R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Personally i dont know why anyone has'nt bothered to try make an alternative from the AMB company (apart from MRT).
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #47
Tech Initiate

euro<->dollar has nothing to do with it.

in germany a transponder costs 77 euros thats:

103 us dollars. They just have the monopoly and dictate the prices. End of story.
deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
my pt is older than 6 years, i bought it when they were $50 new!!
don't use the inflation excuse. this little site helps you figure out how much a AMB PT should cost if inflation for 6 years was taken into account;

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

now from memory, i don't think AMB has hit the red recently, and if anything more and more motorsports would use their technology.

So according to the above site the AMB transponder should cost $59 in 2006 (2007 data not available) with inflation taken into account

this website; http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html comes up with the same amount so, yeah

RESULTS ARE IN,

AMB is ripping us off!
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice

In the grand scheme of RC the transponder are the biggest "Bargain" out there. What other $100 part will last you 5 plus years? I've got one that wasn't mounted properly and was drug around the track for part of a main without me realizing it. Wore through the plastic, epoxy and exposing metal. It was still working fine at the end of the race. Can a $100 receiver do that? How about your $80 clutch or your $250-700 motor? To be honest I had no idea they had gone up so much because I still have the original two I bought the first year they were introduced and had not even thought about needing another one. Short of cutting the wires or smashing it with a hammer these things are indestructable.

Another thing to think about is the size of the RACING market in RC. We're not talking hundreds of thousands. Maybe tens of thousands in all classes at any given time. Resale of the used units further cuts into a diminishing market. At least they haven't replaced it with a new system and discontinued supporting the old like everything else in this hobby. Don't you just love buying tons of parts for your new kit, so you will have what you need at out of town races, only to find out that a totally new car kit is coming. Now you have a dinosaur that you can't give away after two years. Doesn't it tick you off to find out the sponsored driver get's his stuff for free or 1/2 what you pay or has products available to him that you won't be able to get for months? Of course that's two more new threads.
Flatous Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

yeh but no matter how long it lasts inside the little red plastic case isnt $100 worth of technolgy,no matter what way you look at it...its just that simple.

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7vspec View Post
yeh but no matter how long it lasts inside the little red plastic case isnt $100 worth of technolgy,no matter what way you look at it...its just that simple.
right on
Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #52
Tech Master

What say, we email Spektrum. They are good enough to let people know on their site that if theres enough demand for anything with respect to what they produce (electronics) they will look into it
Old 06-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #53
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatous Tires View Post
In the grand scheme of RC the transponder are the biggest "Bargain" out there. What other $100 part will last you 5 plus years? I've got one that wasn't mounted properly and was drug around the track for part of a main without me realizing it. Wore through the plastic, epoxy and exposing metal. It was still working fine at the end of the race. Can a $100 receiver do that? How about your $80 clutch or your $250-700 motor? To be honest I had no idea they had gone up so much because I still have the original two I bought the first year they were introduced and had not even thought about needing another one. Short of cutting the wires or smashing it with a hammer these things are indestructable.

Another thing to think about is the size of the RACING market in RC. We're not talking hundreds of thousands. Maybe tens of thousands in all classes at any given time. Resale of the used units further cuts into a diminishing market. At least they haven't replaced it with a new system and discontinued supporting the old like everything else in this hobby. Don't you just love buying tons of parts for your new kit, so you will have what you need at out of town races, only to find out that a totally new car kit is coming. Now you have a dinosaur that you can't give away after two years. Doesn't it tick you off to find out the sponsored driver get's his stuff for free or 1/2 what you pay or has products available to him that you won't be able to get for months? Of course that's two more new threads.
Very well put. I agree 100%
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #54
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7vspec View Post
If it is so simple and not worth $100 then why has no one else come up with a better or equal system that can compete? If there was money to be made and these units are way over priced then we would be seeing knockoffs everywhere. If some company in China could make them and sell them for a profit at $50 don't you think someone would have done it by now.
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9s View Post
If it is so simple and not worth $100 then why has no one else come up with a better or equal system that can compete? If there was money to be made and these units are way over priced then we would be seeing knockoffs everywhere. If some company in China could make them and sell them for a profit at $50 don't you think someone would have done it by now.
We have, it's our new 'Stealth PT' the MRT PTX personal transponder!

More info here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164588
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I don't think technology is the main issue here.

AMB dominate the market. if the new system don't compatible with AMB system no one will use it because people have to buy a new one for the few tracks that use new system and most people won't do it.

similar to linux system, it has come out several years already and ask yourself how many of you even try to install it if not using it. same reason, compatibility and people get used to one system and refuse to try new thing.

also even if a system want to be AMB competible. without authorization of AMB, the developer of new system might get sued.

unless the whole community works together against AMB in which not gonna happen. their price will still rise and no other system can be develop or gain more market share

personally I don't race and don't have one. the technology don't justified the price regardless whatever features they add (we just need it to count lap)

Edited: Oopps I didn't notice someone is try to make a change with PTX system, hopefully he can blow some new wind into PT market
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker View Post
if the new system don't compatible with AMB system no one will use it because people have to buy a new one for the few tracks that use new system and most people won't do it.
I think you're probably right.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

one day mabey radio manufactures will wake up and build a pt right into the receiver
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmain View Post
one day mabey radio manufactures will wake up and build a pt right into the receiver

Ditto I would'nt mind paying the extra $50 just to have that incorporated
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i just bought a new PT from local RC dot com owner for $95 and i thought it was a good deal so i dont have to rent the club owned transponders for 5 bucks every race weekend...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote