Old 10-09-2001, 02:10 AM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
Nice drawing LMAO !! excuse...

Hamm hamm..

Glad that you can still get a 3rd with one eye. I wonder what if you dont have "super glue" problem at all.

the principle of droop is all about weight transfer. In real car. when you step on throttle out of a corner really hard. you can feel that the front of the car lift and therefore the front end traction reduce due to weight transfer to the rear.

Usually it is not necessary to adjust rear droop as you need to get maxi traction for the rear end. What I can see that you have good enough front droop which has already limited weight transfer to the rear end. I think you should make your rear shock upright a little bit (make suspension stiffer) to further limit weight transfer to the rear end and this should improve on power steering.

Cheers.

Anthony
That makes perfect sense, thanks Anthony.
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 02:12 AM   #137
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi

That makes perfect sense, thanks Anthony.
no problemo !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:01 AM   #138
Tech Elite

Ok sorry Novarossi for the late reply. Checked this thread all night and didn't see any activity then all of a sudden a zillions posts.

From you're ahem picture and your description you have maximum front droop but you say you have very little droop. Are the setscrews in the bulkhead or lever arms not sticking out. The ones in the bulkheads limit droop.

I agree with Moon on reducing the weight transfer to the rear on acceleration.
I would put the shocks in the middle hole and try that. Then you can try a stiffer rear spring (gray?) Note though this will cause more oversteer on braking.

Update on the oneway and solid rear you asked about. I switched back to a 50,000 rear diff and and now noticed I lost on power steering until the engine broke the rear wheels loose. I will work on suspension set-up some.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 03:03 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Moon Or anyone using a front oneway. Do you find the front hex in the wheels rounding out when using the oneway? Didn't see this on the gear diff setup.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:09 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Set screws in the level arms come out from the bottom about 2mm

Set screws in bulkhead don't come out at all.

Preload on the front springs don't allow for much slop, when chassis is raised, the front wheels will remain on the ground for a few millimeters before they begin the raise

Thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 03:21 AM   #141
Tech Elite

BTW Someone explain what the effect will be if the grub screws in the level arm, bulk head and rear arm will do anyway.

Also, we somehow got hold of the teflon brake pads here in Aust (must be left overs from world champs). Any one using these, I heard these are a must for the Pro, as they do not lock the brakes up.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 03:54 AM   #142
Tech Elite

That means you have droop. Do you have access to gauge block and a droop gauge like the hudy ones? This is the best way to measure and adjust the droop.

My understanding is if you have too much front droop you allow the front to rise too much and the CG goes up -----> transfering more weight to the back. You end up losing front traction because the less weight is pushing down on the front wheels.

What is the front ride height compare to the rear. Have the front a little lower than the rear.

Look here

Read the end of the paragraph after the the picture in 4.2. Even though he initially said weight transfer is not affected by the pitch on the car, he finishes with having more weigh transfer when the car has a lot of negative suspension (droop).

Also look here at section 2.6 suspension travel. This explains it better.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 10-09-2001 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:08 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydewynder

My understanding is if you have too much front droop you allow the front to rise too much and the CG goes up -----> transfering more weight to the back. You end up losing front traction because the less weight is pushing down on the front wheels.
I thought the rear droop would effect how the front wheels react (ie rise or pushed down)???
Old 10-09-2001, 04:28 AM   #144
Tech Elite

What do u guys all think of the Yokomo MMielke Pipe?

Old 10-09-2001, 04:32 AM   #145
Tech Elite

Check out the site I listed. Here's a quote from section 2.6 (the second link)

Quote:
An end with a lot of downtravel will be able to rise a lot, so chassis pitch will be more pronounced, which in turn will provide more weight transfer. For example: if the front end has a lot of downtravel, it will rise a lot during hard acceleration, transferring a lot of weight onto the rear axle. So the car will have very little on-power steering, but a lot of rear traction.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:34 AM   #146
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi
What do u guys all think of the Yokomo MMielke Pipe?

A lot of the Yokomo people like it. I haven't seen it run so I can't really say.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:46 AM   #147
Tech Elite

Quote:
Check out the site I listed. Here's a quote from section 2.6 (the second link)

So W Fok, Concentrating on just droop only (don't worry about shock settings for now), is my setting above ok? I want more on-power steering. If not, what needs to be adjusted?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 04:56 AM   #148
Tech Elite

I would set the droop stops per one of the setting sheets and move the rear upper shock mount so they're more vertical then go from there.

here's another quote from the site on shock position in section 2.6

Quote:
If the rears are close to vertical ,and the fronts are more laid down, t he car won't have a lot of turn-in, but it will have more steering in the middle of the turn; it will 'square'. In some cases, the rear might actually begin to slide.
BTW don't just read what I quoted The site has very good info.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:04 AM   #149
Tech Elite

Quote:
I would set the droop stops per one of the setting sheets and move the rear upper shock mount so they're more vertical then go from there.

here's another quote from the site on shock position in section 2.6

BTW don't just read what I quoted The site has very good info.
Will read it later W Fok, I promise
Old 10-09-2001, 05:11 AM   #150
Tech Elite

One more thing before I go. You're running foams right. The rear ones aren't smaller in diameter than the front ones are they?