R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #61
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7vspec View Post
yeh but no matter how long it lasts inside the little red plastic case isnt $100 worth of technolgy,no matter what way you look at it...its just that simple.

I think anyone who has been in this hobby long enough to have scored races by HAND will strongly disagree with this statement.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
I think anyone who has been in this hobby long enough to have scored races by HAND will strongly disagree with this statement.
its a micro chip and cable for crying out loud, not a duo-core intel processor! yes it is cheap to produce. full stop. they could sell it for $60 and still make tripple profit. it probably costs $10 at the most to produce.

this thread is about the fact that AMB has a monopoly, and we have no choice, hence no price control due to market forces. no one would be whinging if they could purchase a competitors brand at X% cheaper.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote TomB:
"AMB has a monopoly, and we have no choice, hence no price control due to market forces. no one would be whinging if they could purchase a competitors brand at X% cheaper."

I guess you missed my post #55!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...3&postcount=55

.. about this:

Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #64
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S View Post
Quote TomB:
"AMB has a monopoly, and we have no choice, hence no price control due to market forces. no one would be whinging if they could purchase a competitors brand at X% cheaper."

.. about this:

I've see your post and have been interested in the cloned transponder but i still think there is a major drawback to your selling the Stealth transponder.

You've said before that you can only "clone" an existing number (not sure why you can't just make up a number that the system will recognize). That works fine as long as you are cloning an existing transponder that you own. There's little chance of someone else getting the same number and causing issues at the track.
Now though, your about to make a transponder that has 10 cloned freq's (the same 10 that will be cloned onto each transponder) what's to stop AMB from simply updating their Lap software to simply not recognize the 10 numbers that your cloning repeatedly????

They have the stranglehold, they write the software, so in essence they have the ability to put your cloned ones out of the market. It sucks, but unless there is some open sourced way to work the system, I don't see any other way around AMB's hold on the prices.
Paradoxmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxmaker View Post
I've see your post and have been interested in the cloned transponder but i still think there is a major drawback to your selling the Stealth transponder.

You've said before that you can only "clone" an existing number (not sure why you can't just make up a number that the system will recognize). That works fine as long as you are cloning an existing transponder that you own. There's little chance of someone else getting the same number and causing issues at the track.
Now though, your about to make a transponder that has 10 cloned freq's (the same 10 that will be cloned onto each transponder) what's to stop AMB from simply updating their Lap software to simply not recognize the 10 numbers that your cloning repeatedly????

They have the stranglehold, they write the software, so in essence they have the ability to put your cloned ones out of the market. It sucks, but unless there is some open sourced way to work the system, I don't see any other way around AMB's hold on the prices.
You obviously have know idea how lap counting software works. Apart from that the AMB lap counting software is used by a very small number of tracks wordwide.
A you may or may not know the AMB PT's have a 7 digit number which if my math is correct means that it is possible to produce at least 9,999,999 PT's before there is any duplication, so at present the chances of anyone having the same number as another racer in the same race is in theory 1 in 9,999,999 which are pretty long odds, the odds drop slightly when you have 10 numbers in your PT 1 in 999,999.9 still pretty long odds.
Getting back to the software, most decent Lap Counting Software should/will immediately recognise any duplication of PT numbers during booking in let alone during a race so changes can be made before cars hit the track. So I can't see a problem. AS for inputing the same 10 numbers into each Stealth PT I think you may have that a bit wrong, in fact I'm certain your wrong.
jonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S View Post
Quote TomB:

.. about this:

yep i saw that, nd went to your site, but i cou;dn't find the stealth transponder on it.

so what does this mean? can i get my existing PT number's cloned, then sell my old ones? as long as the guy does not race at my track it's fine right? problem is i still need to buy a AMB PT at some point. i've already got two...if only i knew this before
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, sorry I thought you'd missed my post and wouldn't know that there are alternative transponders other than AMB! The PTX is not available for a few weeks so there's no info on our web site, our existing cloned personal transponder the i-PT is there. Details are at www.rclaps.com and our main page at www.team-mrt.com has the specs/photo.

As we're working with the exisitng system we use existing numbers, the i-PT has only cloned transponders so you need to have an original AMB PT. With the i-PT you can have the same number in all your cars. The new PTX has different versions, a single number clone, a 10 number or 10 number plus cloned number(s) etc. A PTX with cloned numbers is a 'custom' version which could have a unique 'set' of numbers. There's different versions because not everyone wants the same PT spec, some clubs for example only need a simple 'club' version with a single number cloned from their handout (house) battery transponders. The 10 number version is like the older AMB20 system you can have up to 10 cars in a race and they're on the numbers from 1 to 10. Custom versions can have your existing ID# programmed in, so you just have it count on your own PT number and don't have to change.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Now those of you whinging on about there only being 1.98 worth of parts in an AMB pt please note:

The I-pt from MRT which is, essentially, reverse-engineered from the AMB pt STILL sells for $80. Yeah, they had SOME development costs but nothing near what AMB had. PLUS, you agree up front that you will NEVER SELL a I-pt while the AMB PT's retain most of their value pretty much forever--they sell all day every day for $70-80 used. The vast majority of people entering this hobby get out again after a year or two or cyclically "downsize"...where's the "savings" in eating however many $80 pt's you bought.

Do you honestly think there's $400 worth of carbon, aluminum and plastic in that latest X-ray TC kit you throw down for every season? You can bet that by utilizing "inexpensive" East European labor and back-dooring them into the EU that a kit doesn't cost Martin Hudy even close to $100. I'd wager closer to $50.

A successful company makes profit. Period. You'll be unemployed the DAY your company sells whatever product/service you provide for even CLOSE to what they actually pay you plus parts.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #69
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Now those of you whinging on about there only being 1.98 worth of parts in an AMB pt please note:

The I-pt from MRT which is, essentially, reverse-engineered from the AMB pt STILL sells for $80. Yeah, they had SOME development costs but nothing near what AMB had. PLUS, you agree up front that you will NEVER SELL a I-pt while the AMB PT's retain most of their value pretty much forever--they sell all day every day for $70-80 used. The vast majority of people entering this hobby get out again after a year or two or cyclically "downsize"...where's the "savings" in eating however many $80 pt's you bought.

Do you honestly think there's $400 worth of carbon, aluminum and plastic in that latest X-ray TC kit you throw down for every season? You can bet that by utilizing "inexpensive" East European labor and back-dooring them into the EU that a kit doesn't cost Martin Hudy even close to $100. I'd wager closer to $50.

A successful company makes profit. Period. You'll be unemployed the DAY your company sells whatever product/service you provide for even CLOSE to what they actually pay you plus parts.
Yes I would also have to agree with that statement. When you are a company that has a product that works well... you can pretty much name your price. Look at Ferrari or Mercedes Benz. They don't have 20% in the car but we pay full retail without any hesitation. Some of us have the understanding that you have to pay to play!! I wish I could come up with a Bill Gates or Donald Trump idea!!
Racer Z is offline   Reply With Quote