R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten
Can someone explain why the Unity setup station would not work well for a full suspension car? I have been thinking about getting one due to simplistic appearance and use of std wheels but I haven't seen one up close.

Mark
I'll make an attempt ... I think the easiest way to think of it is this; let's say you have a perfect car, both rear shocks equal to each other, both front shocks equal to each other and the chassis as well as radio plate are both perfect, square.

Now when you put this on the tweak station you'll see that the bubble is perfectly in the center. Take the car off, turn the shock collar on the rear left say clockwise (looking from the top of the shock) exactly one turn and then turn the rear right anti-clockwise. In effect you have the rear shocks now unequally set.

Now when you place the rear of the car on stationary side of the tweak station, the front on the pivoting side, you'll see that the bubble has moved off-center. Probably the bubble is to the left (looking from the front of the car/tweak station) because the front left appears higher than the right. Your car appeared tweaked because the rear left shock is pushing the spring down and the rear right is allowing the spring to move up the shock a little while both the fronts are completely equal.

You think your car is tweaked so what you normally do is turn the collar on the front left down or clockwise to "lower" the front left and you turn the right collar up or anticlockwise to "raise" the front right. your bubble is back in the middle and you think your car is now untweaked? Think about it.

You basically now have a car that appears perfect on the station but in reality the chassis is slanted!

Now, what to do? Julius hold the "copyright" on the proper way to do it so we'll just have to wait for him to see this post and either correct me or post the proper way to untweak a car with 4-independent suspension.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would have to agree with Sow on this, you can kind of screw up a car on a tweak board , by adjusting the "wrong" end of the car, usually if you build a car square and right as Sow is saying, you would just use the tweak board to confirm and make small changes. i myself always just tweak the back of my car, to me the twaek board is just a final step in a good built and set up car, you can also have the same type of problem BTW with a straight axle car, the reason I prefer a tweak board over other tweaking methods, is that you are seeing the true tweak in a running, sagging into the shock travel position, verus lifting each end of the car and maybe being influenced by the droop and downtravel. You can also often tweak a car on the track, if it pushes cornering one way, and loose the other way, give the OUTSIDE rear tire spring a little more preload of the corners it pushes in....Quite often times I will see this at the track, somebody complains thier car is loose or pushing, when in reality it is just tweaked, they only see it in the majority of corners, for the direction the track goes.... You can also tweak a car on purpose a little bit to help on the majority of the track, and fight it a little on a few of the corners the tweak doesn't help, I have also seen people run differnt caster left to right on a car, because all high speed corners are one way, low speeds are the other, that's kind of rare though.....
Ffejdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

The bottom line is, see if you can borrow a tweak board from someone to try before shelling out the money for one, some people love em, some don't, used properly I believe they are a very valueable tool to have....
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffejdat View Post
I would have to agree with Sow on this, you can kind of screw up a car on a tweak board , by adjusting the "wrong" end of the car, usually if you build a car square and right as Sow is saying, you would just use the tweak board to confirm and make small changes. i myself always just tweak the back of my car, to me the twaek board is just a final step in a good built and set up car, you can also have the same type of problem BTW with a straight axle car, the reason I prefer a tweak board over other tweaking methods, is that you are seeing the true tweak in a running, sagging into the shock travel position, verus lifting each end of the car and maybe being influenced by the droop and downtravel. You can also often tweak a car on the track, if it pushes cornering one way, and loose the other way, give the OUTSIDE rear tire spring a little more preload of the corners it pushes in....Quite often times I will see this at the track, somebody complains thier car is loose or pushing, when in reality it is just tweaked, they only see it in the majority of corners, for the direction the track goes.... You can also tweak a car on purpose a little bit to help on the majority of the track, and fight it a little on a few of the corners the tweak doesn't help, I have also seen people run differnt caster left to right on a car, because all high speed corners are one way, low speeds are the other, that's kind of rare though.....
Thanks Ffejdat and good advice in that a tweak board is still preferable to just lifting ends of the car. I also agree with you in that I've seen pros sort of purposely tweak their car to get certain behaviors just over certain corners of the track or the majority part of it.

the most common I've seen is that they run different cambers left to right, especially in the rear.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffejdat View Post
The bottom line is, see if you can borrow a tweak board from someone to try before shelling out the money for one, some people love em, some don't, used properly I believe they are a very valueable tool to have....
Definitely. I do use one but like you do in that I only use it to check the car just after a major rebuild or if I find there's a real handling problem. Other than that I take it that the car will be tweaked as soon as I've done a few laps because one side wears more than the other. I race foams on nitro, not electric on rubber tyres so I'm not too fussy with a slight tweak.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

The other thing I have found a tweak board usefull for is, You can put a car on it, and push up and down on the end of the car on the moveable end of the board, the bubble should stay relatively centered if you are pushing straight up and down, if it moves all the way to one side, or doesn't re center well, that is a sign that something is wrong with the suspension on that end of the car, like a bad hinge pin, tight ball joint, binding shock, etc....
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sow&Steady View Post
Thanks Ffejdat and good advice in that a tweak board is still preferable to just lifting ends of the car. I also agree with you in that I've seen pros sort of purposely tweak their car to get certain behaviors just over certain corners of the track or the majority part of it.

the most common I've seen is that they run different cambers left to right, especially in the rear.
At our old local track most of the faster corners were left handers so in order to get even/square tyre wear i had to run 1.5 - 2 degrees more camber in the right rear than left which worked well.
Front camber was even both sides though.
itchy b is offline   Reply With Quote