Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remember frequency control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well said Rick,you have done a great deal of work at FBF mainly for other people.You made it grow into a GREAT place to race,the comp.is getting better,people are getting serious about this hobby.Lets continue to grow.
I dont want money fron the club,I would rather the club grow instead.
I want Dexter to do the right thing and help me rebuld my car.This is the 3rd
car and 3rd day of racing that I had to missout on.I did not want to sound like it was Ricks fault cause its not.Rick is a stand up man.When is dexter going to learn to just check the clip board.It's very simple.Just to let everyone know I am going to DSM,lets hope it works this time for me.

OVER AND OUT
Mike Malinconico.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Guys, just need to know if 40mghz FM frequency is legal to use around race tracks?

I heard its for planes and heli's but since most if not all rc clubs happen to be in or around surburban areas, very unlikely of any interferance?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Lord

40 mHz is not legal for use in radio controlled models in the US.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Problem is you might find that the 40mhz frequency is open for use for other things and well....you could find yourself glitching from who knows what.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

The 40mhz band falls under the short wave radio bandwidth in the US. I have heard that you can run 40mhz if you get a ham radio licence and that is pretty easy to get.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
The 40mhz band falls under the short wave radio bandwidth in the US. I have heard that you can run 40mhz if you get a ham radio licence and that is pretty easy to get.
Not true. 50mHz is the SW band that you can use with a ham license.

From the 2007 ROAR rulebook, page 13:

4 RADIO EQUIPMENT

4.1.1 Radio control systems used in ROAR competition are limited to the following channels:

• 27 MHz: Only frequencies 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145, 27.195, and 27.255 MHz
• 75 MHz: All Channels 61 through 90
• 50 MHz: Channels 00, 02, 06, and 08
• 53 MHz: Frequencies 53.100 through 53.800 MHz.
• 2.4GHz DSM/DSS systems

4.1.2 Drivers using 50 MHz and 53 MHz radios must have an FCC Amateur Radio license issued for that radio in their possession.

4.1.3 All radio equipment must conform to FCC rules. Only narrow band (20 MHz spacing) radios will be allowed to use the 75 MHz frequencies in ROAR competition. A frequency counter or similar device should be used to test for legal fequencies.

4.1.4 A driver must use his assigned frequency. Except in the case of 2.4GHz DSM/DSS systems, the Race Director must approve all frequency changes.

4.1.5 The use of radios operating on 29 MHz, 40 MHz, or CB (split) channels is prohibited.

4.1.6 Changing frequencies by interchanging transmitter and receiver crystals (“reversed frequencies”) is prohibited.

4.1.7 Except in the case of 2.4GHz DSM/DSS systems, radios must display the clip for the
frequency used during practice. Radios must be able to change frequencies. At Level 3-5 events, two alternate frequencies are required.

4.1.8 Transmitters are limited to the manufacturer’s recommended voltage. External transmitter battery packs are not permitted.

4.1.9 Except in 1/5 scale and Monster Truck class vehicles, radio systems are limited to the use of two channels, operating two servos, or a combination of one servo and one electronic speed controller. More than one function is allowed per device, but a servo is limited to one output shaft. Control is limited to forward, brake, and steering. The use of reverse in competition is not allowed. On 1/5 scale vehicles, three channels and more than two
servos may be used, but control is limited to forward, brake and steering.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

And note that the frequency assignments come from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

2.4 gigahertz is considered a free band for any low power use, such as cordless phones, wireless computer peripherals, and radio controlled models. There are virtually no conflicts because of the high frequency and the bandwidth.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
40 mHz is not legal for use in radio controlled models in the US.

Problem is you might find that the 40mhz frequency is open for use for other things and well....you could find yourself glitching from who knows what.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Now i need what to do with these 40meg radios i got, their not exactly low end

But 27meg FM is okay, right?

Jim, if i ran a 40meg anyways and say i didnt suffer from any glitches would i still get away with it? Just i feel so bad with all this equipment i got
Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Lord

The way you asked the first question leads me to believe you don't quite understand AM, FM, or PCM. I don't want to go into an explaination of that but you should understand this: if you're on 26.995 mHz (channel 1) then you're on channel 1 regardless of the type of modulation you're using. If your buddy is on channel 1 AM and you're on channel 1 FM you're both on the same frequency!!!

