R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-25-2002, 01:59 PM   #1321
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: re;

Quote:
Originally posted by carpet_killa
ah10 , thanks for the set up. how much is a mid one way? also what tooth of pullies do you run on the out side belt ( exaust side). thanks
I dont remember how much was the mid oneway, it wasnt that much!

Now on the pulley size, I am using exactly the same size as stock, if I am not mistaken it's 19 and 24T, the one that pulls the long belt is 18.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:14 PM   #1322
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That's what I thought Dennis. Guys around here (as far as I know) use the gear diffs. We have tight tracks for the most part as electric run with gas here also. Yes I would like to see your set up. Last year the stock set up except for rear toe and springs worked for me. I'm just trying to get the car even more dailed. Show me the set up Dennis.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #1323
Tech Regular

Default ultra hop up mtx-2

any one looking for a mtx2 . well there is one on ebay that has it all !!!!!! i mean it all....look here---- http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...708578233:eek:

boy do i wish i waited a couple weeks on buying my pro spec !
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:04 PM   #1324
Tech Initiate

Isaac-

Here ya go:

Front: 10K diff, Assoc TC3 yellow springs (35lb), 50wt oil, shocks laid all the way down. Shock length 64 to 65mm (doesn't really matter as long as both left and right are the same length). 0 toe, -1 camber, 5mm ride height. Castor is a one thick and one thin spacer behind upper arm.

Rear: 5K diff, kit rear spring (long silver one). 30wt oil, upper shock position: middle hole. Shock length 66mm. 3 degree rear toe. -1 camber, 5.5mm ride height. Camber link, lower inner hole on tower and upper outer on hub.

Tires: 45sh front, 37sh rear. Tire diameter 61mm.
Body: Protoform Stratus

Notes:

I ran the above set up at our season opener so the track was a little "green" (plus it was the first time our track allowed foams to be run on nitro sedans). Also, since our average club turnout is usually about 140 entries (this is just for nitro days, electric days are just a little below that), there's not a lot of time to test.

From what I can tell, the car had a tad too much on power and off power push for me, but the car was very easy to drive (plus it was competitive) so I left it alone. If I had more time to test, I probably would've made some simple changes (eg, use softer front tires or harder rear, maybe try a rear sway bar or stiffer rear springs to free up the rear end a little -- just to get it to rotate more).

If you notice my set up above, I didn't list what settings my droop screws are at because I didn't use any. Our track is a parking lot, so it tends to be bumpy. Thus, I allowed the shocks to be at full travel and I only used the droop screws to set tweak.

Hope this helps,
DT
Dennis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #1325
Tech Master

Dennis

Are you running foams this weekend?
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:14 PM   #1326
Tech Regular

Default carbon fiber parts ?

the penguin front and rear shock tower carbon fiber parts are they thick and durable ? and who sells Five Star parts
Old 02-25-2002, 07:33 PM   #1327
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

DT!!! whoa that's almost my set up. The changes.
Harder rear foams like 40 shore (double purple front & purple in the rear), Assoc. purple springs front and Assoc. gold rear springs and 3 degrees rear toe in. I'm using 30K in the front and I think I'll go down to 10K. Oh I used the stock shock oil fron and rear. I might try something thicker than yours. 80wt front and 60wt rear.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:08 PM   #1328
Tech Initiate

psycho--

Yes, I'm planning on being there, but the kids have basketball playoffs and little league opening day is fast approaching (wife is on the board), so I have to beg..er..I mean "discuss" it with her to make sure.=)

Isaac--

Yup, that set up is actually my rubber tire set up (which worked really well for me). Again, this is the first season of nitro where foams are allowed (in sedans that is). So, I'm sure it's going to take a few races before we really hit on a "killa" set up. Honestly, I feel the car is really close right now (at least for my driving style). Just a few tweaks here and there and it will be "perfect".

When Mike Swauger (factory Mugen) looked at my car, he thought that the diffs may have been a little too "light" for foams. Normally, if the fluid is too light, your car tends to "diff-out" (meaning it unloads too much -- which makes the car handle a little erratic while cornering). Surprisingly, I felt the car was really stable and predictable, so I'm going to leave it alone.

Yes, I think the large difference in shore ratings between the front and rear tires had quite a bit to do with the push that I had. But, as I said earlier, the track was "green" so we were kind of struggling for traction in the morning practice. Once they resprayed it, traction was great -- but I didn't have the time to test other compounds. So, I pretty much just ran the car the way it was.

Good luck,
DT
Old 02-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #1329
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Dennis,

your rear tires are too soft, that's why you have a push.
Try 40 in the rear, they also wear better
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 05:42 AM   #1330
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T
Default Check this out boyzzzz

New MTX chassis and solid rear :

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 07:24 AM   #1331
Tech Regular

Default RE:

chassis looks sweet , but i bet it is expensive ! huh?

front 1 ways - to get the best results with them . do you run a solid axle with the one - way , or what is the best way . to keep from sliding around ? cause the car handled good ,then i tried the front 1 way deal ,and it just spins out now
what should i do?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:30 AM   #1332
Tech Initiate

Stefan --

Thanks, I think so too so I will get some 40sh rear and some 42sh fronts to try this weekend (I'm banking that my begging the wife will be successful).

DT
Old 02-26-2002, 02:21 PM   #1333
Tech Elite

Exclamation Kawahara negative diff

I just got a neg. diff off Ebay and it looks brandnew and smooth.
I got the original instructions with it, which are in Japanese.

I understand how the thing works, I have one question though.

There is a small hole in the aluminum housing, where the clutch shoes are.
In the manual, there is quite a long comment about that hole, BUT I CAN"T READ IT :-))

Can somebody tel me what that hole is good for?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 02:40 PM   #1334
Tech Elite

The holes in the negative diff is for cleaning. Spray some CRC in there to clean.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:39 PM   #1335
Tech Elite

Cool

Thanks AMG racer.

I actually thought CRC had something to do with "Calandra Racing Concepts"