Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman
Default Translation

Aww thanks all
Old 04-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #1787
Tech Initiate

Default Translation

Mark,

It means Congratulations for your great performance on your nationals !!!

Drive on....
aftalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:05 PM   #1788
Tech Initiate

Default Differential and One-Way

My fellow MTX-2 owners,

Iím facing a big dilemma with my vehicle. Iím the proud owner (yes my track too has suffer the NTC3 invasion) of a Pro Spec MTX-2. I really donít like the outlaw category (thatís the one with the lola bodies and foam tires down here in Puerto Rico) so I race my car in the standard gas sedan category (touring body and rubber tires). I used to have the previous version MTX-2 version that had 2 differentials and the 30,000 and 5,000 oil combinations.

Since the Pro Spec comes with the one-way and I really want to use it like I do in my electric, Should I use the thinnest oil in the rear? Should I consider the one-way like super thin oil in the front and use 5,000 in the rear? Is that a fair assumption? Is the one-way the loosest diff I can have? Does using 30,000 oil in the back (I have seen 50,000 on some setup sheets) put me in some unfavorable position to setup with rubber tires?

I will appreciate any light on the subject. One of the reason I love this hobby is the scientific approach to it. I like the things to work right but really love to know why they work.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:55 AM   #1789
Tech Regular

Default Re: Differential and One-Way

Quote:
Originally posted by aftalavera
My fellow MTX-2 owners,
Since the Pro Spec comes with the one-way and I really want to use it like I do in my electric, Should I use the thinnest oil in the rear? Should I consider the one-way like super thin oil in the front and use 5,000 in the rear? Is that a fair assumption? Is the one-way the loosest diff I can have? Does using 30,000 oil in the back (I have seen 50,000 on some setup sheets) put me in some unfavorable position to setup with rubber tires?
Ok here is my take. What I have found is that everyone has there own preferance in how they like a car setup. You will notice 3 schools of setup, 1 where they like the rear loose (oversteer), 2 where they like a tight front (understeer) and 3 neutral setup. The two top drivers here are totaly different on their diff setups. One uses the thinist oil in the diff and the other uses the negitive diff in the front. Both drive the reflex. With a 1 way you need to be soft on the brakes or the back will visit the front . The 1 way basically has 0 weight as the bearing will unload & load as needed. No lost force like a gear diff that does not unload all the way. A tighter rear diff will give better turn in. This is my personal preferance. Try testing and make big jumps to see the effect. ie 10K, 30K, or 50K and see what you think. As 30K came with the kit, all you would need is a bottle of 50K & 10K. Then you can fine tune from there. Personally I would say 30K or 50K.

Quote:
I will appreciate any light on the subject. One of the reason I love this hobby is the scientific approach to it. I like the things to work right but really love to know why they work.

Thanks.
As I am a mechanical engineer I always want to know why and love complexity I thrive on the challange.

Good Luck!
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 05:40 AM   #1790
Tech Fanatic

Default set up

the negative diff does not fit in the front does it??
In the uk on rubber tyres we run the diff at the front with super grease and the rear with 5000
Old 05-01-2002, 05:43 AM   #1791
Tech Initiate

RC Nitro:

Thanks for answering,

The scenario that you describe, its that with rubber tires?

Im glad to find a fellow scientist in the hobby....
Old 05-02-2002, 03:45 AM   #1792
Tech Fanatic

Default Kawahara two spped

I have not got one yet but have spoke to poeple who say the screw comes out that holds the gear on??
Any more info??
Old 05-02-2002, 05:02 AM   #1793
Tech Regular

Mark
I have not had a problem with mine. I have had the Kawahara 2 speed for 2 months now without a hitch. The screw I think you are refering to is the one that holds 2nd gear to the housing. This is a pan head screw, should be countersunk IMO. This gives a slight rub initally, but once that happens there is no more problems. I check mine after every race weekend and lube the one way with serpent 1 way lube.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:57 AM   #1794
Tech Rookie

I stripped out THREE screws on my 2 speed. I have drilled THREE new holes and use a nut and bolt to hold everything together. This baby wouldn't slip any more!!
larry murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #1795
Tech Apprentice

Larry, Great race Sunday!!!!
And you throught you could hide on this conference LOLOLOLOL!!!
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 08:52 AM   #1796
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Nitro
Mark
I have not had a problem with mine. I have had the Kawahara 2 speed for 2 months now without a hitch. The screw I think you are refering to is the one that holds 2nd gear to the housing. This is a pan head screw, should be countersunk IMO. This gives a slight rub initally, but once that happens there is no more problems. I check mine after every race weekend and lube the one way with serpent 1 way lube.
can the circlip be made to stop the srcew coming out?? and do you use thread lock etc?? @ m8 has pegged his as the stock item.

Last edited by Cartman; 05-02-2002 at 08:56 AM.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:09 AM   #1797
Tech Fanatic

Diff oils

Ok its been asked before, in the UK we run Mugen super grease in the front and 5000 in the rear, at the last meeting i did (damp and low grip) iwas pushing at the front i see you all run looser diff's were on rubber tryes, so whats the trchnical bit on diff stiffnes then???????
i was thinking about going to a lighter front diff to allow more turning.
Will this work and why??
Thaks all

PS any one got a link to the site that has all the spring rates in one chart??
Old 05-02-2002, 09:32 AM   #1798
Tech Apprentice

MUGEN SPRING RATES
1.7 LIGHT BLUE
1.8 GRAY
1.9WHITE
2.0 RED
THERE A PINK ALSO BUT I THINK IT'S A 2.0 AS WELL.
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 09:36 AM   #1799
Tech Fanatic

Default springs

i know the mugen one's thanks some where there is a chart with all the manufactures springs in order
Old 05-02-2002, 09:49 AM   #1800
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman

can the circlip be made to stop the srcew coming out?? and do you use thread lock etc?? @ m8 has pegged his as the stock item.
I used loctite on mine with out a hitch. Remember this is aluminum so do not tighten to much or you will strip the threads. I did that on my other car