R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-22-2002, 10:10 AM   #1501
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Use O-rings inside the out drivers to stop the dog bones falling out.

One way of checking whether there is enough clearance is to fully compress the suspension and while it is compressed, check that there is a slight longitudinal play in the dogbone.
Do you use one on each out drive or more???
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:34 AM   #1502
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Doesn't matter....just do the compressed suspension check afterwards to make sure it doesn't bind the dogbone!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 02:28 PM   #1503
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TheBarber

what tires do you recommend starting with for my mtx2. like i said in the past im new to nitro racing, and i notice that i can only mount 24mm rims on my car. is there something else i need to do to mount up 28s or bigger? do other foam tires come in different offsets so they don't rub on the hub carriers.

thank you in advance.
TheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #1504
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Doesn't matter....just do the compressed suspension check afterwards to make sure it doesn't bind the dogbone!!
I put 1 o-ring on both sides and it work like a charm. Thanks a lot.
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 10:18 PM   #1505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Droop

Less droop is more grip or less grip? Maybe the other way around? Which one?
Old 03-22-2002, 11:44 PM   #1506
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBarber
what tires do you recommend starting with for my mtx2. like i said in the past im new to nitro racing, and i notice that i can only mount 24mm rims on my car. is there something else i need to do to mount up 28s or bigger? do other foam tires come in different offsets so they don't rub on the hub carriers.

thank you in advance.
I run 26mm tires in the front and 32mm yokomos in the rear. So yes you do have some options. Also Proline makes some Nice 28mm rear tires.
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:37 AM   #1507
Tech Regular

Default Re: Droop

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac
Less droop is more grip or less grip? Maybe the other way around? Which one?
less droop less grip in the rear lmore droop in the rear more grip in the front. well thats how it works in real life. but you have it wright on paper.
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:07 PM   #1508
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBarber

thank you in advance.
I run Ellegi 26mm 40/42 shore front and Yokomo 32mm 45 shore rear, no rub! and handles good too!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:52 PM   #1509
Tech Regular

Hi guys, first post here so bear with me as I sort this out. Just read all 50 pages......... Great info here.

Vin dollar: try Pico out drive spacers they worked on my Vector and I now have them on the MTX and they fit fine. Still building the car so I have not tried them yet. They sit on the out drive and space the outdrive out ~ 1/4".

Question on the Kawahara 2 speed. any one adjusted this? Inst are not translated and I am not sure where to start?

Manticore, remind these young ones that old age and wisdom beats youth and vitality any day Your not the oldest now

sydewynder: hi, chatted with you a few back on the HPI site when you were running the super.

Ah10 thanks for posting the setup info. Nice to see what others are running.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:57 PM   #1510
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Nitro
Question on the Kawahara 2 speed. any one adjusted this? Inst are not translated and I am not sure where to start?
The instruction said screw it in all the way untill it wouldnt go any further then back it out by 3 1/2 turns. I use this as initial setting and I run my car at Crystal Park Raceway, pretty good size track, with 200' straight. but I ended up with 4 turns out!
Old 03-24-2002, 06:58 PM   #1511
Tech Master

Quote:

You are very welcome! Just want to share some info with other MTX2er since this forum is a very frendly forum!
Old 03-24-2002, 08:18 PM   #1512
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to ketchup_gsr
Default runing problems

hi all,
i've had my mugen mtx prospec for a while and i love it. I have problems tuning it though, i guess due to lack of experience. First of all, with the MT 12 engine, people say that my car should go pretty fast, but to the contrary, it's pretty sluggish. I've broken it in, and leaned it out. I was happy at the speed i was running at, at first, but then at the track, i've noticed that was holding people back! I've leaned it out to as much as i would want (215F). What gear ratios you all use? 1st gear is really show and 2nd, when it engages, isn't as fast as a lot of other people.
My next problem is that i fishtail during all the turns, though I admit it's experience, I've had other people drive my car too. They say it's the setup. Any hints here? Oh, I fishtail like mad when I brake. And this is when my car's pointed straight!
Last problem... after I fishtail, and floor it, my car is very sluggish to start back up. What could be causing this? It generally doens't happen when I accelerate from stop?
And the track conditions are pretty good when I race (at crystal park).

Thanks a lot.
ketchup_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 09:33 PM   #1513
Tech Master

Default Re: runing problems

Quote:
Originally posted by ketchup_gsr
hi all,
i've had my mugen mtx prospec for a while and i love it. I have problems tuning it though, i guess due to lack of experience. First of all, with the MT 12 engine, people say that my car should go pretty fast, but to the contrary, it's pretty sluggish. I've broken it in, and leaned it out. I was happy at the speed i was running at, at first, but then at the track, i've noticed that was holding people back! I've leaned it out to as much as i would want (215F). What gear ratios you all use? 1st gear is really show and 2nd, when it engages, isn't as fast as a lot of other people.
My next problem is that i fishtail during all the turns, though I admit it's experience, I've had other people drive my car too. They say it's the setup. Any hints here? Oh, I fishtail like mad when I brake. And this is when my car's pointed straight!
Last problem... after I fishtail, and floor it, my car is very sluggish to start back up. What could be causing this? It generally doens't happen when I accelerate from stop?
And the track conditions are pretty good when I race (at crystal park).

Thanks a lot.
I think it's a combination of a few things, first engine tuning, second your centex clutch, 3rd, your second speed engaging timing. And most importantly your set up! What kind of compound are you using? spring rate? shock oil? shock position? shock piston?
I will be going to Crystal Park next Saturday in fact I go to Crystal Park every saturday! I will be more then happy to help you out! PM me!

Last edited by Ah10; 03-24-2002 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:01 PM   #1514
Tech Champion

Quote:
Hi guys, first post here so bear with me as I sort this out. Just read all 50 pages......... Great info here.

Vin dollar: try Pico out drive spacers they worked on my Vector and I now have them on the MTX and they fit fine. Still building the car so I have not tried them yet. They sit on the out drive and space the outdrive out ~ 1/4".

Manticore, remind these young ones that old age and wisdom beats youth and vitality any day Your not the oldest now

sydewynder: hi, chatted with you a few back on the HPI site when you were running the super.

Welcome aboard!!

Glad to see elder people joining here. this certainly makes me feel younger now !! LOL

Agree, our wisdom does beat the youth !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 11:18 PM   #1515
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

vin
I run 197 on the front. screw the bottom pivot balls in all the way and use the top to set the camber. Your bones will quit falling out and you will get some more steering. 2 MM makes a big difference on front steering. I learned this on my Impact.

I drove my prototype mugen (my creation, no mugen does not have a new car) today for the first time and it looks real good. have to see how it stacks up to this TC3 thing I bought.

The mugen is radically altered, Theres not much mugen anymore except a few plastic pieces. Its kawahara,serpent,xray and mugen with a whole lot of dennis carbon fiber.

ketchup
your engine is to cold get it up around 245. and at crystal you will need some tall pinions or you will get smoked on the top end there.

Last edited by Motorman; 03-24-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote