R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #3766
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Tyres are the first thing you need to get right, the rest of the car set up is acedemic if you don't have the correct tyres.
I no longer use GRP, the tyres I use now are designed to be used with the same rating front and rear.
On very high traction tracks the situation is different. If you come to the Nats the traction will be similar to what you're used to.
All my testing at the moment is aimed at finding a set up for the Nats. I will need to find a compromise that will give 45 minutes of track time, tyre wear will play a large part in the final.
At last years Nats I started with 64mm rear tyres and came home on the rims. You should have seen the sparks coming of the chassis screws.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 PM   #3767
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
Tyres are the first thing you need to get right, the rest of the car set up is acedemic if you don't have the correct tyres.
I no longer use GRP, the tyres I use now are designed to be used with the same rating front and rear.
On very high traction tracks the situation is different. If you come to the Nats the traction will be similar to what you're used to.
All my testing at the moment is aimed at finding a set up for the Nats. I will need to find a compromise that will give 45 minutes of track time, tyre wear will play a large part in the final.
At last years Nats I started with 64mm rear tyres and came home on the rims. You should have seen the sparks coming of the chassis screws.
What tires are you using?? I mainly use the FAST. You used like 8mm of foam at the last Nats?!?!?! Which track was this at?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 PM   #3768
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

a quote of an article written up by a top driver.........

Ralph Burch

United States E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.mytsn.com/ralph.burch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Ralph Burch (US)
Created: 18−05−01 TALK-BACK (7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How we go about choosing tires for a main event:

Qualifying
Most tracks we race at, we normally run 35 durometer tires front and rear for qualifying. The car seems to be most balanced with this combination. We never run more than a 5 point spread on the durometer reading. If you find that you’re having to run more than a 5-point difference, then there is something else wrong with the balance of the car.

The Mains
When we choose tires for the main event , we usually pick tires that are a couple of points harder on the durometer reading for the outside, so as the main event goes along, the tire wear stays relatively equal. Also, we might stagger the tires 0.5mm to compensate for tire wear during the main event. This helps make the car easier to drive and track straighter on the straightaway during a main event.

As far as choosing a tire size, we normally will measure tire wear during qualifying to see how much tire wear we get in a 5 or 10 minute qualifier (depending on where we’re racing) and make a calculation based on that information. In most cases, tire wear is usually not as bad during a main event because the track usually has more traction because of all the other main events run before the A-main. When calculating the size of the tires, we usually try and have the car come back with at least 2mm more than what we need so that the car doesn’t try to bottom out.

I hope this little bit of information will help you out for your next Main event. Good luck, and good racing!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:10 PM   #3769
Tech Fanatic

Default V-1-R Setup comments...

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer

RCLover. First up 35 shore tires should only be used if desperate they usually are far too soft and squirmy. Try to use 40sh as much as possible. Also I have found very good results with using matched spring sets (the ones specifically for the V1R) and tuning with the foam shore. 100K diff oil in the rear diff will be causing understeer bigtime. Also the front anti-roll bar being in the fully stiff position will be dulling off steering.
Thanks AMGRacer, appreciate your comments...
I will try out the 40 shore front. About the matched springs, what color should i use? Any part number?

I had tried the stock diff grease (30wt?) b4, the car reacted very 'washy' at the rear when exit the corner if i power too much...Now, the rear seems quite stable with this 100K.
As for the front, it seems i get quite reasonable steering with the fully stiff setting...
I will try one thing at a time and find out the best setup for this track...cheers
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:12 PM   #3770
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

dont worry mate!! it is a discussion board.

A general rule of thumb.

higher track surface traction you need higher shore tire
lower track surface traction you need lower shore tire

there is no compromise in here.
Thx Manti Unlike others I give advice and accept advice. I don't need to belittle or argue with others posts if I feel differently to them, we all have our own setup techniques!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:14 PM   #3771
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:

Thx Manti Unlike others I give advice and accept advice. I don't need to belittle or argue with others posts if I feel differently to them, we all have our own setup techniques!
absolutely
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:16 PM   #3772
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Setup comments...

