R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #751
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10

I dont know but probably not, need to spare sometime with my wife! But I am going next Tuesday to test the car some more!
Yeah I'm going, myself and about 5 of us our coming down from Vegas, we were at the Silverbowl today running our cars and working on Set up for next week, Revelation is about 3/4 the size of the Silverbowl and we are running Yokomo 26 Fronts and 32 rear firms. Because that's what I ran down there last time I was there over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm just going to change my gearing to 17/21.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:15 PM   #752
Pek
Tech Rookie

Default Engine problem

I finally had to take the engine apart and hammer the piston out the sleeve - souds bad, but no damage.

i have the ofna box, but it still cant turn over the engine. the piston keeps getting stuck - tried 10 times. cant turn it by hand or with tools. blow dryer didnt work.

any suggestions?
Pek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:23 PM   #753
Tech Master

Default Re: Engine problem

Pek

You must be running really lean. Put after run oil down the glowplug hole and work it around before starting. I'd start by richening the engine 1 whole turn on the highspeed needle and, once you get it started, keep richening it up until the engine bogs down and has hardly any power. From there, start leaning it out until you get it tuned. I'm not sure how much experience you have in tuning three needle carb engines, but they are a little tricky. It can be difficult to get the right settings for each needle. Check out Paris Racing's website for engine tuning tips. http://www.parisracing.com/engine_tu...coversheet.htm Their entire tech section is very good.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:26 PM   #754
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i had similar issues, but not as bad. If you loosen the glow plug when you are trying to start it, it will start easier. When the piston would get stuck, I would put a flat head screw driver in the teeth of the flywheel and use the chassis opening as leverage and move the flywheel. Worked everytime. After banging on it and all you might have the piston in the sleevw crooked. In which case I think you might have ruined the sleeve. I am not sure which of the metals contracts faster but if the piston will contract faster than the sleeve, maybe you can toss it in the freezer.
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:44 PM   #755
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by AsphaltAssasin

Yeah I'm going, myself and about 5 of us our coming down from Vegas, we were at the Silverbowl today running our cars and working on Set up for next week, Revelation is about 3/4 the size of the Silverbowl and we are running Yokomo 26 Fronts and 32 rear firms. Because that's what I ran down there last time I was there over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm just going to change my gearing to 17/21.
Last week when I was there(Revelation) I was using Yokomo 26 and 32mm foam Firm too, but seems like the traction is pretty good, going to try 26mm firm and 32mm hard on Tuesday. will let you know how it works!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 10:16 AM   #756
Tech Regular

Great Thanks, Also do you true your tires down or do you run them in?
Old 12-03-2001, 10:47 PM   #757
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Great Thanks, Also do you true your tires down or do you run them in?

Just run them in, dont have a tire truder!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:18 PM   #758
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Big Problem - Need Help!

We broke in our .21 by opening the high end needles and low needles bit more than needed (1/2 turn) and spin the motor without the GLO-Plug... just a few times (3-4) fuel will go everywhere. Drain the excess fuel, Reset the needles, put in glo-plug... fire it up...

Next we would break in... a FAT throttle, sometimes we used the glo ignitor to keep first tank running, After first tank, start leaning out, but remember to drive as if you were racing it. Usually by 6-10 tank later the needles are set, the engine is spunky... and actually runs pretty cool... We did this with my RZB, OFNA, a few REX and a Novarossi.... so far they are running fast as ever..

Rich

Quote:
Originally posted by Pek
I just got the prospec w/Mt12.

After one tank of breaking it in, I attemted to start up another tank but piston seems to have jammed at just below when it reaches the top of the barrel. My starter cant turn it over, and i tried everthing else with no luck.

Took the engine off the car and tried to turn it over manually but it wont budge. I took the engine apart and tried every way to free the bind but cant figure out what to do.

Please help with any suggestions, or if anyone has had to return engine back to mugen please post where to send.

This is extremely frustrating.

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 09:58 AM   #759
Tech Master

Quote:

Calling AsphaltAssasin Calling AsphaltAssasin.................

Negative Diff and Front oneway Round 3

Yesterday I was using Yokomo 26mm and 32mm firm on Relevation but did some adjustment on suspension, it works really great. Here is what I have it set up:

Front
Camber : 0 degree
Toe : 0 degree
Caster : 8 degree (all the clips towards the rear of the upper A-arm.
Spring[/B] : Mugen Light Blue

Rear
Camber : 2 degree
Toe : 2 degree in
Spring : Mugen Light Blue

With the above alignment set up the car was more neutral at turns compare with last week with 3d rear toe and 1d rear camber, rear tire wear wasnt good at all, worn out like a ice-cream cone at the rear, It might have been the springs I was using were too soft(hpi pro linear pink 272g/mm).

With 2d and 2d at the rear, the only difference is when I exit cornors, punch out of the cornor was much more neutral instead of the rear got so much traction fishtail it straight and rocket out and now it's just so much smoother like a regular half round shape LINE.
On power straight was just as stable.

It might have been the spring or the tires, but I think it's more towards the tires on the exiting cornor behavier, tire wear probably due to excessive body roll.

I was going to try Yokomo 32mm Hard compound, but didnt have a chance.

Saw a guy running Serpent Impluse, oh my god, he was so FXXXing fast, He told me he was using Ellegi 26mm 40shore front and rear tires and his set up is front oneway and rear solid axle.
I might try a set of those Ellegi Tires.

By the way I am running 17/20, 43/47 gearing, seems like a pretty good combination, bottom end pretty strong , straight away pretty fast too. I am not sure if 21 is too high for Revelation???? I dont know!

Last edited by Ah10; 12-05-2001 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:34 AM   #760
Tech Regular

Thanks Ah10,

I did switch to 17/20 and hope that it works and I got some more yokomo 26/32mm, and I also bought Fast Tires 40 rears and 42 fronts which are the same as Ellegi's. I'm also running Front oneway and 50000 diff in the rear. My buddy has the Clutch diff in the rear. I will try that set up we'll be getting there early to set up our cars also.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:14 PM   #761
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Ah10,

I did switch to 17/20 and hope that it works and I got some more yokomo 26/32mm, and I also bought Fast Tires 40 rears and 42 fronts which are the same as Ellegi's. I'm also running Front oneway and 50000 diff in the rear. My buddy has the Clutch diff in the rear. I will try that set up we'll be getting there early to set up our cars also.
Just FYI, Found a LHS sells Ellegi 26mm 40sh tires, Front $13.99, rear $11.99.

Let me know if it is cheap or expensive or just average!
Old 12-05-2001, 01:02 PM   #762
Tech Regular

That price is average for Ellegi's
Old 12-05-2001, 01:32 PM   #763
Tech Master

Quote:
That price is average for Ellegi's
Thanks dude!
Old 12-05-2001, 04:40 PM   #764
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default IT's here It's HERE!!!!!!!

MY car arrive today!!!! I have to say DAMN!!!! he gave me bunch 'o' stuff... I'm gonna tear down and rebuild it... to get familiar with the car, then hopefully the weather will clear up and I can try it out...

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:37 PM   #765
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T
Default New Mugen Hop up

Titanium Parts for MTX-2. Also, they state they you save a few grams in weight using these.

Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote