Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What is good setting for STS RS3? >

What is good setting for STS RS3?

What is good setting for STS RS3?

Old 04-17-2003, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What is good setting for STS RS3?

What is a good needle setting for the STS RS3? It doesn't have to be perfect, just as long as it doesn't break the engine. Also, what is a good break-in setting?
Old 04-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

Take it out of the box and mount it, and start it...if you need to, richen it a little to keep the rpms down...
Old 04-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

factory needles:
high - 4 turns out
low - 4 turns out
mid - flush w/ carb body
idle - 1mm

start here and lean the high - but NOT much - u might only be able to lean it to 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 - sts motors dont need much leaning - watch the temp to be around normal running - 250 range - chk for good smoke as u accel but little to none as u shift to 2nd.

do std pinch test for low needle - should run for no more than 4 secs WITHOUT reving up - just steady running till it starves out.
if it revs = too lean - turn it OUT very slightly - 1/12 turn at a time till it starves out smoothly. car should idle good and rich - should sputter a visable amount of fuel at IDLE - this ensures good fuel for high accel and top speed running..

i have sts12 - this is how i do it...