same with Fast, Ellegi, etc). One tap on the boards and the rims warp. I've been searching for harder wheels lately. Jaco's have been recommended, but they're new Nitro Shoes don't come in the inbetween shores like 42 and 37, and the 30mm fronts don't fit on the V-One RR without trimming them down to 28mm wide on a truer. The search continues...
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #4080
Tech Master
 
patelladragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,638
Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default

kevin try the CRC foams and your search might be over. Great wheel on these things.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho VoneR Roller $120 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-06-2003 07:22 PM
kyosho VoneR w/ nova, pipe $200 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 07-25-2003 03:09 AM
Kyosho VoneR Macky R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 07-31-2002 09:04 AM
Brand new Kyosho VoneR kit $230 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-22-2001 02:12 PM
NIB Kyosho VoneR $250 Tag R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-21-2001 06:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net