R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
Tech Regular

i support a shop if i like the way they conduct business,hate hobbytown think if your gonna sell something you gotta know a little bout it,usually hobbytown is a joke.get mail order if savings are significant,or need a must have part to catch a race and the lhs doesnt have it in stock.man i saw some guy say he always gets ripped off and bashed his lhs,lucky he dont know me,id prolly rip him off just cause he such a tool.
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

i'll say it again, buy where your pockets can afford, most lhs care only about the $$$$, those who are always asking to support them dont care either, most likely they are hobby shop owners, have enought money to waste or are just butt kissers, im not angry, just disapointed with my lhs for all the things that i have seen, specially to the new guys, what im trying to say is that if you want to support your lhs attend the races, dont throw them money and accept their prices just because the are locals, they need to keep their bussiness running and thats the reality behind the lame excuses like "we are the embassadors of the hobby", instead of you supporting them ask them to support you by selling what you need and at competitive prices.
oderem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Being a businessman and helping two of my LHSs get started, it is amazing to read the posts bashing said stores when it comes to pricing. The first rule of business is that you have to make a profit. It seems like many of you want the stores to just give stuff away to you. What is the use of being in business if you are not making some kind of profit! Like I have seen in some other posts, the owner of the lhs has to pay rent/lease, electricity for the lights, buy products and parts to stock the store, pay employees' salaries, buy insurance to cover the store for fire/theft/personal injury, provide health insurance for full-time employees (some do provide that), and pay for advertising, accountants, lawyers, taxes, etc. All of this and he/she still has to make enough to pay their personal financial responsibilities as well. Most of these owners have mortgaged much of their lives away just to open the store (using their homes, cars, retirement accts, co-signers, etc). Like many, I may not like the pricing in some stores or some products in their stores, but I do understand that if they don't make a certain margin, they don't stay in business. If you want to make all of your purchases online to say money, that is your right. However, don't bash the person that decided to open a shop locally so that you don't have to wait days or weeks for what you need.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
Here is the problem as I see it, especially here in America. Finding a place to run an on-road car is difficult. There needs to be/should be at least one permanent on-road track in every major metro area in this country. Heck, look at all the skate/bike parks. How did they get built? The local community (skate shops, skaters, civic leaders, etc) got together and had them built.
Taken from the first post on this thread, It isn't about just supporting the LHS, its about having a place to race. Its hard for shop owners to have and maintain a track. An onroad track is a large expense for anybody. Here in Florida, we have 4 large outdoor nitro tracks, and none of them are ran by hobby shops. They are all private. One of the newest were done with county money in a county park. I don't know the logistics on it, but it was a joint partnership between the county and an R/C club.

As I see it, if you take an put a tennis court in a park, the expense for this is for 2 or 4 people at a time, an when I drive by the parks here in Hernando County Florida, I see ball parks, One park alone has 11 ball fields, and 8 tennis courts. I can understand the ball fields, they are even well lit and maintained and used by many people. The tennis courts...I don't get it, they don't hardly ever have anybody on them, but the county spends money building, fencing, lighting and maintaining them.

In Punta Gorda, the Charlotte R/C Racers Club showed the county that there was an intrest in On-road racing. With the assistance of the county, and intrest of the club, they now have a track that is in a park. It took a showing of a group of racers getting together every weekend to show the intrest was there.

Where is this heading?: you can get counties to work with people to build tracks, but you have to have a need/intrest from the comunity. One person cannot have a track built, but if you have a group that meets on a regular basis.....that becomes a different story.

Last edited by rcfoolz; 06-02-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: hit wrong key before I was done
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Do you get easy pay from your LHS ?? Pay next month or pay in three installments ?

I do
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Its really nice to have a lhs... I use to have one in the area where I lived and the owner was really helpful. However I moved to the middle of no where and now every lhs is 100 miles away from. I have to buy from ebay and the internet because I cant afford the time and gas to travel around
kmaheartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:38 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JLock said it right, there is no meaning to running a business like a social service center. We go into business for the money,that's cold hard fact BUT there is a difference in making the dough alone and making the dough AND giving something back.

