R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Newby 1/8 Nitro Questions

This is my frist post so go easy.
First a little about me. I live in Japan and make my living at an RC shop.I dont speak very much Japanese and my Manager is a 1/12 guy anyway.So i cant really get that much advice from him about 1/8 cars. I live near Boss Speed and have driven my electric cars there often,but there is allways some 1/8th cars really tearing up the circut. Im going to buy the Spada .09 to learn about Nitro but i want to get a 1/8th car project going.So hears what i need help with
I have alot of Evolva 2001 and Mugen Mrx2 parts,even some Mugen Sting parts.
Anyway im not rich so i need some ideas. Should i try and sell all the parts and get a new Evolva.or should i try and dig up the rest of the parts for one of the older cars that i have some parts for? I have an Engine, pipe,and carb. If old parts are cheap it might be better for me to build a 2001 Evolva than buy a new one. If the old parts are expensive then its a new evolva for me.
Im open to any ideas
Thanks in advance
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Tech Adept

The cost of parts for the older cars (01 Kyosho Fantom (the Evolva didn't come out until 2003), Mugen MRX2, Mugen Sting (I've never even seen this car)) won't be the problem. The problem lies in finding these parts as they are no longer in production.

The 1/8 chassis have come a long way since that time, so you'll probably be better off with a new car (Kyosho should have the 07 Evolva kits coming out fairly soon since they just released the conversion kits for the 05 Evolva). The engine and pipe, you can probably get by with until you feel comfortable driving 1/8 onroad.

You might want to see what chassis is being driven at your local track, so that you can get help when you need it. All the current 1/8 onroad chassis are great designs and you wouldn't be wrong to choose any of them.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Tech Master

ROFLMAO!!! I laughed for 10 minutes at your screen name. For those that don't know japanese it means StupidForeigner. I needed that laugh today.

Anyway, about the 1/8, its almost always cheaper to buy a complete kit then to try and gather the parts to complete one. You can also buy a used rolling chassis with extra parts for less then the cost of a new kit too.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. I must say that a new Evolva is most likely what i will get as I can run at the Kyosho Circut for $5.00 a day. So it looks like i will be getting rid of the parts and just get a new Kit.
I really have alot of parts though. Ive got something like two new chassis five front bulk heads,6 sets of front arms, and alot more stuff and its all new . Do you think i should hold on to any of it untill after i get my new Evola? Or are most of the parts just useless?
Thanks again
Im surprised that Rapid Roy figured out my web name he is only the second person ever to figure it out.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

LOL, You can't tell from my screen name or avatar but I'm Japanese.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Tech Adept

The bulkheads, arms, general suspension stuff were all updated between the Kyosho Fantom and the 03 Kyosho Evolva. And there has been some revisions between the 03, 05, and the just released 07 Evolva parts.

If you have the APP brake set from the Fantom, it can be used and is a nice upgrade to the Evolva brakes. There are some small parts that haven't changed, but I can't tell you off the top of my head which pieces they are. You could always go to the website and download the instruction manual and compare parts.

Actually Rapid Roy is the third, I just didn't think of saying anything . I wish I could be in Japan right now, but it is either Japan or racing.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again guys, Ive manged to get ahold of a Fantom Manual and a 2005 Evolva manual. Pretty big differences but some of the parts will work together. So ill save the parts in case something might fit later.
Thanks again