I only say that because years ago someone tried telling me that 66 FM and 66 AM were different frequencies "because if you look at a car radio they're different."

As far as using 40mHz it depends on the track and if they enforce it. If they are a ROAR track they're supposed to enforce it, but many local tracks don't. However if someone from the FCC finds you on the wrong band you can get a hefty fine (max is $5000, I think). Not very likely.

If they're high end radios you should be able to change the transmitter module. This is the part of the radio that actually transmits the signals. Just replacing the module is cheaper than buying a new radio. And while you're at it step up to DSS!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
The way you asked the first question leads me to believe you don't quite understand AM, FM, or PCM. I don't want to go into an explaination of that but you should understand this: if you're on 26.995 mHz (channel 1) then you're on channel 1 regardless of the type of modulation you're using. If your buddy is on channel 1 AM and you're on channel 1 FM you're both on the same frequency!!!

I only say that because years ago someone tried telling me that 66 FM and 66 AM were different frequencies "because if you look at a car radio they're different."

As far as using 40mHz it depends on the track and if they enforce it. If they are a ROAR track they're supposed to enforce it, but many local tracks don't. However if someone from the FCC finds you on the wrong band you can get a hefty fine (max is $5000, I think). Not very likely.

If they're high end radios you should be able to change the transmitter module. This is the part of the radio that actually transmits the signals. Just replacing the module is cheaper than buying a new radio. And while you're at it step up to DSS!

Yes, you're quiet right. About the module, yeah right again. But i would still need to replace the 4x40meg KO RX's + Crystals that i have which isnt entirely cheap but, such is life ... Thanks for the tippers Jim
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeMalinconico
Well said Rick,you have done a great deal of work at FBF mainly for other people.You made it grow into a GREAT place to race,the comp.is getting better,people are getting serious about this hobby.Lets continue to grow.
I dont want money fron the club,I would rather the club grow instead.
I want Dexter to do the right thing and help me rebuld my car.This is the 3rd
car and 3rd day of racing that I had to missout on.I did not want to sound like it was Ricks fault cause its not.Rick is a stand up man.When is dexter going to learn to just check the clip board.It's very simple.Just to let everyone know I am going to DSM,lets hope it works this time for me.

OVER AND OUT
Mike Malinconico.

I hope that the DSM works out for you it has not failed me for the years that it has existed I have had it.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Yes, you're quiet right. About the module, yeah right again. But i would still need to replace the 4x40meg KO RX's + Crystals that i have which isnt entirely cheap but, such is life ... Thanks for the tippers Jim
Hey I try.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Tough conversation, but at the end of the day it's simple. He who has the clip, has the right to "switch on".. Anyone else doing so, is liable for damages.

And after the third time? Regardless of any reason, you own the crashed car. No clip, no power... Forget excuses, pony up and make amends.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default funny you say that

Darint - I can only assume that you run at Joyce Park. That is where my multiple incident, zero action incident occurred. The people running the event at your home track when I was in town...couldn't manage to muster an 'I'm sorry'. I've heard good things about that track, but sure left there with a bitter taste.

I'm stoked that it sounds like there is at least some accountability taking place here.

In my opinion, the primary focus should be on making sure it doesn't happen [again].

Offenders found guilty of multiple 'strikes', should suffer a penalty. I would sure think a multiple offender should be asked to leave or be banned from the track for a '30 day training session'. This is easy to execute. Getting someone who can't get it together to check the freq board...honestly, what are the chances that type of person is going to hand over a stack of Franklins? I would be willing to bet, payment for 'shooting' someone down is a rare thing.

As previously stated, I strongly feel it is the club or track president, head honcho, organizer (whatever group collecting track fees) responsibility to inform everyone up front as well AND enforce this. 'Street Justice' on these boards can be big bark, with little bite.

A great example of someone that operates this way, is Scotty Earnst at Trackside outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Every year at the Novak race, he states up front, anyone caught with a radio on that' should be (DSM included), would be asked to leave. He regularly sweeps the pits enforcing this rule.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Sounds like this Dexter fellow is a joke, if this happened to me I sure wouldn't be sitting around "MM" (sorry dont know you, people are calling you that ^_^) I'd be chasing this fella up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.