I have been hanging around a few LHS around my area and all of them are nice to you cause you are the paymaster and I have nothing againts that. You reserve the choice of patronising a LHS , you make the decision.

For me, to set apart a LHS from the rest is service Most shops merely concerntrates at closing sales. I have experienced many of those and not only in RC. I will hang around longer a joint that has good service. A joint that is willing to "give back" to the consumers.

For an example, I hang around my current LHS cause I learn from them a lot, learning the tech stuff of RC,all the required how to's and they are not stingy at sharing their knowledge too Like Nitro$junkie said it, I am like a fly hanging around them and the sad part to that is people who 'envies' starts to gossip by saying things like blue eyes boy and such, get a life!

Then there is the business that is a concoction of politics and dirty business tactics, we all know that right? I call it survival of the fittest but it's ethics out the window

Such is life.
devious17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #23
Tech Elite

I'd like to tell a small story related to this topic if I may. A story that does not have a good and happy ending but which is typical now in our hobby I feel.

I used to work in a LHS. A great place with an owner who put customers and their happiness before making money. Yeah I can hear you saying now "......well thats why he went out of business" ................. Well, If you don't want to hear the story then move on........I'm not forcing you.

I was of the same mind in that I loved the hobby/sport and I relished the opportunity to help people in what ever way I could. Countless times the owner would sit up until past midnight working on customers vehicles. Many a time I seen invoices of work done with only an hour booked for work which I knew took several hours!

Work done on childrens cars and trucks for nothing! Advice given to people, tips, information on products. All given free of charge with no thought of making a sale or if we had ever seen the customer before. Or if we would ever see them again. Our belief was that the parts and vehicles we sold would go to people who knew what they were getting and would enjoy the whole hobby. In that way we would make the money we needed. We knew we would not get rich from it. But that we would have fun and would meet like minded people and have a great time.

Tears in childrens eyes and dissopointment in dad's faces turned to joy, yes real joy ! (remember thet?) when we got what they thought was their wrecked and never to run again car/truck going again when they had originally come in thinking we would be pushing a new truck or what ever on them when we knew they could not afford one.

Yes I know, ".............your in the wrong hobby if you can't afford the parts to repair your vehicle". I hear people say.
Well these people enjoyed this hobby just as much if not more then we did, and yes they could not afford it. But we kept them running and it put a smile back on their faces.
Occasionally, we would have food layed out for people, customers, whoever walked through the door really, to have and enjoy. It was great and boy I miss that place.

But more and more, people would only come for the advice, the information we had, that we had reserched and found for them, only to go and buy that product on line. More and more this would happen.

This just could not go on and eventually, after down sizing as much as we could. The store had to close.

It was an enjoyable time with a sad ending. As I enjoyed the job there very much.

So why? When looking back, we were so good to people, did they go on line to buy? For the dollar !!!!!!
Because people now value the green stuff more then people.
Yeah, yeah. I've heard that one too. ".........................*%$k them, giving advice doesn't feed the family or pay the bills..!"
How true, but to not support people who are helping you is just plain mean and hurtful, for what, a few dollars you have spare anyway! (Well you were going to spend it on a "hobby" and not on the family or something you really need weren't you?

Oh well..........thats life. Unfortunately.
"The root of all evil is MONEY" is maybe a true saying after all.

My contribution. Sorry for the long post.

British Menace
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree that this is not a new discussion or a new thread about this topic, but for the sake of the newbies who want to get into this hobby, sport, what ever you want to call it, they need to be exposed to this.

I proudly will say that I buy my kits online. I've made my mistake in buying 2 kits, Associated B2 sport about 10 years ago and an Associated NTC3 about 4 years ago, and vowed never to buy kits at LHS.

