R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Too Much Horsepower?

Ive notice that whenever i give it to her, my tires lose traction and the car is uncontrolable... to much horsepower or balance issue? i have rubber racing slicks that are prepped with a tire compond. Any ideas? BTW i have a Nitro TC3 Plus
XNXIXTXRXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Tech Regular

well your problem is rubbre tyres they are no good for nitro unless you running on carpet and i believe only the hudy guys do that
mugendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey, the problem is not your rubber tires, provided they are a reasonable compound for the surface you're running on, and they are not rock hard rubber... rubber tires will usually grip BETTER than foam tires on a dusty street or unprepared surface, basically I would be looking to see if the car is set up correctly, close to proper ride height, proper droop, etc. one of the more sesative adjustments on these cars is the toe in in the front and rear, it should have a fair amont of toe in in the rear,like 3 degrees per side, and pretty much zero toe in or out in front, a little camber in both ends for rubber tires, the other big thibg to look at would be, that the drive is working to both ends of the car, if it has a front diff, make sure it is not slipping or loose, and that the rear diff is not too tight, I really think you should be able to get rubber tires to work just fine on that car, I would avoid using the traction compound, as that often makes dust stick to them and make them slippery. GOOD LUCK!
Ffejdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Tech Master

I have to agree. it comes down to your trigger feel and set up. Its a matter of learning how to get that power to the ground. its common to go from something thats easy to drive and do well but when you have more grunt you have to re learn a few things .
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
I have to agree. it comes down to your trigger feel and set up. Its a matter of learning how to get that power to the ground. its common to go from something thats easy to drive and do well but when you have more grunt you have to re learn a few things .
Sometimes it doesn't matter if you set-up the car as best you can. Or how good your trigger finger is. If you have wrong tires, you'll be fighting a loosing battle. The stock tires that come with NTC3 are good for concrete or rough asphalt. It doesn't work well with dusty streets and parking lot. Get the softest compound and put it on the rear tires. HPI X-patterns are the most common I see in the hobby shops and they work well on streets and dusty parking lots.
dnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Tech Regular

should i buy adjustable shocks? right now i have the clip shocks, that are a pain in the ass to adjust.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't think you would need to get new shocks, especially if you are running rubber tires, You don't generally need to change ride height very often with rubber tires. It can be just as much of a pain to change ride height with the threaded adjusters, to get them even and the height you want.
Ffejdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Tech Regular

yeah i figured that... i just ran through 2 tanks doing adjustments and tests. ive concluded its the differential. the car doesnt spin out but it seems like there is more power being put to the left side making it go right. how would i go about changing or fixing it? should i just tighten it? i have both front and rear... Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Tech Master

Check your tweak first. That will always cause the problem you are having.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNXIXTXRXOX View Post
yeah i figured that... i just ran through 2 tanks doing adjustments and tests. ive concluded its the differential. the car doesnt spin out but it seems like there is more power being put to the left side making it go right. how would i go about changing or fixing it? should i just tighten it? i have both front and rear... Thanks
I had the same issues with my NTC3 i run foams though, it was the diffs they were crunchy as hell. I also took the time to set the car up correctly with a setup station and that made it much more driveable. Still gotta squeeze on the throttle from a dead stop or else it becomes hellatiously uncontrollable. but you drive smooth, its easily driveable.

Just rebuild your diffs, cost about 10-11 dollars each for a full rebuild kit, then either use a setup board and make sure the tires are all pointing some what the same direction, or at least eyeball em and try and get em close.
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I work on the diffs. a slight and i mean slight improvement. it now almost seems like the front wheels are jerking to the right throwing the car over. i checked the swing rack bolt and its not touching the drive shaft. ive tried many things, i cant seem to get it to work. any more ideas guys? BTW thanks for all the help so far
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Tech Regular

i was also in a crash about 6 months before... nothing seemed to be wrecked when i checked it back then and i checked it now. nothing noticeably wrong...
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #13
Tech Master

did you check your tweak?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
Tech Master

Also check your rear arms for cracks near the hinge pin
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Tech Regular

what is tweak?