R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   clutch setting (end play) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/165830-clutch-setting-end-play.html)

gansei 05-31-2007 08:56 AM

clutch setting (end play)

end play have influence on car activity.

is it true or false ?

i want to hear your opinion.

Tire Chunker 05-31-2007 10:23 AM

I was told by my local expert that to much endplay( not clutch clearance) is hard on the thrust bearings. I set mine at .1mm check this with a shim or feeler gauge.

razzor 05-31-2007 10:33 AM

yes too much clearance can cause thrust bearing failure.
Shim till clutch bell doesnt spin free then remove one .1 shim to free it up.

rmdhawaii 05-31-2007 12:05 PM

What you set your end play to is really dependent on the clutch design. On the RRR, the recommendation is 0.1mm. On the MTX-4, 0.3mm to prevent the engine from overheating. As stated above, if the gap is too large, it may cause thrust bearing failure because it engages too hard.

razzor 05-31-2007 12:17 PM

.3mm on the Mugens :eek: Why and how does it effect engine temps ???

avs 05-31-2007 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by razzor

i think the .3 is referring to a tight gap setting rather than a loose endplay setting. it seems the tendency these days is towards a stiffer spring, lighter flyweights and smaller endgaps.

so as the gap is reduced, the maximum endplay must also be reduced otherwise there is rubbing when the clutch bell wobbles

razzor 05-31-2007 01:50 PM

That i can understand but i am sure rmd meant endplay .3mm.
Like to know why.

brianhatesnitro 05-31-2007 01:52 PM

Good thing you guys posted this before I started blowing out thrust bearings.

I originally setup my 2D clutch with 0.1mm of end gap but ended up going to 0.2mm because it felt like the gap was missing after 3-4 minutes of driving and caused clutch to engage too early and also resulted in the proper amount of rip out of the corner.

Koke 05-31-2007 02:24 PM

Hi, sorry for my question I am Spanish and it is the first time that I see "end play", what it is??
Thank you

asw7576 05-31-2007 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Koke
Hi, sorry for my question I am Spanish and it is the first time that I see "end play", what it is??
Thank you

The fore and aft movement on clutch bell.

rcabj 05-31-2007 08:21 PM

sometimes i still get confused with all this RC terms :blush: :lol: :lol:

anyway regarding clutch setting there r 2 things thats usually comes in mind :
clutch gap , end play ? right? :rolleyes: and how tight u set your clutch spring ;)

anyway how do u guys set your cluth gap and end play...?

for me (i follow the RRR manual) only set the clutch gap by adding shims outside the thrust bearings (usually i choose 0.3-0.5 gap). then its finished , i was wonderin where is my end play? :confused: ....( coz no shimmings required between the internal clutch bell bearing and clucth nut)...

Tire Chunker 05-31-2007 08:46 PM

I run a Mugen so I am not sure for your clutch, for my clutches I remove the inside clutchbell bearing when setting clutch clearance. I have set my clutch clearance and forgot to take the bearing out and my clutch no endplay and was tight as a ..............

asw7576 06-01-2007 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by rcabj
sometimes i still get confused with all this RC terms :blush: :lol: :lol:

anyway regarding clutch setting there r 2 things thats usually comes in mind :
clutch gap , end play ? right? :rolleyes: and how tight u set your clutch spring ;)

anyway how do u guys set your cluth gap and end play...?

for me (i follow the RRR manual) only set the clutch gap by adding shims outside the thrust bearings (usually i choose 0.3-0.5 gap). then its finished , i was wonderin where is my end play? :confused: ....( coz no shimmings required between the internal clutch bell bearing and clucth nut)...

Correct me if I'm wrong :

Clutch gap : the gap distance between clutch shoe and cluth bell. Ideally both surfaces don't rub each other ( free spin ). You can set the distance by adding 5x10 shims before the centax bearing ( the 1st bearing inside clutch bell ). Usually 0.5mm gap surface for Mugen cars and 0.2mm gap surface for G4S.

End Play : is the fore and aft movement on the clutch bell. I don't know how much end play is satisfactory numbers. In my car, I set the end play about 0.8mm feel.

Spring Tension : Adjust spring tension by turning the locknut, or using thicker spring. The harder the spring tension, the harder the punch will be. Why ? The engine will rev higher first before the centax clutch enganged. Harder punch is good for high traction and vice versa. Normally people will settle with harder spring ( super hard ) for better acceleration feel.

Clutch Weights : Almost similar to spring tension. Lighter clutch weights ( by centrifrugal force ) will push the clutch shoe ( engange the clutch ) at higher rev, and vice versa. The main difference between light vs heavy clutch weights are the linear vs abrupt punch. Light weight clutch will induce abrupt or snappy feeling, while heavy weight clutch is more linear feeling.

rmdhawaii 06-01-2007 02:38 AM

Read this please:

http://www.nitrokb.com/pdf/clutch01.pdf

Thank you

rmdhawaii 06-01-2007 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by razzor

Best thing to do is ask Francis M, as he is the one that gave me the advice. He has a lot more track time with the MTX-4 than I do, so as far as I'm concerned, it's good info.

Originally Posted by Francis M
Try this setting. 9.3mm from the top of the sg shaft to the clutch nut. use the thinner thrust bearing and if the bell is still catching try using the thicker end. I know for a fact that using too many shims make for inconsistent spacing instead of one thrust washer due to so many thin washers being squished together. I would also try running at least .3 mm end play just because your .1 mm end play settings will cause a lot of heat and affect the life of the clutch bearings.