R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-21-2003, 05:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Actually I went and looked at the ROAR rules and unless I missed something the mod doesn't appear to be illegal. There is something in the rules that mentions you cannot flute the crank in the .15 2wd class but I didn't see any such restriction for .12. There is language about the amount of "unchamfered" area but I didn't see anything that clearly says what you've done there is illegal. Hope it works well!
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

-

Last edited by DanielSon; 04-22-2003 at 05:28 PM.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:16 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This prototype crank came about after a late nite sleeve cutting session. First... a little background about us... just a couple of avid racers wanting to go a little faster...except Dan's dad has this EDM shop that can do anything we can imagine. The guy make instruments for pace makers, not to mention parts for the space shuttle and top secret shit that was on display in Iraq. (now this is not an invitation to kidnap Daniel...) So...armed with the means and the need for speed, we are attempting to build the fastest 12 engine...bar none. To the Naysayer...SILENCE!!! Whether we succeed or not, we are trying... and in ways that has never been attempted. Constructive critisism are welcome however.

The pictures here depict the first stage. The "fan" is a turbine shape conjured by Jeff (Dan's fazzzer). There are things you do to a motor to make power and then things you do to make it more efficient. This mod netting us both. In testing with this mod alone,i.e. Stock carb, stock timing.... the motor was extremely responsive, and to our surprise more like amazement.. the motor ran consistantly over ten minute per tank. I knew the motor would be snappy due to the 30% reduction in weight or counterweight, but 10 to 11 minutes...damn. It's hard to quantify what the hell is going on in that little motor without some king of computer model...but through trial and error, the "fan" (I prefer teh "turbine") has proven to be quite effective in fuel atomization. This mod is definately a keeper in our on going pursuit in R&D.

Dan has in his possession "stage 2". Visualize fuel and air mixing in the venturi and the molecules traveling through the induction port with the aid of vaccum. Now imagine if somehow that fuel is corkscrewed and acelerated mechanically thru the crank bore. That is fundamentally stage 2. The crank bore has been rifle bored to force feed and pressurize the crank case. Mind you all this is with stock induction and exhaust timing. Dan will do more testing...

We have other wild ideas that we will eventually implement, but for now stay tune... with our pursuit of the fastest 12 out there.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #19
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Testing at LeMans RC? I may have to stop by to check what all this wahoo is all about.

Keep up the good work DanielSon and Jonathan. The work looks great.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #20
Tech Master

Can i get my hands on one? Are you guys selling? How much?
GT-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:43 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

Wow

Whats a EDM

sounds like you guys are pretty confident and your mod looks good
keep the feedback coming im interested

a suggestion about stage 2 to make the fuel corkscrewed in couldnt you make a thread inside the crank shaft
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to KawadaKid

I am Very interested in getting my hands on one of those. Email me i u guys are gunna market them.
KawadaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Unhappy where are the pics!!

I just came here and read all these posts but I don't see anything of what you guys are talking about,, Daniel Son, did you took out the pics??
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:38 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Whats a EDM

Electrical Discharge Machine

Itís a machine that uses a copper or graphite electrode to erode away metal from a piece of material by using electricity to create an arc. The electrode has the inverse shape of what you want on the material. Its widely used in the mold making industry.

I would love to see the pictures of this engine.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
Maximum Performance Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:50 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to rifle the bore of the crankshaft? Cause the way I see it is that ROAR stipulates that you cannot enlarge the diameter of the bore. This in effect limits the volume of the crankshaft bore. (Since you cannot alter the length of the crankshaft, the diameter is the variable used to control volume.) So what we are really dealing with here is the restriction of the crankshaft bore volume. By rifleing the bore, you are augmenting the bore volume thereby infracting the aforementioned "rule". So are we breaking the rule or just teetering on the edge of it? Or rather, am I making any sense?

Sorry for your inconveince,

Let me know what you think
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:11 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to JusDamFast Send a message via AIM to JusDamFast Send a message via Yahoo to JusDamFast

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Correct me if I am wrong but is it not illegal to rifle the bore of the crankshaft? Cause the way I see it is that ROAR stipulates that you cannot enlarge the diameter of the bore. This in effect limits the volume of the crankshaft bore. (Since you cannot alter the length of the crankshaft, the diameter is the variable used to control volume.) So what we are really dealing with here is the restriction of the crankshaft bore volume. By rifleing the bore, you are augmenting the bore volume thereby infracting the aforementioned "rule". So are we breaking the rule or just teetering on the edge of it? Or rather, am I making any sense?

Sorry for your inconveince,

Let me know what you think
I think I need a Translater!!!
JusDamFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by JusDamFast
I think I need a Translater!!!
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:14 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

A note about crank rules that keep popping up. As of a year ago, there are no more crank "rules" with the exception of 235mm 2wd which is now officially a dead class per ROAR and IFMAR. You can do whatever you want to the crank. The things that are "techable" in sedan now as far as motors are concerned are:

*displacement
*carb opening 5.5mm
*3 intake + 1 exhaust port
*exhaust port height
*standard thread glowplugs/head
*no ceramic parts
*pipe stinger length and ID

I think that covers everything but I'm just going from memory. I think the only other thing IFMAR techs is 16% nitro but there may be more.

What up Dan & Jon? It's looking like I'm going to KZ this weekend... L8
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:08 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I CAN'T SEE THE PICTURES? DID SOMEONE SAVE THE PICTURE?
I JUST WHANT TO SEE WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
THANKS.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:10 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Are there any official IFMAR rules for nitro touring???
By EFRA 2003 rules the crankshaft hole must have maximum 7 mm bore at its END (no rule about what happens between the rotary valve and the end!). The hole can be finished with continuous _unbroken_ chamfer with a maximum 0.5 mm width.

So, you can rifle the all you want in the crank channel, but you have to leave the end intact. The same for the scoops, you can cut all the turbines you want, but the end of the hole (and the chamfer) have to stay. So the scoop can not continue into the crank channel.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote