R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-30-2001, 11:01 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by tekrsq
Fok!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

..............I don't think Manticore is Moon, but who knows. I've been wrong before, lol.

Mr. C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You sure you're talking to me this time? No wait nitrorcfan is standing behind me isn't he? LOL

.............I guess we'll never know.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 08-30-2001 at 11:17 PM.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:44 AM   #32
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yes, I am MOON!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:27 AM   #33
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Phycho:

That's what I thought. I don't think I'm gonna use em. The track I am on kinda requires brakes (well, at least for me) Maybe I'll try them next season....
kansasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:37 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
Yes, I am MOON!
Well, that settled that. LOL.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 10:31 AM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Uneke Send a message via Yahoo to Uneke
Hey guys, I have a race coming up where we have to run rubber tires. Do you guys have any suggestions. I'm leaning towards caps now.
Uneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:27 AM   #36
Tech Master

[Uneke

Will your track allow caps? I'd check that to be sure you're legal. I run Yokomo Sprint mediums all around when I run rubber tires. I use Yok firm or medium inserts up front and soft in the back. If you use soft in back, rubber cement them to the inside of the tire so they don't shift.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 05:34 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
Yes, I am MOON!
Aha I knew it. Your widdle furwy seal gave you away.

kansasracer I'll tell you about the solid rear axle after the weekend.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 05:36 PM   #38

psycho- yeah we allow caps. I know they tend to last a long time and can offer superior traction if the conditions are right.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:55 AM   #39
Tech Champion

I dont see any advantage for people who has foam tire on their TC raced against my MTX2 with rubber tires. Foam tire has good traction but the down side is that their cornering is a bit slower.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:49 AM   #40
Tech Master

Manticore

I run foams on my mtx2 and the difference between them and rubber is huge on a prepared surface. I can go so much hotter in to turns and jump on the throttle right at the apex. Foams are no good unless you are on a prepared surface, though. I find that I don't need to make any suspension changes when switching from rubber to foam tires, which is really cool. I just have to reduce the throttle exponential a bit because the foams give me much more steering. If other guys are racing with foams at your track, I'd say it's worth a try. Once you find the right combination, I think you will be happy with them.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:49 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
Manticore

I run foams on my mtx2 and the difference between them and rubber is huge on a prepared surface. I can go so much hotter in to turns and jump on the throttle right at the apex. Foams are no good unless you are on a prepared surface, though. I find that I don't need to make any suspension changes when switching from rubber to foam tires, which is really cool. I just have to reduce the throttle exponential a bit because the foams give me much more steering. If other guys are racing with foams at your track, I'd say it's worth a try. Once you find the right combination, I think you will be happy with them.
psycho

My statement is a proven statement on our track which is a wide and medium to high traction track....
Old 09-11-2001, 07:13 PM   #42
Tech Rookie

Default Loose rear end

I am having a little difficulty hooking up my rear tires on the MTX. I tend to spin out a lot on any type of medium to hard turn, especially with cold rubber tires.

I have tried a number of compounds, and now have a setup that works a little better - stock springs, camber front and back neg. 1 degree, front toe in 0, back toe in 1 degree. Ride height 4mm front and 5mm rear. Width 199mm.

I plan on increasing rear toe in to 2 degrees, and also increasing front camber by moving all the spacers to the front of the suspension hinge. I also plan on getting a Lola body, or at least an aftermarket spoiler, that should increase downforce.

No doubt some of this problem originates with my newness to nitro racing. Prior to this, I have been mostly into electric stock sedans. The MTX has a LOT more torque than I am used to, and I have to learn to ease up on the throttle when coming powering out of turns. To that end, I am using throttle exp. on my M8.

All of this is helping, but I have to also wonder (and this is my question for y'all): Would a front one-way be good for me? A long time ago an experienced racer advised me to learn how to drive without depending on the brake. My style has been to rarely use brake, even on tight tracks with lots of turns. I simply ease up on the throttle earlier than most and coast into a turn, perhaps using a little drag brake to slow me down.

Given my driving style, it SEEMS I would be a good candidate for front one-ways. I am a little hesitant as I have never used one. Is it true that a front one-way would give me more rear bite (iow, less chance of spinouts) when powering out of a curve? If so, I am SO there.

What do you all think? Since I am racing sportsman classes, foams are out for me for now. I want to learn how to better drive this thing, but any equipment/setup help would be greatly appreciated.
Leet TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 07:52 PM   #43
Tech Champion

looks like you have too little rear toe in. you have to have at lease 2.5' rear toe to get the right rear traction and to increase up to 3' if necessary.

the other means to increase rear traction is to use as long camber link and as parallel as to the lower arm as possible. this will make the rear camber has minimal change on corner to maintain maximum tire contact patch.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:30 PM   #44
Tech Master

Default Re: Loose rear end

Leet TC3

Start by taking Manticore's advice. I'd set the rear toe in at 3 degrees to start. I would also lay the rear shocks down all the way to the bottom most hole on the shock tower. This will give you a softer, more progressive shock action. If the rear still steps out, stand the front shocks up a notch at a time until you have even traction. You may want to try different inserts in the front and rear of the car as well. When I run rubber tires, I use Yokomo Sprint medium tires all around with medium or firm Yok inserts up front and soft Yok inserts in the rear. I find that the only change I have to make, generally, is to switch the fronts from medium to firm inserts. Occasionally, I will need to go down one spring rate up front to get a bit more traction if the car is pushing, but usually, the insert change is the only one I make. You might also try experimenting with some different weight shock oils to get a little less dampening. Less dampening = quicker reaction of weight transfer, so that can really help you if you are getting understeer or oversteer. I run 60 weight Trinity oil up front and 40 weight in the rear. This car frustrated the heck out of me until I figured out what changes made which effects on handling. I will tell you that once you get the car hooked up, you will love it! Mine is on rails and it's my favorite nitro car. You'll get it figured out. Oh, one more thing... I'll assume that you're running the car with a body and an appropriately sized rear wing.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:02 PM   #45

I have to chime in on the rear wing thing. I was in the middle of my second qualifier this past weekend when I took a bad role and lost the wing on my 300M body. My perfectly balanced and handling car turned into a dog and I could not get it around one turn on the track without spinniing. Body selection is very important and I suggest sticking to one body type if you have a hard time setting up suspensions. at least take that variable out of the equation.