R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #1801
Tech Regular

Default Re: springs

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
i know the mugen one's thanks some where there is a chart with all the manufactures springs in order
HPI has there's on their website. Serpents is on there's. Have them at home not here at work. Have info on the diff's in the Xray book I will post for you later tonight Mark.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:42 AM   #1802
Tech Rookie

Leadfoot, Thanks it was fun!! All racin should be like that. I used tread lock on my stock screw that came with the 2 speed and actually broke it off, same with the other two screws. I drilled from the inside of the clutch drum,countersunk the hole, put and nut a bolt of the correct size(don't remember what size) on. I do not have that problem anymore.
larry murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 03:09 PM   #1803
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Larry, Tracy

hi guys, good to see more Sugar Bowlers here
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 04:23 AM   #1804
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by larry murphy
I used tread lock on my stock screw that came with the 2 speed and actually broke it off, same with the other two screws. I drilled from the inside of the clutch drum,countersunk the hole, put and nut a bolt of the correct size(don't remember what size) on. I do not have that problem anymore.
Larry, screw probably broke off for the reason I mentioned earlier. The screw head hits the outter gear assemebly. I figure I better get this info as my day could be coming......... You know Murphy's law LOL What you are saying is that you have the countersunk screw in the clutch area and the nut against the gear?? Correct.
Great last name dude, John Murphy
Old 05-03-2002, 04:37 AM   #1805
Tech Regular

Default Re: set up

Quote:
the negative diff does not fit in the front does it??
Cartman: They guy here doing that has the Trinity Reflex, which I am told is a VR1 clone. On the MTX-2 it will not fit. Gears are different size Front is 36 tooth, rear is 48
Old 05-03-2002, 04:53 AM   #1806
Tech Regular

Default Re: Diff oils

Quote:
Ok its been asked before, in the UK we run Mugen super grease in the front and 5000 in the rear, at the last meeting i did (damp and low grip) iwas pushing at the front i see you all run looser diff's were on rubber tryes, so whats the trchnical bit on diff stiffnes then???????
i was thinking about going to a lighter front diff to allow more turning. Will this work and why??
Cartman:
I read through some of my data last night. On the Xray they mention the folowing:
You want the rear diff tight enough not to slip.
Run the rear diff tighter to promote better turn in and steering.
Front diff tighter promotes better inital steering, but unstability and oversteer.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:18 AM   #1807
Tech Apprentice

Stefan, Yea were all over the net!
Small world HUH!!!!!
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 05:18 AM   #1808
Tech Elite

Default Kawahara 2-speed

Larry, RC nitro,

I just received my Kawahara 2 speed yesterday and after reading your comments about the screws, I looked at that closely.
I have two questions:

1.) Have you guys ony used the one screw supplied with the clutch, or have you used all three possible holes?

2.) Larry, how the heck did you get this hole countersunk so close to the clutchbell? Special tool? My countersink would never fit in there.

I was just thinking of using 3 screws with thread lock instead of the one in the kit.

Let me know please.

Thx,

Stefan
Old 05-03-2002, 05:19 AM   #1809
Tech Elite

Default Tracy,

I wish you were ALL OVER THE TRACK instead...
Old 05-03-2002, 05:20 AM   #1810
Tech Elite

Default Tracy again

hey, I got an engine question for you.

Could you propably send me your phone number by e-mail so I could call you?

[email protected]

Thanks
Old 05-03-2002, 05:54 AM   #1811
Tech Addict

Default Re: Kawahara 2-speed

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Larry, RC nitro,

I just received my Kawahara 2 speed yesterday and after reading your comments about the screws, I looked at that closely.
I have two questions:

1.) Have you guys ony used the one screw supplied with the clutch, or have you used all three possible holes?

2.) Larry, how the heck did you get this hole countersunk so close to the clutchbell? Special tool? My countersink would never fit in there.

I was just thinking of using 3 screws with thread lock instead of the one in the kit.

Let me know please.

Thx,

Stefan

I just used the one hole with the supplied screw. I had to cut about 1mm off the end so that it would not rub the clutches inide. I just locktite the screw and placed the opening for the C -clip at the screw, and I haven't had any problems with it for 2 months. I keep check on it because it didn't seem very sturdy to me either and I was worried that my Richie RTU might rip it apart, but so far no problems.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:08 AM   #1812
Tech Rookie

tekrsq, that was my same concern. In one day I stripped out and broke all three screws in the clutch. That is why I now have a bolt and nut holding everything together. I am thinking about taking the snap ring off and doing the same thing to the other two holes. Don't think I will need that snap ring after that. Stefan, a drill and a dremel and you can do anything!!!! First I used a larger drill bit (about the size of the screw head). Then that handy little dremel. Used the grinding wheel that is long with a round tip, perfect for finishing the countersink. The wall we are drilling is very thick, (don't know the measurements) so there is enough material to do the countersink without weakening the clutch drum. There is enough space between the ends of the snap ring to put a nut and bolt on. If you want to use all three holes just remove the snap ring.
larry murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #1813
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber

could someone tell me the "standard" setting for the carb. on the MT12. (high and low, turns?) i lost my spec sheet in a recent move.

also.....i bought this car used from a guy that only ran it once and needed some money (great deal for me.) but i think the 2 speed was assembled wrong, because i can find the screw to adjust the clutch. i think the car is starting off in 2nd, cuz it is pretty sluggish off the line and it doesn't shift. im an electric guy so bear with me. i really want to learn as much as possible about this car, but i'm getting frustrated. thank you in advance for your help, that is if you can help.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #1814
Tech Initiate

Default STANDARD SETTING MT12

You can start 4 on high on 3 1/2 on low to start.
aftalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:29 AM   #1815
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber

thank you.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote