R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Is the traxxas 4 tech reliable?

I want to get a 4tech.

Just for drag racing but I want to know if the thing is reliable and durable.

I hate cars that constantly break down ie piece of crap cen ct4s.

I keep hearing great reviews for traxxas stuff.

Thanks
george_georgoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_georgoul
I want to get a 4tech.

Just for drag racing but I want to know if the thing is reliable and durable.

I hate cars that constantly break down ie piece of crap cen ct4s.

I keep hearing great reviews for traxxas stuff.

Thanks
Most racers that post here don't drive RTR's... I'll say this, if that's all you want to do with it, is just drag race... Then go for it... The N4TEC 3.3 is a monster and Traxxas support is some of the best in the business. That being said, for most, drag racing gets old after awhile and you'll want to learn how to drive a car and not simply just go in a straight line.. ie.. drag racing. But hey, it that's all you want to do... Go for it. Here's a link that will give you lots of info on the car and support from Traxxas as well. http://monster.traxxas.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Most racers here don't bother with RTR's and just run full on Pro cars from Mugen, Serpent, TM, Huddy, and Kyosho. Hope the info helps...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks

I was looking at getting a pro car but I am not that good with nitro yet.

I want to get a car to thrash around and learn to tune etc before i get into the pros.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I can't speek for others, but I can say that I spent the money to get a 4Tec when I first got into nitro. That car lasted me about 4 days. I was ready for something else. If I was to do it all over again, I would have bought a pro car to begin with. Got some advice from the local racers to see what they are running and what product support thier is and go from there. The good thing about a kit car is that you know how to fix it if its broken. You don't have to start out with the best engine, radio or servo's, but it helps. If you do think that you will get serious enough to go out and race, get a car that will grow with you, not parked on a shelf when you get to that stage.
A little more $$ spent now will translate into less down the road.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

The Traxxas family of cars is good (I drove a T-Maxx for a few years), but if you have any idea of one day getting into racing, leave the 4tec alone. If there is a track near you, ask those guys what they are racing and look to get into on of the kits.

4tec is good for straight line running. Try to turn anywhere near top speed and you'll flip it. If you just want to bash and tear up the pavement, I would go for the Jato 3.3r, then if you decide to go over the pavement, you have a vehicle that can do it. And the Jato is not much slower then the 4Tec.

But if you have any inclination of transitioning to racing, try one of the kits (Mugen, Team Magic, Kyosho, Serpent). As the previous poster stated, building the car will give you a better understanding of how it works. I am building my first kit now and it a lot of fun(check my signature for website). Yeah, it will take me a few weeks longer to get on the track but I know if something goes wrong with the car, I can fix it. And since most of the guys at the track run my kit, finding parts and suggestions for upgrades is easy.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Thanks

Especially for that traxxas link.

I know what you mean but I am not 100% sure that I will get a pro car.

I am pretty busy dont get a chance every weekend to take the car out.

Thanks for the advice anyway