The B2 was my second ever kit. I used to have the original RC10 my parents got me but I beat the crap out of it and was going to cost me more to fix it than to get a new kit. That was way back when I was in middle school, and now being on a college budget, I wasn't even thinking about it until I saw an onroad mall parking lot race Hungates hosted. It was huge. I mean they ran 1/10th gas, electric, truck, outlaw, 1/8th on road... it ran from 11am until 4 or 5 pm, and it was friggin great. I was hooked. It took me a couple of months to save, and not knowing a whole lot about RC and racing, I naturally went to the shop 5 or 6 times asking, what would be the car for me to run? what do you suggest? recommend?? the shop owner, who was informative, saw my 300 budget and recommended me getting the rc10 B2 and putting on road tires on them. He sold me the kit for 180.00, a duratraxx streak esc for 40.00, airtronics blazer am radio and receiver for 75.00, 1200mah stick pack for 20.00, wind up charger for 40.00, can of spray paint for 5.00, proline road rage tires front and rear for 30.00. My then girl friend now my wife helped with the difference. I put it together, practiced, got slaughtered and broke the rear a arm and the rear shock tower. It was painful to watch. I was so ashamed, and comments made by people about me being idiotic and running an off road car on an on road track, ruining their lines, I just put the car back in the box... I don't think I ever ran it again...

See, I have this thing called 'people skills,' and made friends at the track.... asking questions from people who were actually friggin racing the cars. They suggested the serpent impulse, ae tc3, nitro or electric hpi rs4 at the very least. I saw the price for the impulse and had a heart attack. tc3, a roller ran 225, and for the rs4's i needed 350.00. So I just drooled at a distance. But a friend came to the rescue and gave me one of his back up tc3's for 50.00. I ripped the electrics off the B2 and the next race season, I was racing. This is where I discovered www.towerhobbies.com. No thank you, local hobby shop.

From then on, I was hooked on RC. I went on to buying and building serpent impulse street spec, impulse pro, upgraded to a 705, then a 710. On the side, I ran a NTC3, Kyosho V One RR, Trinity Reflex NT, OFNA LD3, HPI R40, Mugen Mtx2, then 3. Then I got my hands on the Team magic G4, sold off everything except my toy car Factory Team NTC3, and have been running G4's ever since. Then earlier this year I finally upgraded to G4S, and MAN, talk about a race car. When I don't race, I play with my other toy cars... Tmaxx, Emaxx, 2 savages, Tlt 1, 2 revo 3.3's.. My local hobby shop wish they got my business... I still do go to them for fuel and small replacement parts...

I hate going to the closest shop to me, the h-town, but sometimes I have to because they carry fuel, glow plugs, and are open till 9pm. They did not know what Serpent was. They refused to order parts for me cause they never heard of the company. They asked me why don't I get an hpi rs4 3 evo?? its fast.... They have absolutely no knowledge about RC cars, and all the stock is behind the counter so that you can't touch them. One time I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to ask me if I needed help. Now I just walk in, ask for what I want, and if the price is okay, I buy it and leave. I go to the shops an hour away from me on a weekly basis to see if they have any deals, for replacement parts, for fuel.... because they are knowledgeable, carry the parts I need, and are just pleasant to talk to.

The other kit I bought at a shop was one of my NTC3's. On my way to visit my parents, I discovered a little hole in the wall RC shop. They were trying to get rid of the version 1 NTC3's, so that they can order the plus version to put on the shelf, and were having a sale... 375.00. I was talking to the owner, and he was a skilled salesman. I walked out of there with the box in my hand not realizing I just paid 375.00 for a version 1 RTR kit. I mean this guy was incredible. I took it home, ripped it down, installed everything from K factory and factory team, with a fioroni chassis plate. I still have this car as a practice runner and for friends who want to try out a nitro rc car. I just can't get over how this guy sold me something I never needed...

I do agree that the shops that run races need support. Still, buying their over priced kits I'm just not sucker enough to do. I will buy their fuel, small spare parts, lexan bodies, tires, wires, plugs... only if they deserve my business. If they know what they are talking about technically, if they are racers themselves and understand what kind of sacrifices financially and personally we have to make to race, I will give them my business 100%. If they just sit in the back office, having Highschool kids who know less than my wife about rc answer my questions and ring me up, I just say, 'that's okay. I'm just looking for today.'

Sorry for the long post. just my 2 cents. maybe 3.
cheesewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhip View Post
I agree that this is not a new discussion or a new thread about this topic, but for the sake of the newbies who want to get into this hobby, sport, what ever you want to call it, they need to be exposed to this.

I proudly will say that I buy my kits online. I've made my mistake in buying 2 kits, Associated B2 sport about 10 years ago and an Associated NTC3 about 4 years ago, and vowed never to buy kits at LHS.

The B2 was my second ever kit. I used to have the original RC10 my parents got me but I beat the crap out of it and was going to cost me more to fix it than to get a new kit. That was way back when I was in middle school, and now being on a college budget, I wasn't even thinking about it until I saw an onroad mall parking lot race Hungates hosted. It was huge. I mean they ran 1/10th gas, electric, truck, outlaw, 1/8th on road... it ran from 11am until 4 or 5 pm, and it was friggin great. I was hooked. It took me a couple of months to save, and not knowing a whole lot about RC and racing, I naturally went to the shop 5 or 6 times asking, what would be the car for me to run? what do you suggest? recommend?? the shop owner, who was informative, saw my 300 budget and recommended me getting the rc10 B2 and putting on road tires on them. He sold me the kit for 180.00, a duratraxx streak esc for 40.00, airtronics blazer am radio and receiver for 75.00, 1200mah stick pack for 20.00, wind up charger for 40.00, can of spray paint for 5.00, proline road rage tires front and rear for 30.00. My then girl friend now my wife helped with the difference. I put it together, practiced, got slaughtered and broke the rear a arm and the rear shock tower. It was painful to watch. I was so ashamed, and comments made by people about me being idiotic and running an off road car on an on road track, ruining their lines, I just put the car back in the box... I don't think I ever ran it again...

See, I have this thing called 'people skills,' and made friends at the track.... asking questions from people who were actually friggin racing the cars. They suggested the serpent impulse, ae tc3, nitro or electric hpi rs4 at the very least. I saw the price for the impulse and had a heart attack. tc3, a roller ran 225, and for the rs4's i needed 350.00. So I just drooled at a distance. But a friend came to the rescue and gave me one of his back up tc3's for 50.00. I ripped the electrics off the B2 and the next race season, I was racing. This is where I discovered www.towerhobbies.com. No thank you, local hobby shop.

From then on, I was hooked on RC. I went on to buying and building serpent impulse street spec, impulse pro, upgraded to a 705, then a 710. On the side, I ran a NTC3, Kyosho V One RR, Trinity Reflex NT, OFNA LD3, HPI R40, Mugen Mtx2, then 3. Then I got my hands on the Team magic G4, sold off everything except my toy car Factory Team NTC3, and have been running G4's ever since. Then earlier this year I finally upgraded to G4S, and MAN, talk about a race car. When I don't race, I play with my other toy cars... Tmaxx, Emaxx, 2 savages, Tlt 1, 2 revo 3.3's.. My local hobby shop wish they got my business... I still do go to them for fuel and small replacement parts...

I hate going to the closest shop to me, the h-town, but sometimes I have to because they carry fuel, glow plugs, and are open till 9pm. They did not know what Serpent was. They refused to order parts for me cause they never heard of the company. They asked me why don't I get an hpi rs4 3 evo?? its fast.... They have absolutely no knowledge about RC cars, and all the stock is behind the counter so that you can't touch them. One time I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to ask me if I needed help. Now I just walk in, ask for what I want, and if the price is okay, I buy it and leave. I go to the shops an hour away from me on a weekly basis to see if they have any deals, for replacement parts, for fuel.... because they are knowledgeable, carry the parts I need, and are just pleasant to talk to.

The other kit I bought at a shop was one of my NTC3's. On my way to visit my parents, I discovered a little hole in the wall RC shop. They were trying to get rid of the version 1 NTC3's, so that they can order the plus version to put on the shelf, and were having a sale... 375.00. I was talking to the owner, and he was a skilled salesman. I walked out of there with the box in my hand not realizing I just paid 375.00 for a version 1 RTR kit. I mean this guy was incredible. I took it home, ripped it down, installed everything from K factory and factory team, with a fioroni chassis plate. I still have this car as a practice runner and for friends who want to try out a nitro rc car. I just can't get over how this guy sold me something I never needed...

I do agree that the shops that run races need support. Still, buying their over priced kits I'm just not sucker enough to do. I will buy their fuel, small spare parts, lexan bodies, tires, wires, plugs... only if they deserve my business. If they know what they are talking about technically, if they are racers themselves and understand what kind of sacrifices financially and personally we have to make to race, I will give them my business 100%. If they just sit in the back office, having Highschool kids who know less than my wife about rc answer my questions and ring me up, I just say, 'that's okay. I'm just looking for today.'

Sorry for the long post. just my 2 cents. maybe 3.
well said..
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
I'd like to tell a small story related to this topic if I may. A story that does not have a good and happy ending but which is typical now in our hobby I feel.

I used to work in a LHS. A great place with an owner who put customers and their happiness before making money. Yeah I can hear you saying now "......well thats why he went out of business" ................. Well, If you don't want to hear the story then move on........I'm not forcing you.

I was of the same mind in that I loved the hobby/sport and I relished the opportunity to help people in what ever way I could. Countless times the owner would sit up until past midnight working on customers vehicles. Many a time I seen invoices of work done with only an hour booked for work which I knew took several hours!

Work done on childrens cars and trucks for nothing! Advice given to people, tips, information on products. All given free of charge with no thought of making a sale or if we had ever seen the customer before. Or if we would ever see them again. Our belief was that the parts and vehicles we sold would go to people who knew what they were getting and would enjoy the whole hobby. In that way we would make the money we needed. We knew we would not get rich from it. But that we would have fun and would meet like minded people and have a great time.

Tears in childrens eyes and dissopointment in dad's faces turned to joy, yes real joy ! (remember thet?) when we got what they thought was their wrecked and never to run again car/truck going again when they had originally come in thinking we would be pushing a new truck or what ever on them when we knew they could not afford one.

Yes I know, ".............your in the wrong hobby if you can't afford the parts to repair your vehicle". I hear people say.
Well these people enjoyed this hobby just as much if not more then we did, and yes they could not afford it. But we kept them running and it put a smile back on their faces.
Occasionally, we would have food layed out for people, customers, whoever walked through the door really, to have and enjoy. It was great and boy I miss that place.

But more and more, people would only come for the advice, the information we had, that we had reserched and found for them, only to go and buy that product on line. More and more this would happen.

This just could not go on and eventually, after down sizing as much as we could. The store had to close.

It was an enjoyable time with a sad ending. As I enjoyed the job there very much.

So why? When looking back, we were so good to people, did they go on line to buy? For the dollar !!!!!!
Because people now value the green stuff more then people.
Yeah, yeah. I've heard that one too. ".........................*%$k them, giving advice doesn't feed the family or pay the bills..!"
How true, but to not support people who are helping you is just plain mean and hurtful, for what, a few dollars you have spare anyway! (Well you were going to spend it on a "hobby" and not on the family or something you really need weren't you?

My contribution. Sorry for the long post.

British Menace

No need to apologize, you summed up it up quite well.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post

British Menace
-the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
-the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.........
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I called my LHS, chasing a 38t 48p pinion.

Not a fairly common item, but this is a dedicated hobby shop (not a toy shop).

I asked the guy on the phone, he said what car is it for.

I said I just want a generic (any brand) pinion.

He goes, yeah but what car is it for.

I said its for a cyclone, he goes, oh sorry we dont sell parts for that.

After about 5 minutes of trying to explain to the guy what the deal was, he hung up.

I jumped onto one of the many online websites, clicked the button and it was in my letterbox in about 4 days. No arguing, no hassles.

Other hobby shops told me "they don't go that high" or "what would you want that for?".

If I want shock oil or paint, I'll go to a LHS, but for technical stuff I'd rather just order what I want and know I'll get exactly what I asked for.

RC Champ Adviser in particular never mind answering my questions.

Me using online stores isn't because of the bottom dollar, its simply because I don't like being made to feel like an idiot when I know bloody well what I'm talking about.
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kemorc Send a message via MSN to Kemorc

LHS fail all the time because they try to only sell you vehicle specific parts.

The other reason they fail so often is, they rarely have parts you need, so they are forced to order them anyways.

They often do not carry the brand you need, or have... and they mainly carry parts ONLY for RTR.

And even worse... they often have the know it all staff that know almost nothing about the hobby.
Kemorc is offline   Reply With Quote