R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2002, 03:50 AM   #1516
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hey Dennis, I would really love to see a pic of your "prototype" MTX-2.

I'm still holding on to mine even though almost everybody I know switched to that darn AE NTC3. I still think the MTX-2 can hang with the latest and greatest(even that dang NTC3!).

One area of the car I think could use some changes is the radio tray layout, which is why I purchased Kawahara's new and improved CF radio tray. I still haven't installed it yet so I can't say that it helped or not.

Oh well, can we see some pics? Pluuuhheeeezze!!!!!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:05 AM   #1517
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10

The instruction said screw it in all the way untill it wouldnt go any further then back it out by 3 1/2 turns. I use this as initial setting and I run my car at Crystal Park Raceway, pretty good size track, with 200' straight. but I ended up with 4 turns out!
Thanks, but which set of screws?? The spring loaded ones? I ran these all the way down and the set screw on the ball I ran down till contact and backed off ~ 1/4 turn. The track here has a short straight ~ 150'. The school lot me and a friend use is 225'

I got a tip from my LHS, paint the screws a different color so when you adjust them you do not turn te wrong one. Like that logic as I have done this on my finger clutch on the super.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:44 AM   #1518
Tech Regular

here is a copy of the clutch screws. I am assuming you adjust the ones at the edges??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawahara closeup.jpg (80.9 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #1519
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Nitro

Thanks, but which set of screws?? The spring loaded ones? I ran these all the way down and the set screw on the ball I ran down till contact and backed off ~ 1/4 turn. The track here has a short straight ~ 150'. The school lot me and a friend use is 225'

I got a tip from my LHS, paint the screws a different color so when you adjust them you do not turn te wrong one. Like that logic as I have done this on my finger clutch on the super.
Oh I am sorry! the spring loaded screws which is one on each side, screw it in all the way then back out by 3 1/2 turns.
Now on the set screws, you need to screw it in the same amount as on the other side until it locks up with the 2nd speed housing then back it up by 1/4 turn or so. These set screws set the distance between the clutch shoe and the housing so you want the shoes to stay as close to the housing as possible and yet not locking it up!

Oh one more thing, you might need to adjust the set screw once a while when you shoe clutch wear down! just remember you want to clutch shoe as close to the housing as possible but not binding or locking it!

Let me know if you need help!

Last edited by Ah10; 03-25-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:39 AM   #1520
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks!! I will do this tonight
Old 03-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #1521
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to ketchup_gsr

Quote:
your engine is to cold get it up around 245. and at crystal you will need some tall pinions or you will get smoked on the top end there.
isn't 245 too hot. People have told me to keep it under 215, or so about. thanks.

BTW what gear ratios do you all use at Crystal Park?
ketchup_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:17 PM   #1522
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nova Racer thank you for your input about droop. Did some testing yesterday and the car was pretty nice. I used a set up off the Mugen Seiki site. The car was very planted in a straight line and had a slight push with Sorex 36R's in cool weather! I'd like to see some warm or hot weather with some Yokomo foams. My droop in the rear was way different from the web site and just slightly off in the front. Although for the car to push with the same rubber tires front and rear (one-way and rear gear diff) then track the way it did I was very happy. Just a little more R&D and the car will be very straight and more balanced (frt to rear). I think it pushed because of shock position. Frt was the lowest hole and the rear was one up from the lowest hole.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:36 PM   #1523
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by ketchup_gsr

isn't 245 too hot. People have told me to keep it under 215, or so about. thanks.

BTW what gear ratios do you all use at Crystal Park?

245 is ok, in fact, in Paris Site it had mentioned Novarossi base engine optimal operating temp on .12 engine is around 260. So if you keep your engine in the 245 range then it is good!

I run my car at Crystal Park too and I keep it in the 245 to 250 range(oh I am currently running RBX12T 5ports).

I am running 18/22 with 42/47. Yes you do need taller gearing at Crystal Park.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #1524
Tech Elite

260! Wow.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM   #1525
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

260 is not uncommon
Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM   #1526
Tech Elite

Cool. I always thought that was too hot.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:40 PM   #1527
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SioKoy Send a message via Yahoo to SioKoy

Ah10,

hey where did you get those kinds of gearing? I mean the 22 pinion and the 42T spur? Its not available in mugen right? Are you using the JT delrin spur gears and JT Pinions?

I am having troubles using those gearings... it is easily worn out and buying those option parts are so freaking expensive. Anyways I'm also using the RB Outlaw as what we call here in Manila the 5port Engine of RB and I'm also using a JP engine because we have a large hi-speed track here in manila.

I hope you can give me a feedback on who made those gearings that you are using... thanks dude!
SioKoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:53 PM   #1528
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SioKoy Send a message via Yahoo to SioKoy

ketsup_gsr,

Braking is not necessary to the MTX-2 prospec because of the front one way. Try buying the kawahara negative diff for your rear differential it will help you a lot.... and lessen the tension on your brakes... I guess you dont need a lot of braking for a hi-speed track.

Regarding your engine its a very powerful engine compared to other novarossi stock engines and the OS ones You dont need to lean out your engine so much you just need to look for the proper gearing of your car and compute the internal drive ratio and you can get the exact gearing for that respective track.
SioKoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 08:26 PM   #1529
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by SioKoy
Ah10,

hey where did you get those kinds of gearing? I mean the 22 pinion and the 42T spur? Its not available in mugen right? Are you using the JT delrin spur gears and JT Pinions?

I am having troubles using those gearings... it is easily worn out and buying those option parts are so freaking expensive. Anyways I'm also using the RB Outlaw as what we call here in Manila the 5port Engine of RB and I'm also using a JP engine because we have a large hi-speed track here in manila.

I hope you can give me a feedback on who made those gearings that you are using... thanks dude!

I know powerline makes a 42 spur and mugen makes the 22 pinion.
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 08:32 PM   #1530
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SioKoy
Ah10,

On the 22T pinion, I am using Racing Jack Harden pinion, they are tough and it doesnt show any wear on it! Mugen does make 22T 2nd gear pinion for Sting, part number H0717.

on the Spur side I am using Racing Jack Derlin spur too! it is white and suposingly much more durable!