Quote:
Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY

I also run on a small track, I personally would change the tires to something as in 42 front 37 rear, also try running without the sway bar in the rear, also put thicker shock oil in your shocks 30 wht is way too soft try 50 or higher I am useing 80 in mine
I think your front and rear camber is way too negative try something like 2.5 in the rear and 1.5-2 in the front.
Thanks HEYALIGNMENTGUY ...
U mean change the shock oil front and rear? They are thicker?
If i do change the shock oil to 50/ 80, what springs would u recommend?
cheers
Old 09-02-2002, 09:18 PM   #3773
rjl
Tech Fanatic

AMG last years Nats were in Adelaide.
Tyre wear was an issue there. The rear tyre I used was a little too soft and wear increaces as the tyre becomes smaller.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:20 PM   #3774
Tech Elite

Default Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover

Thanks AMGRacer, appreciate your comments...
I will try out the 40 shore front. About the matched springs, what color should i use? Any part number?

I had tried the stock diff grease (30wt?) b4, the car reacted very 'washy' at the rear when exit the corner if i power too much...Now, the rear seems quite stable with this 100K.
As for the front, it seems i get quite reasonable steering with the fully stiff setting...
I will try one thing at a time and find out the best setup for this track...cheers
Here are my comments based on my personal setup technique (disclaimer for those with bugs up their ass):

If the track has a decent amount of traction try the Kyosho Gold front and rear springs. If the track is sorta slippery stick with the black ones. I have never got the silvers to work they seem too soft. I actually use fantom springs, and my track is not very grippy, but I have been racing there for a few years and I run pretty good lines.

I always use the hardest foams that offer decent grip. Why? Simple harder wears longer you get more runs for your dollars. Also the softer foam tend to get squirrley in turns and on the straightaway in my opinion. If 35 is all that works on your track then that is OK as well!

The kit (V1R) oil is 50wt. 50wt should be fine I use it and it seems to work.

I run my swaybar as soft as I can because the blade style V1RR bars are very still even in the softest position. Less swaybar equals better mid corner bite but turns in less hard. I like an agressive steering car mid corner.

Trust me the 100K in the rear diff will make the car understeer into a corner and oversteer out of a corner. This may be why you need such soft rear tires. Most people I know of settle between 30K and 5K rear diff oil.

Trying one thing at a time is a good idea!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:23 PM   #3775
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
AMG last years Nats were in Adelaide.
Tyre wear was an issue there. The rear tyre I used was a little too soft and wear increaces as the tyre becomes smaller.
I was talking to Simon Camalleri from Xtreme Hobbies and he says that the track is quite low grip. I was surprised since it "looks" like a fairly high grip track. How did you find the altitude changes in the track!?
Old 09-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #3776
Tech Fanatic

Default Yet to try harder...

Quote:
Another question for RCLover have you tried harder foam? What happened?
I've not tried harder tyres...few guys on the track run 35-37 shore...
This track is small, a parking lot converted track, but the track is clean.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:45 PM   #3777
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Setup comments...

Quote:

cheers
Before you start experimenting with alot of different suspension changes, I would suggest going back to the suggested Kyosho setup for foam tires to get a good baseline starting point. Companies put alot of R&D into formulating a good baseline that should work in a variety racing conditions. I believe with the front one-way they suggest 3000 wt for the rear diff, stock springs, and 35 shore tires all the way around. I would also set the sway bars to the softest settings first and fine them along with the rest of your suspension AFTER you find a good tire combination. With the baseline setting you should be able to find a good tire combination to get you in the ball park. I would have to agree that you always want to run the hardest tire compound(less sidewall flex more consistent) along with the stiffest suspension settings(less body roll) that your track conditions allow. At the track I usually race at we have medium traction that calls for a 37 or 40 shore tire with 60wt oil. Once you find your tire combination, make suspension changes based on your driving style.

BTW - What brand foams have you guys tried? I've been running Treads and Mugen, but I've heard Zac Project and Ellegi are also good.
DCR1TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:47 PM   #3778
Tech Master

Default Re: Yet to try harder...

Quote:

I've not tried harder tyres...few guys on the track run 35-37 shore...
This track is small, a parking lot converted track, but the track is clean.
i have been using 40 shores with good result so far...
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:54 PM   #3779
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: V-1-R Setup comments...

Quote:

Most people I know of settle between 30K and 5K rear diff oil.
U mean 30 K front and 5 K rear?

But, i am running the front-way. Not sure what's the grease wt as in the kit. Mine is a GRP Version (Gold Label) with Sponge tyres, front oneway and sway bars.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:07 PM   #3780
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HEYALIGNMENTGUY Send a message via Yahoo to HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Default Re: Re: Re: Setup comments...

Quote:

cheers
I personaly run 80wht front and rear for a slipper track surface
black kyosho spring in front and silver in rear

for high bite I run gold all around and maybe a rear swaybar
HEYALIGNMENTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote