R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

HPI R40, Kyosho V-One RRR, Serpent 720 or AE TC3?

Hi guys, im looking to get a nitro pro kit but I can't decide between them. I have a few candidates to pick from which 1 will u guys pick? Please tell me the reason & strong points vs weakness of all kits if possible.

HPI R40
Kyosho V-one RRR
Serpent 720
Associate TC3

Thanks in advance.
joe2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Tech Adept

720 or the rrr are you best choices imo
mattster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattster
720 or the rrr are you best choices imo
I have to second this opinion. The NTC3 is all but discontinued and the HPI R40 is heavier than the other touring cars, cost a lot to try to lighten, and just about on its way out with HPI (about to be discontinued). Here are some other cars to think about considering:

Xray NT1
Team Magic G4S
Mugen MTX4/MTX4R

Just remember: buy the car that your local hobby supports or can easily acquire spare/replacement parts. Outside of the R40 and NTC3, the other 5 cars will put you right in the competition mix.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
I have to second this opinion. The NTC3 is all but discontinued and the HPI R40 is heavier than the other touring cars, cost a lot to try to lighten, and just about on its way out with HPI (about to be discontinued). Here are some other cars to think about considering:

Xray NT1
Team Magic G4S
Mugen MTX4/MTX4R

Just remember: buy the car that your local hobby supports or can easily acquire spare/replacement parts. Outside of the R40 and NTC3, the other 5 cars will put you right in the competition mix.
The reason I only include these 4 cars are because I can get the parts from my local shop. The most tempting offer is the HPI R40. It comes with a RB concept v.15 engine, Team magic tuned muffler, Futaba 2PL with servos, LRP starter box, glow heater, 2-liter 25% nitro, HPI painted body, fuel bottle & all batteries included all for $733
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My Knowledge Base site (http://www.nitrokb.com) has quite a bit of info on the RRR. That might help with your decision.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

There is a reason why the HPI is a good deal. It is not a very desirable race platform.

I agree with Mattster.

Now to do my part:
The HPI, I know little about it. It is an older platform, that HPI hasn't kept up with by updating the car. It is not that popular and so you will probably be more on your own to do the learning with that car.

The AE car is similar to the HPI in that AE hasn't been updating the car. This car is fast, but will require a lot maintenance and is somewhat fragile. A lot of people used to drive this car, but most people stopped a few years ago.

The 720 is the newest of the cars and wouldn't be a bad choice. It is not too popular and seems to be somewhat hit and miss on the setup.

The Kyosho RRR Evo WCE is the newest version of Kyosho's sedan. It comes with many of the popular upgrades. Kyosho has a very large following and in most markets you will find many people that drive that car. Parts, support and setup help should not be difficult to get. This is a very good and well proven car with an established track record. It is extremely competetive at the club, regional, national and world level. Yes, I am a sponsored driver for Kyosho, but that was my choice. They were the one that I wanted for the reasons listed above.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #7

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

720 gets my vote...
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

it is really very tough to decide among VoneRRR, 720 and NT1.
just choose your favorate one so that you will have a good mood to drive it
Solution D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

There is definately more options to choose from but from your list ,the 720 and RRR is teh cars of choice.Id suggest checking out the local scene to see which of the two is more popular or has teh best support.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to VoneS3Kid

Hey Guys, I have driven both the VoneRRR Evo WC and The NT1. They are both awesome cars, but i personally rather the NT1. This car i so smooth and has so much all round grip. The NT1 Is super strong, stronger than the RRR. If you can get access to Xray then go for it, but if your LHS doesnt stock parts go for the VoneRRR "EVO" I find the Evo quite a big improvement on the normal RRR.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Thanx for ur advice guys, but in the end I choose the HPI R40. Since im a newbie to the sport I won't notice much performance advantage of other RC I listed over the R40. This is the cheapest Pro kit im able to find, it seems like great value for money. But I will keep ur advices in mind, personally I like the V-one RRR alot. Perhaps 1 day when my skills finally caught up with the RRR potential I might get 1. Thanx again for all the response guys.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So cost was the deciding factor then

For what it's worth I like my R40 but now I'm racing at a more competitive club I'm looking to upgrade. Not sure between an NT1, MTX4R, EVO RRR or a 720, seems like they're all closely matched, would anyone know which is easiest to work on?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2d View Post
Hi guys, im looking to get a nitro pro kit but I can't decide between them. I have a few candidates to pick from which 1 will u guys pick? Please tell me the reason & strong points vs weakness of all kits if possible.

HPI R40
Kyosho V-one RRR
Serpent 720
Associate TC3

Thanks in advance.
I assume those are the only 4 you can get parts for easily?

Then 720.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
So cost was the deciding factor then

For what it's worth I like my R40 but now I'm racing at a more competitive club I'm looking to upgrade. Not sure between an NT1, MTX4R, EVO RRR or a 720, seems like they're all closely matched, would anyone know which is easiest to work on?
I don't have experience with the RRR (only driven it, don't own it) but between the NT1, MTX4 and 720, the NT1 and 720 are very close in terms of ease to work on.