R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2001, 07:43 PM   #436
Tech Master

dont think the top deck u saw is the one in the pic....a plastic top deck shldnt cost 60USD, most likely the one u saw is their graphite top deck.
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 07:48 PM   #437
Tech Master

i believe he meant the NEGATIVE DIFF.

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

as far as i know kawahara doesnt make a ball diff for MTX2 !! are you sure you have a ball diff?
Old 11-12-2001, 07:54 PM   #438
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by hurhur
i believe he meant the NEGATIVE DIFF.

well, he should be concious on the difference between gears and balls when he assembled the diff.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:07 PM   #439
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan

Sorry, I was confused too since I saw it in my HS listed as 'Torque Sensing Ball Differential' - I guess that was an err on their part. Here is a picture of the diff I've been talking about.

The 'gear side' of the diffs essentially looks just like the stock rear diff on the car. I packed it with the Mugen #30,000 that came with the kit. On the other side there are two black pieces that look very similar to the shoes we have in the Centax clutch, in a "C" shape. Supposedly, it works just like the stock rear-diff, then when it hits a certain RPM, it locks up and works like a solid-rear. I can't easily make out Kawahara's directions, as they are in Japanese, and I'm still unsure of how/if it can be tuned. There are two small holes on the outside of the 'shoe' housing - but they don't appear to be threaded so I don't know if they are for stop-screws (which weren't included in the kit anyways). Wondering if anyone is more familiar with this device.

Oh, as for the Kawahara upper deck - I could've sworn it looked exactly like the one in the picture - didn't know they made two models. It was at Castle Hobbies in San Jose California.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1720.jpg (8.5 KB, 68 views)
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:10 PM   #440
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
Sorry, I was confused too since I saw it in my HS listed as 'Torque Sensing Ball Differential' - I guess that was an err on their part. Here is a picture of the diff I've been talking about.

The 'gear side' of the diffs essentially looks just like the stock rear diff on the car. I packed it with the Mugen #30,000 that came with the kit. On the other side there are two black pieces that look very similar to the shoes we have in the Centax clutch, in a "C" shape. Supposedly, it works just like the stock rear-diff, then when it hits a certain RPM, it locks up and works like a solid-rear. I can't easily make out Kawahara's directions, as they are in Japanese, and I'm still unsure of how/if it can be tuned. There are two small holes on the outside of the 'shoe' housing - but they don't appear to be threaded so I don't know if they are for stop-screws (which weren't included in the kit anyways). Wondering if anyone is more familiar with this device.

Oh, as for the Kawahara upper deck - I could've sworn it looked exactly like the one in the picture - didn't know they made two models. It was at Castle Hobbies in San Jose California.
you should not use thick diff oil for the diff as this will remove rear traction on low speed and your cornering wont be smooth. the diff will progressively lock up when you accelerate your car. I just put some kind of gear protection lube in it and it just do the job.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:13 PM   #441
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan

Hey Manticore,

So are you using this diff too? You reccommend either a thinner oil or just some gear lube then right? Thanks, I will look in to that.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:15 PM   #442
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
Hey Manticore,

So are you using this diff too? You reccommend either a thinner oil or just some gear lube then right? Thanks, I will look in to that.
besides, dont use the thick nylon washer that comes with the kawahara diff as it is too thick. use the stock gear diff metal thin washer and that will perfectly do the job.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:21 PM   #443
Tech Master

im still confused how this Kawahara thingy works.
so under full throttle, down the straights, the clutch will be engaged and the diff behaves like a solid axle?
when cornering, the clutch disengages and works like a normal diff?

so the only difference when comparing the negative diff and normal diff is only visible on the straights?

pls enlighten
Old 11-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #444
Tech Champion

Quote:
im still confused how this Kawahara thingy works.
so under full throttle, down the straights, the clutch will be engaged and the diff behaves like a solid axle?
when cornering, the clutch disengages and works like a normal diff?

so the only difference when comparing the negative diff and normal diff is only visible on the straights?

pls enlighten
yes
Old 11-12-2001, 08:47 PM   #445
Tech Master

any idea why 1/8 cars uses front one way with solid axle and not say one way with a normal gear diff?

i have seen Impulses with solid axle in front and a adjustable diff in the rear. Strange isnt?
Old 11-12-2001, 08:53 PM   #446
Tech Champion

Quote:
any idea why 1/8 cars uses front one way with solid axle and not say one way with a normal gear diff?

i have seen Impulses with solid axle in front and a adjustable diff in the rear. Strange isnt?
the 1/8 racer has way wider rear tire and the rear solid axle makes the car moves faster on corner and faster acceleration out of corner.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:59 PM   #447
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:

Im sure the original 1/8th cars ran diffs. Could be wrong
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 09:04 PM   #448
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi

Im sure the original 1/8th cars ran diffs. Could be wrong
yes it is when the time the 1/8 still running with RWD only to get maxi rear end traction. but those fast guy from ASSO 20 years ago use solid axle for their 1/8 RWD ASSO racers.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:20 PM   #449
Tech Adept

Quote:
... so the only difference when comparing the negative diff and normal diff is only visible on the straights?
Well to clarify a bit, it will engage under heavy acceleration not just straights.

I have an exploded view of it on my site, click on the MTX-2 link then on Downloads.

-Manbik
http://www.jasonjenkins.com
Manbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 09:23 PM   #450
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Manbik

Well to clarify a bit, it will engage under heavy acceleration not just straights.

I have an exploded view of it on my site, click on the MTX-2 link then on Downloads.

-Manbik
http://www.jasonjenkins.com
when you have heavy acceleration, it is on the straight. right?