R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #4006
Tech Elite

Patelladragger: Cool, I'll give that bearing cleaner a shot!

BTW, you must be a motorcyclist- what do you ride?
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 AM   #4007
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Kevin what don't I ride is a better question!!!

actually since Feb. I have been so caught up in RC I thinned out my bike collection and have not raced bikes since '01. I used to ride dirtbikes to train but I don't even do that anymore.

I used to race in texas and oklahama on-road in the 600 supersport and lightweight GP classes - then I had a kid and the wife wanted me out - plus I wasn't good enough to get any better than club level anyway (too big at 6'1 200lbs, too old at 27). The tracks I raced at have seen some fast dudes come through there, including colin edwards, the haydens, ben spies (never liked the little prick)...

Last street bike was '02 R1, before that 99 copper busa. Sold the R1 earlier this year and I'm waiting on team green to come out with a 10RR then it's time to get back on the street.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:17 AM   #4008
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
Kevin what don't I ride is a better question!!!

actually since Feb. I have been so caught up in RC I thinned out my bike collection and have not raced bikes since '01. I used to ride dirtbikes to train but I don't even do that anymore.

I used to race in texas and oklahama on-road in the 600 supersport and lightweight GP classes - then I had a kid and the wife wanted me out - plus I wasn't good enough to get any better than club level anyway (too big at 6'1 200lbs, too old at 27). The tracks I raced at have seen some fast dudes come through there, including colin edwards, the haydens, ben spies (never liked the little prick)...

Last street bike was '02 R1, before that 99 copper busa. Sold the R1 earlier this year and I'm waiting on team green to come out with a 10RR then it's time to get back on the street.
Cool, it is a young man's sport ain't it? You are a pretty big guy for a 600. I'm too old and chicken to race bikes nowadays, plus have the wife and a daughter, so safer endeavours like R/C pretty much quell my racing urges. I think motorcycle racers are a breed apart, and it takes something special to be the fastest guys around (big balls). I've been riding for almost twenty years, but limit it to just street riding, and don't even go up in the canyons that much anymore (lots of knuckleheads on Sunday mornings!), but still enjoy it and watching the racing. Been following Colin, the Haydens, and the Bostroms' for years. Hey, Nicky just scored a MotoGP ride at Honda, possibly as Rossi's team mate! Sweet! Poor Ben Boz looks like he's headed back to the states, resigning with American Honda. I wonder if Eric Boz is going to Europe now...
Old 09-16-2002, 10:29 AM   #4009
Tech Master

yeah for sure it's a young man's game when you're talking about pro racers. hell mladin and bayliss are considered in their twilight years!!! There a few old jokers who can cut a quick clip though - I really admired Joey Dunlop as a rider still whoopin tail at isle of man - hated to see him go.

I always thought eric more talented than ben but was pleasantly surprised to see ben break out last year. Eric really has skillz though I don't care what anybody says you put him on Nicki's bike and it's cya! I just hate that he seems to be stuck with kawasaki, hopefully they can get up to speed with a motoGP bike.

I kinda feel bad for Ben goes he and his brother are headed on opposite career paths.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:12 PM   #4010
Tech Elite

Yeah I think you're right about Eboz. My bud's got Joey Dunlop's overview of his career on tape and said it's amazing... too bad he didn't get more exposure stateside while he was still alive. I think BBoz' career took a downturn when he broke up with LeeAnn Tweeden (Blue torch TV, Best Damn Sports Show)! Lol. We used to hang in his pits when he was in the states just to watch her!
Old 09-16-2002, 01:57 PM   #4011
asd
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to asd

man! you guys are old! lol
daughters? wifes? sons?
I'M NOT EVEN IN HIGH SCHOOL YET!
heh, heh, anyways, i settled on lunsford 45 mm titanium turnbuckles, the punisher series i believe, is waht they say true? they will never break or bend?
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 02:14 PM   #4012
Tech Master

don't remind me ASD! lol. I only reason I hold out hope is Ralph Burch and B. Baker are old farts too
Old 09-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #4013
asd
Tech Addict

lol, any insight on the turnbuckles?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:26 PM   #4014
Tech Master

na - no insight on turnbuckles. I've never broken or bent a turnbuckle on any car i've had....knock on wood. Though if something is saving weight and doesn't compromise durability i'm all for it.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:27 PM   #4015
asd
Tech Addict

thxs
any other parts i should stock up on while at the hobby shop?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:28 PM   #4016
asd
Tech Addict

u old fart!
jk
Old 09-16-2002, 02:46 PM   #4017
Tech Regular

Default 24T Kawahara side Pulleys

It is my understanding that once these are installed, they are fixing the issue of straightaway speed for the RR. I know I need two of them and a different size belt(s?). Justed wanted to know what size Yokomo belts I need as well as verifying that the two 24T pulleys that I am replacing are on the 2 speed tranny shaft?
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:13 PM   #4018
Tech Master

i would just wait for the 23 tooth pinion gear - but I dunno - I haven't needed to do the 24T mod yet.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #4019
Tech Elite

Default Re: 24T Kawahara side Pulleys

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
It is my understanding that once these are installed, they are fixing the issue of straightaway speed for the RR. I know I need two of them and a different size belt(s?). Justed wanted to know what size Yokomo belts I need as well as verifying that the two 24T pulleys that I am replacing are on the 2 speed tranny shaft?
I did not know there was a straight line issue?? I have found the following gearing (very roughly since all tracks are different) works nicely:

1. Under 40 metre (120 foot for metric challenged) straightaway I use 16/19 48/44 gearing. I run a MT12 engine. I actually run out of legs JUST before the end.

2. About 50 metre (150f) I use 17/20 or 17/21.

3. About 60 metre (180f) I use 18/22 normally. Still have legs left at the end of the straight.

So in rough terms every tooth extra on the 2nd gear seems to be giving me another 30 foot or so. So mayby a 23t will give you 210f dunno. This is all rough approximations of course. Also my engine is extremely high revving.

Now if your straight is longer than this then you might want to consider the 24T conversion. The ROAR nationals track for instance is a good candidate.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 06:23 PM   #4020
asd
Tech Addict

man, i have so many stripped screws!lol, any suggestions on how to avoid this?